Skip to main content
Topic: Winter Olympics (Read 7004 times) previous topic - next topic

Winter Olympics

I can explain in two words while I'll be watching some of the Winter Olympics:

TORAH BRIGHT!

Ok I'm shallow, but she is the package!!!

'The Queen of Extreme!'

Re: Winter Olympics

Reply #1
I refuse to watch it because it's crap and they think by shoving it down our throats we should be interested (see MKR). Waste of money Channel 10 because I wont be visiting your station for a fortnight.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #2
I refuse to watch it because it's crap and they think by shoving it down our throats we should be interested (see MKR). Waste of money Channel 10 because I wont be visiting your station for a fortnight.

Amen!!!

Reply #3
Worth watching just for mel mclaughlin  :P

Reply #5
Its culture.  Its what we are used to.

We are Carlton supporters. Give us ball sports and we are happy.  The best we will get entertained by at the Winter Games, is Ice Hockey.  The rest of it, is not for us.

Im sure Melbourne Fans would be amused by it all and are relishing it.

Getting serious, people who enjoy these sorts of activities will really like the winter games.  Like the Summer games, most of us are hardly amused unless we have a particular sport of interest.  Thats fair enough.  The actual vision we get showed is hard to watch.  I like to watch events, these days its spot the aussie (understandable), so you have no idea how well or poorly they are going unless the judges tell you so or they focus on that event for a little while.  Proper sports fans, dislike that approach to Olympic broadcasts as far as Im concerned as its glorified advertising and insulting to our intelligence.  I have not appreciated the Olympics as a spectacle since the early 90's, and that was due to the format they used to use to display the games.  They showed us events.  Sure, you get snippets here and there now, but its annoying and hard for a sports fan to watch.  Other people will have a different opinion, and thats fair enough too.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #6
It's like anything.....
Different things appeal to different folk

I enjoy the Downhill racing, Slalom, Ski Jumping, Bobsleigh, Speed Skating...
I couldn't give two hoots about the tricky aerial twists and turns and figure skating but for some they're the real attraction.

The Curling just makes me laugh :D

Reply #7
Hard to imagine a worse commentator than Bradbury.

Reply #8
Bradbury is to commentating what he was to racing, one of the luckiest ever.

Curling is a disgrace and an insult to the athletics who win the same medal but require skill and courage.

Reply #9
Do winter sports fans really call Pullen "Alex Chumpy Pullen"?  Or do they call him "Chumpy" or "Alex Pullen"?  I've never heard anyone say, "Brendan 'The Fev' Fevola", or "Mitch 'Robbo' Robinson" ...

For me, hearing the triple-barrelled name is like hearing the sound of fingernails scraping down a blackboard, much the same as when I hear someone referring to "the Carlton Blues".

Reply #10

Curling is a disgrace and an insult to the athletics who win the same medal but require skill and courage.

How can they say Curling is a sport with a straight face?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #11
Do winter sports fans really call Pullen "Alex Chumpy Pullen"?  Or do they call him "Chumpy" or "Alex Pullen"?  I've never heard anyone say, "Brendan 'The Fev' Fevola", or "Mitch 'Robbo' Robinson" ...

For me, hearing the triple-barrelled name is like hearing the sound of fingernails scraping down a blackboard, much the same as when I hear someone referring to "the Carlton Blues".

The Americans do this quite a lot don't they?

Reply #12

How can they say Curling is a sport with a straight face?

A few people on here mightn't like it but others do, especially in Europe. Only lawn bowls on ice  and that's a sport. Just many uninformed opinions with no understanding of the sport.

The negativity and ignorance on  this site generally is often amazing.