Skip to main content
Topic: South Africa v Australia - touring squad (Read 39947 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: South Africa v Australia - touring squad

Reply #15
Dont expect Johnson to provide the same terror as the Saffies are fed a diet of pace bowling and its going to get down to the 1%ers like who catches better in the field and if our tailenders can keep making runs to prop up the top order.

Johnson gave the Poms the heebie-jeebies so much they were shell-shocked into thinking every ball he bowled was a hand-grenade.

There is no way known that the Yarpies will fall for that trick and they will more than likely attack anything short or wide as their top order batsman are way more accomplished and talented.

This series is a defining one for our players with the bat, a number of them have suspect techniques and/or temperaments and they will be exposed under the bowling pressure from Steyn, Morkel & co.

Not expecting to win this series at all, in fact I'm prepared to rejoice at a drawn one actually.

Before the Ashes Cook, Bell, Trott and Pieterson were all very accomplished and talented.

Excactly, they are #2 ranked side in the world still...and for a reason over the last couple of years.  Why is it that every side we beat are all of a sudden 2nd rate opposition ?.....and just wait until we play someone decent.......well, we just did.

Don't think for one minute that Kallis retiring will have no impact on the Saffers, that throws their batting order into disarray.  Their batting against a pop gun Indian pace attack hasn't been all that wonderful, not to mention the balance of their bowling attack.  Without him to bowl overs to allow Steyn & Morkel to rest, how will they fare now ?.

Yes our top order still didn't all fire at once this series, but for a change someone usually stood up and gave us a total to bowl at.....and it wasn't even Clarke most of the time ! That's a huge bonus after the last couple of series.

Our series against the Saffers have always been close ones recently, no matter how we've been travelling....I don't expect this one to be any different.

The image of Amla being bowled ducking a not very short ball will have been studied a few times by the likes of Johnson, Harris & Siddle that's for sure !

Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #16
Dont expect Johnson to provide the same terror as the Saffies are fed a diet of pace bowling and its going to get down to the 1%ers like who catches better in the field and if our tailenders can keep making runs to prop up the top order.

Johnson gave the Poms the heebie-jeebies so much they were shell-shocked into thinking every ball he bowled was a hand-grenade.

There is no way known that the Yarpies will fall for that trick and they will more than likely attack anything short or wide as their top order batsman are way more accomplished and talented.

This series is a defining one for our players with the bat, a number of them have suspect techniques and/or temperaments and they will be exposed under the bowling pressure from Steyn, Morkel & co.

Not expecting to win this series at all, in fact I'm prepared to rejoice at a drawn one actually.

Before the Ashes Cook, Bell, Trott and Pieterson were all very accomplished and talented.

Excactly, they are #2 ranked side in the world still...and for a reason over the last couple of years.  Why is it that every side we beat are all of a sudden 2nd rate opposition ?.....and just wait until we play someone decent.......well, we just did.

Don't think for one minute that Kallis retiring will have no impact on the Saffers, that throws their batting order into disarray.  Their batting against a pop gun Indian pace attack hasn't been all that wonderful, not to mention the balance of their bowling attack.  Without him to bowl overs to allow Steyn & Morkel to rest, how will they fare now ?.

Yes our top order still didn't all fire at once this series, but for a change someone usually stood up and gave us a total to bowl at.....and it wasn't even Clarke most of the time ! That's a huge bonus after the last couple of series.

Our series against the Saffers have always been close ones recently, no matter how we've been travelling....I don't expect this one to be any different.

The image of Amla being bowled ducking a not very short ball will have been studied a few times by the likes of Johnson, Harris & Siddle that's for sure !

Could be a bouncer fest this series..........bowling regular line and length didnt work last time with Amla and DeVilliers loves hooking the quicks so I reckon Johnson will be looking to bounce the Saffies top order and its no secret that Michael Clarke doesnt like the short stuff and I reckon Steyn will be introduced everytime Clarke comes to the wicket. There is a clip of Steyn bowling an over to Clarke on Youtube and the Aus skipper looks like he didnt want to get behind too many deliveries and I dont expect him to get too balls many to drive.
Reckon Johnson and Harris  will be lining Smith up for the Cook lbw type dismissal and I'm hoping there is a bit in the SA pitches to aid their cause and they are not flat boring batting tracks....danger man might be Faf Duplessi coming in down the order vs tired bowlers and the old ball....

Its just a pity its isnt a 5 test series and I always enjoy the us vs the Saffies as its a real contest.......

Reply #17
The 12....

Warner
Rogers
Watson
White
Clarke
Smith
Haddin
Johnson
Harris
Siddle/ Pattinson
Lyon

The rest...

Wade
Doolan
Faulkner

If we take 16

Coulter-Nile

Reply #18
The 12....

Warner
Rogers
Watson
White
Clarke
Smith
Haddin
Johnson
Harris
Siddle/ Pattinson
Lyon

The rest...

Wade
Doolan
Faulkner

If we take 16

Coulter-Nile

White?

I'm still laughing.....

??? ??? :o
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #19
The 12....

Warner
Rogers
Watson
White
Clarke
Smith
Haddin
Johnson
Harris
Siddle/ Pattinson
Lyon

The rest...

Wade
Doolan
Faulkner

If we take 16

Coulter-Nile

White?

I'm still laughing.....

Cam White has had a good season but Steve Smith is the younger model of this type of player and the selectors wont want a middle order with an older Steve Smith in it...plenty of stroke play but not much technique and I think White would be out of his depth vs the SA pace attack.
Doolan is more your traditional straight bat type of player and I think he will be first choice to replace Bailey however the dont fix it if it isnt broken rule might apply and Bailey might be lining up in the first test as the selectors might be loathe to change a winning team.
Reckon Mitch Johnson might be required to some more batting this series and has some form vs the saffies with a century from memory....

Reply #20
The 12....

Warner
Rogers
Watson
White
Clarke
Smith
Haddin
Johnson
Harris
Siddle/ Pattinson
Lyon

The rest...

Wade
Doolan
Faulkner

If we take 16

Coulter-Nile

White?

I'm still laughing.....

Is this the same person who wants to drop  a  bloke who's made 68, 176, 51, 103, 83no and 43 on 6 of his last 7 Tests and bowls too, and you laugh at others. At least I pick blokes in form and not with agendas. White has been in outstanding,and highly consistent form all summer, probably the best of his career, but obviously your selection criteria isn't picking players on form. You obviously don't follow cricket so it's safe not to take your opinion seriously.

Guess who i'm laughing at now. Pointing and laughing.

Reply #21
The 12....

Warner
Rogers
Watson
White
Clarke
Smith
Haddin
Johnson
Harris
Siddle/ Pattinson
Lyon

The rest...

Wade
Doolan
Faulkner

If we take 16

Coulter-Nile

White?

I'm still laughing.....

Cam White has had a good season but Steve Smith is the younger model of this type of player and the selectors wont want a middle order with an older Steve Smith in it...plenty of stroke play but not much technique and I think White would be out of his depth vs the SA pace attack.
Doolan is more your traditional straight bat type of player and I think he will be first choice to replace Bailey however the dont fix it if it isnt broken rule might apply and Bailey might be lining up in the first test as the selectors might be loathe to change a winning team.
Reckon Mitch Johnson might be required to some more batting this series and has some form vs the saffies with a century from memory....

This is a huge series, as is the next one against India here, so I'm just looking for blokes in form.
White is a very experienced player so I  think right now he's go well  against any attack. We actually, as a side, tend to  handle  the SA attack well. Have for the last few series, barring an innings of 47. Think it's because their wickets and bowlers are similar in many ways to ours. Series with SA are always very close.

Reply #22
The 12....

Warner
Rogers
Watson
White
Clarke
Smith
Haddin
Johnson
Harris
Siddle/ Pattinson
Lyon

The rest...

Wade
Doolan
Faulkner

If we take 16

Coulter-Nile

White?

I'm still laughing.....

Is this the same person who wants to drop  a  bloke who's made 68, 176, 51, 103, 83no and 43 on 6 of his last 7 Tests and bowls too, and you laugh at others. At least I pick blokes in form and not with agendas. White has been in outstanding,and highly consistent form all summer, probably the best of his career, but obviously your selection criteria isn't picking players on form. You obviously don't follow cricket so it's safe not to take your opinion seriously.

Guess who i'm laughing at now. Pointing and laughing.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/player/8291.html

Outstanding form?

Averaging 50 odd in Shield games......well, you could argue he'll do as well as Watto? But,......

Is he a better or even safer bet than Khawaja, Doolan, S. Marsh....?

On "form", Marcus North creams him (averaging circa 80):

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/player/6943.html

Better bowling numbers too?  ;)

But hey, what would I know......?

Objectivity vs. Parochialism?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #23
[move]HAURITZ[/move]

Reply #25
My Preferred Squad:

Warner
Rogers
Hughes
Watson
Clarke
Smith
Haddin
Johnson
Harris
Siddle
Lyon

Doolan
Pattinson
Faulkner
C-Nile

I am dropping Bailey, bringing in Hughes who is in outstanding form in sheild cricket with over 20 first class tons at a young age. Doolan to come into the side after watto does his hammy/groin/heart muscle in game 1.

Reply #26
Saffies with Steyn and DeVilliers having injuries are ripe for the pickingIMO, no cricket for them for 4 weeks  or so means they wont be cherry ripe for the first test and with Kallis retiring and the likely selection of a lesser player like Mclaren being included we have never had a better chance to knock them over IMO.

I'd be very selective in playing Mitch Johnson or any other key player over the next month and wanting my best eleven fighting fit for that first test...if we cant win the first one then I reckon they will take the series...

Reply #27
The squad has been announced:
1. M.Clarke (c)
2. B.Haddin (vc/wk)
3. C.Rogers
4. D.Warner
5. S.Watson
6. S.Smith
7. A.Doolan
8. S.Marsh
9. N.Lyon