Skip to main content
Topic: South Africa v Australia - touring squad (Read 39960 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: South Africa v Australia - touring squad

Reply #30
Shane Watson again ruled out of a test match! Out for test 1 v RSA. If I wasnt over it before I certainly am now. Good thing is we will have two new (or new to the test team) bats in - from Doolan (surely guaranteed now), Hughes, Henriques and Shaun Marsh who is Watson's replacement.

Reply #31
Dools at 3, Hughes at 6 for mine.

Reply #33
The only thing Marsh has going for him over Hughes is he has a direct relative who used to play for Austalia.

Its a joke Marsh was even selected in the original touring party...

Reply #34
The only thing Marsh has going for him over Hughes is he has a direct relative who used to play for Austalia.

Its a joke Marsh was even selected in the original touring party...

Actually, his form this season is far better than Doolan's - as a matter of fact.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #35
Dont think its going matter if its Doolan, Marsh or Hughes..I expect the South African quicks to run through our top order and it will be down to Haddin, Johnson, Siddle to make some runs when the ball is older and the bowlers tired.
Marsh, Doolan, Hughes and Henriques is a rubbery quartet to be expecting runs from vs one of the best attacks in the world led by the best fast bowler.

Its down to Johnson, Siddle and Harris to win this series with the ball and I think the Saffies batting is nowhere near as good as their bowlers and we can exploit that.

Reply #36
The 15-player ICC World Twenty20 squad is: neither of the Marsh brothers....odd.

George Bailey (Capt, Hobart Hurricanes)
Dan Christian (Brisbane Heat)
Nathan Coulter-Nile (Perth Scorchers)
James Faulkner (Melbourne Stars)
Aaron Finch (Melbourne Renegades)
Brad Haddin (Sydney Sixers)
Brad Hodge (Melbourne Stars)
Brad Hogg (Perth Scorchers)
Glenn Maxwell (Melbourne Stars)
James Muirhead (Melbourne Stars)
Mitchell Johnson (Brisbane Heat)
Mitchell Starc (Sydney Sixers)
David Warner (Sydney Thunder)
Shane Watson (Brisbane Heat)
Cameron White (Melbourne Stars)

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/exotic-australian-squad-named-for-t20-world-cup-20140211-32f2h.html#ixzz2t0DX0V2v
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #37
Dont think its going matter if its Doolan, Marsh or Hughes..I expect the South African quicks to run through our top order and it will be down to Haddin, Johnson, Siddle to make some runs when the ball is older and the bowlers tired.
Marsh, Doolan, Hughes and Henriques is a rubbery quartet to be expecting runs from vs one of the best attacks in the world led by the best fast bowler.

Its down to Johnson, Siddle and Harris to win this series with the ball and I think the Saffies batting is nowhere near as good as their bowlers and we can exploit that.
It will be interesting, as our batting certainly does not look to be the matchwinner that our bowling could be. The Middle Order does look to be somewhat elastic.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #38

It will be interesting, as our batting certainly does not look to be the matchwinner that our bowling could be. The Middle Order does look to be somewhat elastic.

I really hope they go with Hughes......I'm still not sure what he did wrong to get dropped in England after scoring an unbeaten 80 in the first test & putting on over 160 with Agar for the last wicket.  He failed in the 2nd test....but so did everybody.  I thought he worked hard at #6 & given the saffers lack of a decent spinner, could be very dangerous coming in with the shine off the ball.  Shaun Marsh......still not sure why he deserves to be over there.

The only other thought would be in batting one of the leftys up at #3 is that Steyne & Philanders stock ball is the outswinger to right handers.  But I think they've pretty much penciled in Doolan at 3.

I'm also not a Watson fan...but we will miss his overs more than his batting & more than I care to admit.

Hopefully Mitch can crack Smiths finger open again early on in the first !

cheers

Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #39
Hughes averages over 50 in SAF too iirc.

But yep, agreed with EB1, our batting is extremely brittle overall.

Reply #40
If Marsh plays and makes runs, I will say that the selectors should be considered greats because they will have picked a winner based upon zero elapsed form.  Given his last efforts against that mob, and no red-ball form, it must be considered an extremely risky punt.

On another point, I took a double take recently when I thought I heard a current selector say that "shield cricket was irrelevant: and that "they didn't take much notice of it".  You can imagine my shock with what I thought I heard.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #41
Not a great start at all. 2/26 in the 9th over with both openers back in the pavilion. All of the saffies quicks look very dangerous.

A good test for Marsh and Doolan here. Need to steady the ship and give Clarke some room to work with.
Blue boy born 'n' raised.
Reppin' the navy since '95.

Reply #42
If Shaun Marsh has, or can get his head in order, he will be a gun.

Far better than his Dad.

Ditto younger brother Mitch, who should have gone ahead of Henriques imo.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #43
4 FOR 98.

eb1 - another top order disaster.
Finals, then 4 in a row!