Skip to main content
Topic: South Africa v Australia - touring squad (Read 40166 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: South Africa v Australia - touring squad

Reply #75
At the risk of pre-judging this Test and ending up with egg on face, where is the South Africans' so-called backbone?

I suspect it's been broken by a couple of Mitch Johnson in swingers! ;)
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #76
50 for Doolan!! Well done son.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #77
And a ton for Warner on cue! :D
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #78
A ton to Warner - another cricketer that I had written off.  I must be a good judge  :-[
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #79
The run rate is 4.5  :o
I reckon we'll be 500 in front early on the fourth day and will have ample time to bowl them out.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #80
At the risk of pre-judging this Test and ending up with egg on face, where is the South Africans' so-called backbone?

I suspect it's been broken by a couple of Mitch Johnson in swingers! ;)

The the last series we played when Smith and others got a few broken bones courtesy of Johnson laid the foundations...I'm convinced Kallis retired to save the average and avoid any damage so he was intact to handle that attractive model girlfriend of his....

Reply #81
With the exception of de Villiers, the South Africans haven't shown too much backbone  :o

I'll put my hand up to believing that Johnson should never play Test cricket again  :-[  What a revelation he's been since getting a recall.  It just shows that the most accomplished batsmen can be unsettled by accurate, very fast bowling, particularly if the other quicks can maintain the pressure.

Not taking anything away from Mitchell, he has bowled very well this summer, but the last bit DJC wrote is the key. Bowl tight as a group(pack), build consistent pressure and the wickets will come.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #82
With the exception of de Villiers, the South Africans haven't shown too much backbone  :o

I'll put my hand up to believing that Johnson should never play Test cricket again  :-[  What a revelation he's been since getting a recall.  It just shows that the most accomplished batsmen can be unsettled by accurate, very fast bowling, particularly if the other quicks can maintain the pressure.

Not taking anything away from Mitchell, he has bowled very well this summer, but the last bit DJC wrote is the key. Bowl tight as a group(pack), build consistent pressure and the wickets will come.

You can add taking catches as well...the Saffie bowlers like the English created chances but have  both opposing teams have not caught well and credit must go to the Australian fielding coach who has upped the standard and made us the best in the world IMO.

Reply #83

You can add taking catches as well...the Saffie bowlers like the English created chances but have  both opposing teams have not caught well and credit must go to the Australian fielding coach who has upped the standard and made us the best in the world IMO.

True.

Reply #84
Let's just hope that the success of Marsh, Doolan and Smith in this test keeps Watson out and they don't drop Rodgers for him next test.

Hopefully we can bat the better part of two sessions and tire the SA bowlers out, Steyn is class but looks like he is sick, apart from a few balls there was no real zip and Philander is a toothless tiger without consistent seam movement.

Good to see Doolan play each ball on it's merits and not get flustered when he wasn't scoring, the extra overs their bowlers used up is precious next test as well as this one.

Reply #85
Let's just hope that the success of Marsh, Doolan and Smith in this test keeps Watson out and they don't drop Rodgers for him next test.

Hopefully we can bat the better part of two sessions and tire the SA bowlers out, Steyn is class but looks like he is sick, apart from a few balls there was no real zip and Philander is a toothless tiger without consistent seam movement.

Good to see Doolan play each ball on it's merits and not get flustered when he wasn't scoring, the extra overs their bowlers used up is precious next test as well as this one.

tHIS IS IN MY PRAYERS TOO.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #86
Mitch still reeking havoc!!!

We have to win this!!!!
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #87
Smashed them by 281 runs !!!

This should provide a bit of confidence for the rest of the series !!!!

Mitchell 12 wickets and nearly all batsmen made a contribution = good win !!

Reply #88

Rogers is the one most in trouble if they wanted Watson. Rogers deserves to keep his spot based on the performances in two series against England and it is only one Test but if Australia want the extra bowler then it'll be him that goes. Watson's been pretty good, bat and ball, in his last 7 Tests and would slot into the opening position easily but we won so easily so the selectors may be reluctant to muck about too. Depends on  the wicket. If it  has less life the  the extra bowler might be handy.

Reply #89
Cmon...Rodgers has one bad test after a string of good ones....he has earned that spot and should keep his place IMO.
The Saffie quicks bowled ok IMO and were let down by their fielders..he got unlucky with that second innings play on yet Warner got dropped three times...thats just luck going one players way and in Rodgers case he had no luck, bit like Smith who middled one through square leg you thought but picked out Doolan who took a great catch in close.

Warner was right the Saffies chucked it in and looked like England in the field....bit of pressure and they folded with only DeVilliers and Steyn playing like the class players they are....
Should be 2-0 after the next test and we only need to beat India to be No 1 in the world IMO.....

Ryan Harris looking a bit tired.....

Mitch Johnson is the No 1 bowler in world cricket...I dont care what the stats/ratings show ie Philander/Styen/Ajmal... he has that title....