Skip to main content
Topic: R2 : Blues V Tigers (Venting & Vitriol)  (Read 61450 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: R2 : Blues V Tigers (Venting & Vitriol)

Reply #120
94% efficiency does not back that up.   Was good by foot and slick with his hands.   Broke the lines more times than i can remember.   Loved his game.  has the mongrel of his old man.

Really, you believe that stat?

The kid only had 18 possessions, 94% of 18 is 16.92.

Do you believe he only missed a target or bombed to a contest once?

I loved his game, but 94% from 18 possessions at AFL level, the kid would be on the front page as the next Gary Ablett (Jnr).

Even if he was 70%, that's well above AFL standard. The kid destroyed them, he reminded me of Yarran the way he took the game on. His disposal was excellent.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #121
Encouraging is that we can, as a group, eventually find the minerals to apply legitimate pressure and actually play some very good footy.

There was no pressure applied it was an open game that hinged on turnovers.
There was a period in the first qtr where we were delivering it to Tiggers players with surgeon like precision. I am certain when we had the ball, they just stood around and waited patiently for us to hand it over to them. It was embarrassing. Eliminate those turnovers and I am sure the game would have been different. Richmond are so overrated, top 4 my a hole.
We have this continual thought that we need to play a fast game and play on all the time. our forwards aren't good enough to read the play and lead early enough to get space from their man.
SOMETIMES we should slooow the game down and keep possession. WTF, they had kicked a bag of goals (4 I think) and we had only 8 touches.
We need to learn to stop the rush and keep possession and spot up players.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #122
Make no mistakes, we are a pretty ordinary outfit, with some patchwork players balancing out our ability to play a mix of talls and smalls, but we showed much more effort, ticker, workrate, and application than I have been able to be proud of over the last 14 years.  It wasnt about us being front runners last night either, it was simply grinding out contest after contest, and challenging and scrapping for each and every opportunity we could, and by the end of it, we had blokes getting off the leash and getting into dangerous positions, with some good ball use to get it to them.

There was no scrapping, it was an open game all night, we had to get our chance eventually, and we forked it up. No heart, Richmond are just useless.

The tigers kicked 4 goals in a half.  How is that an open game for them?

2 of them came in junk time of the final quarter too.  Hardly open. they couldnt get out of their defensive third of the park for the first half of the fourth quarter until some rubbish 50 metre penalty helped them get out of jail.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #123
94% efficiency does not back that up.   Was good by foot and slick with his hands.   Broke the lines more times than i can remember.   Loved his game.  has the mongrel of his old man.

Really, you believe that stat?

The kid only had 18 possessions, 94% of 18 is 16.92.

Do you believe he only missed a target or bombed to a contest once?

I loved his game, but 94% from 18 possessions at AFL level, the kid would be on the front page as the next Gary Ablett (Jnr).

Even if he was 70%, that's well above AFL standard. The kid destroyed them, he reminded me of Yarran the way he took the game on. His disposal was excellent.

and on pure ticker and mongrel  he was our best.  

Reply #124
Spot on Agey, the kid is a star.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #125
My team v Bombers in round 3 is:

B: Buckley, Jamison, Waite
Hb: Tuohy, Rowe, Simpson
C: Thomas, Gibbs, Walker
Hf: Everitt, Casboult, Yarran
F: Ellard, Henderson, Garlett
Foll: Wood, Curnow
Rov: Murphy
I/c: Bell, Lucas, Menzel, White
Emerg: Cachia, Giles, Graham

In: Walker, Wood, Casboult
Out: McLean, Warnock, Robinson

Won't happen but I'd like it.

Id be using White forward quite a bit also. The days of Waite + a ruckman playing as our key forwards should have been long gone but surely just has to be now! We can rotate all of these blokes forward to screw with the Bombers matchups - Henderson, Waite, Walker, Everitt, White, Casboult. That's 6 marking targets of differing types. The likes of Everitt, Walker and White are really good MOVING leadup types allowing us greater depth, more options and better flexibility. All can mark well and all can get on their bike and move well.

That's a side with greater flexibility, which just may be a slight strength of ours this year - next week for starters!

Reply #126

He did play well, I am not disputing that, but 94% really?

If you go by the CD stats they also list Curnow as best on ground!

The stats are at best rubbery assessments bent to suit the circumstance.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #127
Was Buckley good enough to earn a rising star nod? He is just eligible. "To be eligible to be nominated for the award, a player must be younger than 21 years of age on 1 January of the award year and have played 10 or fewer senior games before the beginning of the season."

Reply #128
Was Buckley good enough to earn a rising star nod? He is just eligible. "To be eligible to be nominated for the award, a player must be younger than 21 years of age on 1 January of the award year and have played 10 or fewer senior games before the beginning of the season."

He may go close, but there is only one nomination per round and a lot of games left to go!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #129
No, he plays for Carlton so I doubt he is eligible (dripping sarcasm, sorry).
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #130

Gee I hope he does!

Reply #131

He did play well, I am not disputing that, but 94% really?

If you go by the CD stats they also list Curnow as best on ground!

The stats are at best rubbery assessments bent to suit the circumstance.

It's more of a guideline as opposed to an exact science but the 94% does suggest he was great with ball in hand. i didn't notice any issues. I'm not willing to sit through that crap again and confirm.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #132
One thing I will say is how exciting it was to have another young gun out there. That's the only thing that really gets me going ATM.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #133
One thing I will say is how exciting it was to have another young gun out there. That's the only thing that really gets me going ATM.

Agree with this carrots, agree with this. Bucks and Menz working their thing out there. Add another 1,2 3 youngsters soon enough and we can see some light!

Reply #134
It's more of a guideline as opposed to an exact science but the 94% does suggest he was great with ball in hand. i didn't notice any issues. I'm not willing to sit through that crap again and confirm.

I suppose this depends on what you classify as an efficient disposal. Some regimes require a fellow team member to take clean control of the ball, others are happy as long as it doesn't go directly to an opponent or OOBOTF.

Changing the subject, how did Robbo go in your opinion?
The Force Awakens!