Skip to main content
Topic: R2 : Blues V Tigers (Venting & Vitriol)  (Read 61453 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: R2 : Blues V Tigers (Venting & Vitriol)

Reply #150
Its not in the ruck where I want Rowe anyway so not worried about that aspect. Down back with some decent chop out and help from someone like Waite with Jamison is my setup.

With many teams having 200cm+ tall key forwards Rowe can assist here. Got some way to go but give him a decent run at it down back with decent support from other talls and I reckon that's our best way to go right now.

Reply #151
Its not in the ruck where I want Rowe anyway so not worried about that aspect. Down back with some decent chop out and help from someone like Waite with Jamison is my setup.

With many teams having 200cm+ tall key forwards Rowe can assist here. Got some way to go but give him a decent run at it down back with decent support from other talls and I reckon that's our best way to go right now.

Fair enough comment I think.

Off the back of this, if Rowe gets a run I'd like to see Watson get a rotation at being the high leading forward marking on the wing or even playing a wing in the style of Gehrig. If you are going to have that sort of left boot why not have it where it can hurt somebody. We have it bombing long balls to midfield marking contests with a bloke like Warnock as the marking target. FFS, if we are going to do that just give the opposition the ball and stop wasting our fecking time!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #152
If we're rebuilding there's no room for blokes like Rowe and White who are cloggers to the extreme. Rowe is what 27? He still hasn't made it. Time to cut him loose.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #153
If we're rebuilding there's no room for blokes like Rowe and White who are cloggers to the extreme. Rowe is what 27? He still hasn't made it. Time to cut him loose.

White I think has done enough to be kept only as insurance / back up.

Rowe I think is an issue. I get no joy from potting him. Given his health issues, I really wanted a fairytale ending. But he just struggles, with the pace, the skill level, the marking, you name it. Forgive me.

Reply #154
Encouraging is that we can, as a group, eventually find the minerals to apply legitimate pressure and actually play some very good footy.

There was no pressure applied it was an open game that hinged on turnovers.
There was a period in the first qtr where we were delivering it to Tiggers players with surgeon like precision. I am certain when we had the ball, they just stood around and waited patiently for us to hand it over to them. It was embarrassing. Eliminate those turnovers and I am sure the game would have been different. Richmond are so overrated, top 4 my a hole.
We have this continual thought that we need to play a fast game and play on all the time. our forwards aren't good enough to read the play and lead early enough to get space from their man.
SOMETIMES we should slooow the game down and keep possession. WTF, they had kicked a bag of goals (4 I think) and we had only 8 touches.
We need to learn to stop the rush and keep possession and spot up players.
I think we are at our best on the run and kicking to players either in space or running into it. We we slow it down and force 1 on 1 or contested footy, Waite and Hendo aside, we can't take a contested or pack mark to save ourselves. And when we do take a mark, we can't kick (for goal or hit up a player) to save ourselves. Let em run I say, we look awful the rest the time. The problem is, that brand requires high efficiency disposal which we are very good at either.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #155
Btw - how classy was Menzel's snap in the last quarter? Rolls Royce that kid......
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #156

Nup - he's horrendous....Richmond supporters around me were wanting the ball kicked to his opponent, as they well knew whoever the Richmond player was at the time had a pretty good chance of winning the contest or have Rowe totally fork things up, he was a laughing stock.
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #157
Btw - how classy was Menzel's snap in the last quarter? Rolls Royce that kid......

Simply has to be played for the rest of the year, i wouldn't care if he went a month without a touch.

The quicker he gets to the point of getting 15-20+ possessions on a regular basis the better.

Reply #158
Buckley and Menzel impress me. Cripps and Giles have looked the part in the lead up matches. That's encouraging as we need new blood coming through. I  believe we have the talent, that shows with the sometimes glorious bursts we've produced over the last few years, but that lazy culture pervades. Been that way since 2002. Too many blokes cruise and until that sorts we'll struggle.

Gibbs has talent but I wouldn't be working too hard to keep him. One of those talented blokes who tends to cruise too much. Happy for him to do that for someone else.
So play the effin kids. I am sick of week in week out hacksville. I will call it now, I am happy to finish stone motherless last this year if:
Cripps
Giles
Buckley
Nicky G

play every game from here on in over:
McClean
Robbo (considered for selection only after hitting disposal efficiency KPI's in the 2's for 4-5 consecutive games)
Rowe (never to play again)/Casboult
Lucas
Garlett (to some extent)

Some radical hardcore decisions must be made on the list at years end, this Club is a joke a present.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #159
Yes he does look the goods doesn't he. I also liked Jimmy's Boy. Has a real dip.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #160

Nup - he's horrendous....Richmond supporters around me were wanting the ball kicked to his opponent, as they well knew whoever the Richmond player was at the time had a pretty good chance of winning the contest or have Rowe totally fork things up, he was a laughing stock.
Agree with Brettie, I would be stunned and horrified if he ever plays again.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #161
heres the thing

we run a secular comparison - that's why we get no where

eg. Warnock compared to kruezer compared to wood compared to Rowe
compare any of those to a top 4 team ruckman   - incomparable

so on and so forth....

Reply #162
I don't remember whether it was after qtr time or after half time but when the players were in the huddle just before the resumption of play, it was Simmo who appeared to be addressing the team  reading the riot act to the team. If memory serves me correctly, we was eyeballing Gibbs right opposite him or am I mistaken? Either way, Murphy went to say a few words at the end but the players walked away. Seems to be struggling still with the verbal stuff. His effort with Push Up when they were walking off was a little hard to watch.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #163
I cant believe the hate for Rowe on here I thought his game was serviceable,have a look when he went into the ruck in the centre we actually starting winning the ball out of the centre. Warnock got first hands on the ball many times but he doesn't tap it to advantage.
Rowe set up Yarran for a goal with a tap down in a contested marking contest.
In the second half Rowe had many important spoils in the back half of the game.
If your going to sack every defender that concedes a mark to Vickery we are going to be very short of players at the end of the year.
It was his first game and I reckon Wood and him would offer more than Warnock in the team.

Got got caught holding the footy with lack of awareness and also dithered around at half back and kicked the ball into the man on the mark...lacks some body strength as well, got bodied out by Vickery and gave away some frees by being awkward. I thought he did his best work in the ruck where he competed ok.
Had a couple of chances to score but chose to pass off which is strange as he is a better kick for goal than most and my instructions would be when he has a chance to score kick for goal.

Maybe could have played forward more as he had a clear height advantage and Richmond looked a bit short down back but Malthouse was moving players every 5 minutes..
I think he will get another go next week as Essendon are fairly tall down the spine ......I would be playing Giles but MM might think its a bit early and if Cripps and Graham play then it might be one kid too many.

Reply #164

There was a time he just stopped and propped in the first and beat his more experienced opponent hands down.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset