Skip to main content
Topic: R2 : Blues V Tigers (Venting & Vitriol)  (Read 61421 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: R2 : Blues V Tigers (Venting & Vitriol)

Reply #165
Got a feeling not a lot will change for next weeks game, other than Walker coming back in. Mainly because the Bullants aren't having a run this weekend and it would not make sense for Mick to be talking so much about the players lack of run due to pre-season ops and then to pick someone who hasn't played for 2 weeks.

Reply #166
A few positives to come out of last night. Buckley was fantastic for his second game, I almost certain Yarran will now become a star and we started to look more like a footy team in the second half something that I couldn't see in the port game or in the first half.

Put walker, armfield, Judd, Kruezer, Scotland, carazzo and to some extent Doherty and we are 50% better side.
Agree with this to some extent. We need more pace and Army will definitely give us this and some mongrel if nothing else. We need to weed out the imbeciles who cant kick one by one or two by two if necessary. If they haven't learnt by now they never will. It is the single most important factor that costs us the majority of our games. HS reports 36 turnovers, none more telling than Warnock to Vickory in the goal square for a gift of a goal. Add another half a dozen odd shots at goal that went out on the full? Deplorable.

I remember some years back David Parkin talking about the evolution of our game. He mentioned that right across the board, skills had improved - hand balling, tackling, running patterns,etc. you name it. Except goal kicking. The one area he said will probably never improve. If there's anyone out there who knows about the mechanics of goal kicking, I'd love to hear from them. The margin for error must be miniscule.

Improve !  Never mind improve, it's gone backwards at a great rate of knots......Earl Spaulding would have kicked a fair chunk of those set shots.....not to mention the likes of Diesel, Braddles, or Campo.

cheers

Mal.
Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #167
I'm new to modern footy so would love thoughts on the idea of switching Everitt and Gibbs' roles last night either at half time or in the last quarter...Gibbs is a great tagger and was getting cleaned up so thought it would have been smart to get something out of him by have by switching his and Everitt's roles. Everitt had Delidio shutdown so perhaps a move would've been to role the dice and release Everitt into an attacking role. He looked like he could've been dangerous and would have forced a difficult match up for them. Thoughts?

Reply #168
Improve !  Never mind improve, it's gone backwards at a great rate of knots......Earl Spaulding would have kicked a fair chunk of those set shots.....not to mention the likes of Diesel, Braddles, or Campo.

Modern fitness staff ban players from practicing goal kicking because they think over kicking increases the risk of soft tissue injuries. But FFS, that is the sport football!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #169
A disappointing result in the end due to our skill errors and poor goal kicking following on from our slumbers in the 1H. However there were some positives and I didn't leave the game as despondent as I did after R1. Here are my thoughts, player by player.

Sam Rowe - Wasn't as bad IMO as many paint him on here, but does dither and have brain fades. If he could get rid of that aspect of his game he may become a useful foot soldier.

Kane Lucas - Got the ball and ran with it well a few times but mostly turned it over in the end - time running out

Brock McLean - Too slow and was Mr Invisible AFAIWC.

Simon White - Very ordinary foot soldier - we need to replace him with quality. Better option atm than McInnes though.

Bryce Gibbs - Moments of real class but generally does not look very interested. Would not be paying big bucks to keep him.

Robert Warnock - More of the same - run of the mill ruckman, so recognise his limitations 

Mitch Robinson - Better last night, but pretty much his usual fare. I personally think he's a luxury we can't afford and we need a more skilled mid to replace him.

Tom Bell - Showed a lot last night IMO and really surprised me. I think we should persevere with him as I'm a lot more confident now that he'll come good.

Jarryd Waite - Obvious talent forward and back but his goal kicking is very hit and miss. Make the most of him while he's around - we don't have an obvious replacement.

Jeff Garlett - Needs to stop being a show pony and show more focus and ruthlessness - he'd be a lot better for it.

Chris Yarran - Impressive last night IMO. Showed he could be good defensively and open up the opposition. Also is beginning to show a bit was leadership - he's on the right track now.

David Ellard -  Good foot soldier.

Ed Curnow - Very good tagger/nullifier but needs to improve his disposal and be more damaging in positive ways. He's on the right track though.

Kade Simpson - Spiritual captain and key part of the soul of the CFC.

Lachie Henderson - Very good forward and back. Key part of our future.

Marc Murphy - Good game last night but I don't think he's 100% fit and I don't think he's a truly inspiring leader.

Dale Thomas - Class act and will prove worth his weight in gold IMO (Yes I know he's being paid that kind of dough!)

Andrejs Everitt - Good acquisition who defends well and pops up forward to kick a few valuable goals.

Michael Jamison - Outclassed Jack last night - hope he can stay 100% fit.

Troy Menzel - Shows pure class at times - part of our future for sure - keep playing him Mick.

Zach Tuohy - Like the strength and toughness of Zac but has not yet hit his straps this year.

Dylan Buckley - Pure guts, determination, pace and at times a fair bit of skill. As for Menzel, keep playing him Mick.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #170
re: Gibbs vs Ellis... I would have sent Gibbs to FF...evacuated the FF line and left Gibbs one out vs Ellis and told him to lead hard.
Richmond do it with Martin...leave him one out with an acre to work in..sometimes Mick doesnt think outside the square often enough IMO...

Reply #171
re: Gibbs vs Ellis... I would have sent Gibbs to FF...evacuated the FF line and left Gibbs one out vs Ellis and told him to lead hard.
Richmond do it with Martin...leave him one out with an acre to work in..sometimes Mick doesnt think outside the square often enough IMO...

Think it was Martin playing in that situation who out-bodied 2E to kick the sealer.

Reply #172

Think it was Martin playing in that situation who out-bodied 2E to kick the sealer.

Tuohy on Martin was not a good match up, Martin is too agile for most defenders in the league let alone Tuohy who often turns like a ruck.

On another note, watching the replay, watch in the background. Count how many Carlton players you see standing watching the game. They have no idea where they are supposed to be or who they are playing on. That my fellow Carlton fans is a coaching problem!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #173

Tuohy on Martin was not a good match up, Martin is too agile for most defenders in the league let alone Tuohy who often turns like a ruck.

On another note, watching the replay, watch in the background. Count how many Carlton players you see standing watching the game. They have no idea where they are supposed to be or who they are playing on. That my fellow Carlton fans is a coaching problem!

Noticed exactly that at the game. One example right in front of us, Robbo I think, in our D50 looked at his man who didn't have the ball but moved towards the arc, then looked at the man with the ball and started to go towards him, stopped and the ran back towards his own man but only got within 6 or 7 meters of him. Meanwhile the man with ball passed it off to another Tiger who goaled. Meanwhile Robbo was alone in no man's land. Talk about 2 minds or going around in circles!  ::)

Reply #174

Noticed exactly that at the game. One example right in front of us, Robbo I think, in our D50 looked at his man who didn't have the ball but moved towards the arc, then looked at the man with the ball and started to go towards him, stopped and the ran back towards his own man but only got within 6 or 7 meters of him. Meanwhile the man with ball passed it off to another Tiger who goaled. Meanwhile Robbo was alone in no man's land. Talk about 2 minds or going around in circles!  ::)
I would say its a "crap for brains" problem. Player in question no brain surgeon is he?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #175
I would say its a "crap for brains" problem. Player in question no brain surgeon is he?

You wish it was just him, at one stage I glimpsed three of them arguing on the wing about who should be where while three Nthmond players stood free on the F50 arc 25m away!

In general though many players seemed to be doing the above "shuffle" as described by Cookie.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #176

You wish it was just him, at one stage I glimpsed three of them arguing on the wing about who should be where while three Nthmond players stood free on the F50 arc 25m away!

In general though many players seemed to be doing the above "shuffle" as described by Cookie.
Sounds like the old "pointing" our blokes used to do a few years ago, JR was the master. They would all point at spaces and players. I used to to think to myself (channelling my best John Kennedy), "don't point, do"
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #177
I used to to think to myself (channelling my best John Kennedy), "don't point, do"

That should be on our banner next match!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #178

That might be a coaching problem, but the reality is that the blokes are still learning the game plan (most likely).

The fact that they cannot figure out where to be when, and multiple are trying to figure it out, tells me its more of a leadership problem than a coaching problem.

Someone wasnt directing traffic and might have been a bit concerned with how they impact the game, and may then have run off the line they were supposed to be on which causes headaches around the ground.  IF someone kicked a goal, undoubtedly this is the case.

On the flipside, its a breath of fresh air that at least once a game, we are able to get a player in space, off the interchange bench as we are using that thing smarter too.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #179
On the flipside, its a breath of fresh air that at least once a game, we are able to get a player in space, off the interchange bench as we are using that thing smarter too.
;D

Actually we were dead lucky at the time, play had been stopped momentarily while a free kick in the midfield was recalled. The irony for me was it was our free kick, our blokes were arguing about picking up Nthmond players like they expected a turnover rather than making themselves a useful target! The Nthmond HFF did not even bother to move down onto them, in others words our three free blokes on the wing were not even a threat!
The Force Awakens!