Skip to main content
Topic: RIP Bob Hawke (Read 4284 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: RIP Bob Hawke

Reply #15
And some prime ministerial candidates are the ones doing the gold digging.  ;)

Think you have to be the megalomaniac type to want the job and be prepared to sell everything from your soul to your grandmother
to make it happen. Hustling and being almost Real Estate agent like in the skills of deception are all part of the makeup of a wannabe PM.
ScoMo and Bill Shorten are over qualified for the job on this basis....

Reply #16
Think you have to be the megalomaniac type to want the job and be prepared to sell everything from your soul to your grandmother
to make it happen. Hustling and being almost Real Estate agent like in the skills of deception are all part of the makeup of a wannabe PM.

Very true EB. Making a good marriage can also be a very useful tool to have in the bag.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #17
Mixed feelings about Hawke. I felt as though he gave Keating’s neo-liberal agenda a leftie sheen which it didn’t deserve. He seemed affable enough, but his hobnobbing with Holmes à Court and Bond never sat well with me, especially for an ex-union boss. Great Labor politicians of the past (Chifley, Whitlam, JJ Cahill) would be turning in their graves. And the way he treated his ex wife after he took up with Blanche was pretty poor IMO. His daughter had to come out and publicly defend Hazel from accusations that she was a gold digger, accusations that were never countered by Hawke himself.

Given the fairly low political standards under which we currently live, it may seem churlish to pan him, but I’m only a partial fan.

So what did you like about him?
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #18

Couldn't have said it better.

If you're looking for credibility, leadership and integrity we need only look across the 'ditch.'
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #19
Not to mention Oscar-winning acting skills.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #20
So what did you like about him?

He seemed affable enough, and he seemed to have a certain common touch. I think also he and Keating went part of the way to protecting workers as they deregulated the economy.

Reply #21
Baggers....really? 

DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #24
Couldn't have said it better.

If you're looking for credibility, leadership and integrity we need only look across the 'ditch.'

And a lack of gravitas and statesmanship. ( At the risk of shooting bambi)