Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW 2019 List Changes (Read 18877 times) previous topic - next topic

AFLW 2019 List Changes

Interesting times given new teams arrive in 2020.

Not sure what Mo Hope does wrong, I thought I heard she played OK in a couple of AFLW/VFLW games since dropping all that weight but she got kiboshed again.

Rumors Tayla, Vescio, Davey, Harrington and the twins have all been approached. But under the AFLW rules this isn't a shock it's just normal, it's like they want to start and build this competition with maximum free agency. I think that's a bit tough on clubs if nothing else from a marketing and branding perspective, they should be able to secure the marquee players that they invest heavily in a little longer than just a season or two. But I suppose it's more complex give the girls are really only semi-professional status and want to do stuff like have babies. The idea they can be sportswomen as well as wives and mothers, something us old blokes need to get our head around!
The Force Awakens!

Re: AFLW 2019 List Changes

Reply #1
Some notes
* Signing and trade period starts April 8. (end in August)

* Draft isn't until October

* Expansion clubs can sign up to 4 players from the Vic clubs, Adelaide and GWS and up to 8 players from Brisbane and Fremantle.

* AFLW clubs can now offer 2-season contracts (previously just 1)

* Expansion clubs can pre-list 10 players
- 7 will be open-age players from either their own academies or previously listed players from other clubs, nominated for the draft but not drafted in 2018
- 3 will be players born in 2001 (from their own development regions only)
- The rest will be drafted post AFLW season.

Reply #2
Interesting times given new teams arrive in 2020.

Not sure what Mo Hope does wrong, I thought I heard she played OK in a couple of AFLW/VFLW games since dropping all that weight but she got kiboshed again.

Rumors Tayla, Vescio, Davey, Harrington and the twins have all been approached. But under the AFLW rules this isn't a shock it's just normal, it's like they want to start and build this competition with maximum free agency. I think that's a bit tough on clubs if nothing else from a marketing and branding perspective, they should be able to secure the marquee players that they invest heavily in a little longer than just a season or two. But I suppose it's more complex give the girls are really only semi-professional status and want to do stuff like have babies. The idea they can be sportswomen as well as wives and mothers, something us old blokes need to get our head around!

I heard the other day that the first thing Harf did when he got to the club was seek out Bri Davey and convince her to stay. He, coming from Collingwood, knew they were into her and he's pretty sure they wouldn't have been the only ones.

I'd be very surprised if we lost any of the girls you mentioned above as they would be highly rated by Half, and their teammates, and have become a tight unit. Obviously, they are on the verge of success. Why would they leave?

FWIW, Sabrina Frederick-Traub was strongly linked to Richmond (with others circling as well) long before she announced she was leaving Brisbane. I've heard very little else about changes thus far, but we'll know more in a few days when the signing period opens.

Reply #3
Aints have been very quite so far, we have several players who are long long time Aints supporters.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #4
Aints have been very quite so far, we have several players who are long long time Aints supporters.

I'm not great at remembering who supported who, remind me.
Vescio + hoskings??

Reply #5
Our AFLW GM has resigned.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #6
I hope we can recruit Maddy Prespakis' sister. She appears to have a bit going for her as well. We have a relatively late draft pick, but that is what success gives us.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #7
I just want us to at least re-sign our 5 most important players; Prespakis, Vescio, Davey, Harrington and Harris. Unfortunately our success this season means that the new clubs will come after our players harder, but I think we're building the right culture to hopefully keep them here.

Reply #8
https://womens.afl/news/17769/brennan-among-two-dogs-set-to-depart-the-kennel

Here is a good link to keep track of all the AFLW off-season goings on.

Mo hope has been delisted
Katie Brennan is leaving the dogs.

Former carlton player and part of the Tayla Harris trade, Bella Ayre has retired. Think she was only 20 or so too.

Reply #9
I'm getting a bit shat off how the new franchises can cannibalise the existing clubs with no compensation.   History repeats with some of these clubs: Norp with ten years rule,  the tiges with the 80s self destructive trade war.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #10
I'm getting a bit shat off how the new franchises can cannibalise the existing clubs with no compensation.   History repeats with some of these clubs: Norp with ten years rule,  the tiges with the 80s self destructive trade war.

I get why the AFL wants new clubs to be successful but it shouldn’t be at the expense of clubs that have worked hard to build a reasonable list ... with the possible exception of the Crows  :)

I think that the AFL should allow for 2-3 seasons before the expansion clubs are competing for finals spots.  Expansion clubs could have academies and should build lists through State league teams before poaching from established clubs.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #11

It only happens because everyone is a free agent all of the time.

From this season, clubs can sign players for 2 years. So it will mean that a lot of players are off limits.

Apart from that, if you have a happy, healthy club with upside, players won't leave.

So far the only carlton name i've heard thrown up as any chance of really going has been Rhiannon Watt. She was a late in for Tayla Harris in R2, and may have played the next week. She didn't show much worth persisting with IMO so if she wants to go to St. Kilda, good. Means that we can only lose 3 other players from our list to this system....if clubs can find 3 that will leave.

Reply #12
List cuts have started. Nothing too shocking yet.

5 players have been delisted.
Bridie Kennedy
Rhiannon Watt
Shae Audley
Kirby Bentley
Reni Hicks.

Reply #13
Bri Davey has requested a trade to Collingwood  >:(

Reply #14
Bri Davey has requested a trade to Collingwood  >:(

Not happy jan!  >:(

12 months ago, fair enough. I was shocked she stayed. But now? Why?!

Apparantly Gold Coast is having a crack at Gab Pound too.

I really hope we can keep this side together and take it a step further next year.