Skip to main content
Topic: Round 1 - Blues v Tigers (21 March) Pre-Game (Read 32508 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Round 1 - Blues v Tigers (21 March) Pre-Game

Reply #241
The last 4 clashes with the Tigers...

1. We would have 1 or 2 poor quarters.
2. We get overrun in the last quarter (young blokes getting tired).

Will the trend stop tonight?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #243
Now that's a rather silly statement Jack Burton....
Maybe. Fasolo has played 20 games in the last 2 years for 29 goals (1.5/game) and 39 tackles (1.9/game). Jack has played 35 games for 25 goals (0.7/game) and 93 tackles (2.7/game). Polson 13 games for 3 goals (0.2/game) and 41 tackles (3.2/game). So both Jack and Polson have Fasolo covered for tackles, and he's just in front of Jack for goals (by 0.74 goals per game). Fasolo also spent a lot of games last year while fit playing at VFL level. I don't think he's as far ahead of these (younger) guys as you think. I hope to be proven wrong tonight

Reply #244
Maybe. Fasolo has played 20 games in the last 2 years for 29 goals (1.5/game) and 39 tackles (1.9/game). Jack has played 35 games for 25 goals (0.7/game) and 93 tackles (2.7/game). Polson 13 games for 3 goals (0.2/game) and 41 tackles (3.2/game). So both Jack and Polson have Fasolo covered for tackles, and he's just in front of Jack for goals (by 0.74 goals per game). Fasolo also spent a lot of games last year while fit playing at VFL level. I don't think he's as far ahead of these (younger) guys as you think. I hope to be proven wrong tonight

No way Jack is going to get a gig as a 4th tall in the forward line - no good for team balance....

And Polson just isn't up to it (yet) imo.

Bolton clearly thinks he can win this....

Defensive pressure....no reason to think Fas any worse than countless others across the AFL. He has a role to play and if he doesn't....

They say his fitness levels are very, very good - that always helps. And he has a point to prove - to his team mates, to us and to the wider aFL community? That should be a decent motivation?

I'm sure Dimma would rather Polson play than Fasolo?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #245
Interesting Kennedy couldn't even get into the emergencies? Team looks good on paper with the exception of Garlett who makes me nervous. Think they're trying to re-invent a Chris Yarran type but he was much better.
Hope they can at least fight it out to the end ala last JLT v Collingwood. 4 quarter efforts is all I'm after.

Reply #246
Interesting Kennedy couldn't even get into the emergencies? Team looks good on paper with the exception of Garlett who makes me nervous. Think they're trying to re-invent a Chris Yarran type but he was much better.
Hope they can at least fight it out to the end ala last JLT v Collingwood. 4 quarter efforts is all I'm after.

Agree on Garlett....Higgins and Rioli his most likely opponents and I dont like Garlett vs either off them...the other one to watch out for is Jayden Short off the half back line, regular goalkicker
and his opponent will need to be concentrating as he sneaks down forward for the easy hand off from outside 50 and knows where the goals are...

Reply #247
I've commented previously on these forums about Garlett and just not sure he has a truly defensive side to his game. If he's playing in the backline it's for his run and carry out of defence, not for his ability to shut a bloke down IMO.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and we'll know by this time tomorrow, but I think the punt on Fasolo is worth it....big game, big crowd....he can be a match winner with a dozen possessions. I think Ed Curnow and Gibbons can provide the defensive pressure in the forward line anyway and plenty of the mids push forward. Not a knock on Polson but just not sure the rest of his game is up to the occasion right at the minute.

Reply #248
Surely Ed will be used as a stopper on Martin? And/or Cotchin?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #249
I reckon we might see Smurf off the HB line and Garlett up forward....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #250
Covering pace in the back half is a bit of a problem position for us. Garlett is giving it a crack. Had a shocking start in that pos in the practice match against the dawks. Has shown improvement ever since. He's still got a long way to go but will be a big win if he works out.

Plowman isn't quick and neither is Daisy or Newman. Simmo isn't a racehorse either - so we need some speed down there. Hopefully we see Williamson back sooner rather than later.

Reply #251
I reckon we might see Smurf off the HB line and Garlett up forward....

Surely that will never happen.
His defensive efforts are.... not great

Reply #252
I won't be shedding any tears if Ed's elbow accidentally impacts a tiger player's throat.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #253
Maverick Weller getting a game....

Scraping the bottom of the depth barrel already.
And what about the most overrated player in the comp (IMO) Tom Lynch getting a game not having played a game since rnd 14 last year. I hope that selection bites the arrogant kents on the ass.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #254
Getting excited now.  Expecting us to win is a folly (for me), but excited nonetheless!