Skip to main content
Topic: Round 1 - Blues v Tigers (21 March) Pre-Game (Read 33811 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Round 1 - Blues v Tigers (21 March)

Reply #150
Nope, not so.

Carrots was always a ball magnet...even if his ball use was so so early on.

Polson barely touches the ball during a game....and doesn't even get big numbers in the 2s.

Don;t get me wrong I love Carrazzo, but Carrazzo wasn't a ball magnet back then, in his first year he was a run-with tagger at Geelong, in his second year courtesy of injuries he got a midfield rotation and won the VFL teams B&F purely as a result of his possession count at VFL level, yet the Cats still didn't pick him up on the senior list because excluding handballs he could hit a barn by foot! So we picked him up but also as a rookie, not part of the senior list. What possessions he was getting came at VFL level for almost the first 3 years of his career, and he wasn't all that different from Poulson at VFL level.

By his 5th or 6th season Carrazzo won a B&F, yet I suspect after the same period of time Poulson could well be a better player.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #151
Hence why Fas should be miles ahead.....ditto SoJ for that matter.

I'd agree.
If we're ready to flick the switch from 'getting games into youngsters' to 'playing the side with the best chance to win'  that's  how it should be.
Our major deficiency remains our scoring ability and both those players offer more in terms of goal getting than Polson. The argument at selection will be do we lose perhaps, in terms of forward pressure.

Reply #152
Don;t get me wrong I love Carrazzo, but Carrazzo wasn't a ball magnet back then, in his first year he was a run-with tagger at Geelong, in his second year courtesy of injuries he got a midfield rotation and won the VFL teams B&F purely as a result of his possession count at VFL level, yet the Cats still didn't pick him up on the senior list because excluding handballs he could hit a barn by foot! So we picked him up but also as a rookie, not part of the senior list. What possessions he was getting came at VFL level for almost the first 3 years of his career, and he wasn't all that different from Poulson at VFL level.

By his 5th or 6th season Carrazzo won a B&F, yet I suspect after the same period of time Poulson could well be a better player.

I somewhat agree, although Carrazzo was very good by the end of his career.

He had many different attributes.

1.  Elite runner.
2.  Got Leather Poisoning which means he had nous.
3.  Could shut down an opponent who was a genuine on baller.
4.  Was good at jagging clearances.
5.  Was able to work on his kicking.
6.  Made good decisions but executed poorly.
7.  Had better size than Polson.

Polson has a yet to show us much of any of that list.

Carrrazzo is probably a poor example.   Lets get him to Ed Curnow level of application first, and we'll worry about the rest later.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #153
The season when Carrots got pollaxed/driven into the turf by that Essendon thug (before the drug cheating scandal surfaced but after the jabbing has been done), Carrots was in career (and dare I say it) competition best form....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHGH5YLks3w

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/blues-fume-about-tackle-on-carrazzo-20120421-1xe3g.html
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #154
Carazzo was a very fine player and his disposal issues over hyped........Polson is just a D grade hacker in comparison and I cant see the fascination that the coaches and some supporters have with him.

Carrazzo became a very fine player when he began handballing more than kicking and improved his kicking efficiency.  His John Nicholls medal in his 6th season was well deserved.  However, he was a D grade hacker for the first three or four years of his career.

Hence why Fas should be miles ahead.....ditto SoJ for that matter.

But can Fas provide the defensive pressure that Bolton is looking for?  That really hasn't been Fas's strength in the past.  SOJ may be better able to do so but can we afford to have his opponents exploit his lack of pace and create run off halfback?

I'm not sure that Fas has earned a spot in the 22 just yet ...
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #155
I somewhat agree, although Carrazzo was very good by the end of his career.

He had many different attributes.

1.  Elite runner.
2.  Got Leather Poisoning which means he had nous.
3.  Could shut down an opponent who was a genuine on baller.
4.  Was good at jagging clearances.
5.  Was able to work on his kicking.
6.  Made good decisions but executed poorly.
7.  Had better size than Polson.

Polson has a yet to show us much of any of that list.

Carrrazzo is probably a poor example.   Lets get him to Ed Curnow level of application first, and we'll worry about the rest later.

In fairness to Poulson I believe he is already had a top 5 in our clubs time trials, which isn't too bad when you consider who he is trailing behind. The lad has played some very good games at VFL level, last year many of us were calling for him to get a game when his form was red hot at VFL level, yet we waited until it had basically tapered off to give him a game as a FP in which he was concussed, and then we continued to play him. Cynics would say young SoJ got the opportunities that Poulson deserved.

Other than height I can't say Poulson won't meet many of those goals by the time he gets to his 4th or 5th season.

On the Fasolo issue, his big plus is overhead, but if he isn't taking marks and kicking goals he is a liability, a mini-Casboult.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #156
Fasolo is also a very good/smart user of the pill with ball in hand....

Any comparison between him and Polson are chalk and cheese. Fact.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #157
Carrazzo became a very fine player when he began handballing more than kicking and improved his kicking efficiency.  His John Nicholls medal in his 6th season was well deserved.  However, he was a D grade hacker for the first three or four years of his career.

But can Fas provide the defensive pressure that Bolton is looking for?  That really hasn't been Fas's strength in the past.  SOJ may be better able to do so but can we afford to have his opponents exploit his lack of pace and create run off halfback?

Well if Bolton doubts him then he should not have recruited him? 

Considering the Tigers are below full strength we must go all out for the win and Fasolo just must come in for Polson.

Fasolo is an experienced forward who is a proven goalkicker - exactly the type of player we are crying out for considering the 3 young bid forwards we have....Polson on the other hand is if you want to be a kind 'a defensive forward' who has no clue at all what to do when 3-6 times a match he has the ball in his hands. Yep its harsh but anyone that denies it is not watching his games unbiased.

Put simply, If Polson is named in teams announced tomorrow it tells me the club is not serious about winning this week.

Reply #158
Fasolo is also a very good/smart user of the pill with ball in hand....

Any comparison between him and Polson are chalk and cheese. Fact.

I don't think anyone has made a comparison between Fasolo and Poulson.

Fasolo is probably competing with SoJ for a spot, maybe Garlett if Garlett plays forward but it looks like he is pegged for the HBF.

Others like Cunningham and SPS who might be effective HFFs have Fasolo covered in the midfield by some margin.

Fasolo is a good finisher, that is a plus for him, if he gets the football. I think Fasolo needs to kick roughly 50+ goals to break even on the cost of his average defensive abilities, less than 2 goals a game won't cut it! The game is very different to just 2 or 3 years ago, clubs like Nthmond tear you apart if you have just one player coasting.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #159

Carazzo wasnt a hacker at all even in the early stages......comparing the two in their second year.... Carazzo(20 games) averaged twice as many possies, 16 to 8(rounded up).....Polsen(12 games) is a ball butcher with a quarter of his possies in his second year as clangars...Carazzo averaged around 1.3 clangars per game....
Carrazzo in his 3rd year was good for 20 possies a game and in his 4th year went at 25......hardly D grade hacker material.

Polsen isnt even close to Carazzo.......Carazzo could tag effectively and find the ball........Polsen can tag, but cant find the footy and butchers it better than most........

The kid tackles ok and gives effort but has a substandard skillset and isnt a natural ballwinner.........

Reply #160
I don't think anyone has made a comparison between Fasolo and Poulson.

Fasolo is probably competing with SoJ for a spot, maybe Garlett if Garlett plays forward but it looks like he is pegged for the HBF.

Others like Cunningham and SPS who might be effective HFFs have Fasolo covered in the midfield by some margin.

Fasolo is a good finisher, that is a plus for him, if he gets the football. I think Fasolo needs to kick roughly 50+ goals to break even on the cost of his average defensive abilities, less than 2 goals a game won't cut it! The game is very different to just 2 or 3 years ago, clubs like Nthmond tear you apart if you have just one player coasting.

Wow, really?  :o :o

When two blokes are competing for one or two of the few spots in a forward line, comparison is exactly what has been (and should be) going on!

More correctly, Polson or Gibbons - the latter every day of the week.

Fasolo can take a grab, is a clever footballer, uses the ball extremely well and finishes.

Polson (noted he's still young) offers none of that.

Hard to run with the 'if he gets the pill' line when Polson has averaged 7.2 disposals and 3 tackles a game in his brief career (Fas 13.8 and 2.5 respectively).

Oh and 1.3 goals to Fas, 0.2 to young Cam.

There's a bit of comparison for you! ;)
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #163
;) I'm glad somebody gets it.

I'm sure someone will try the same for Carrazzo! ;D

Gets what? That is meaningless when answering the question Fasolo or Polson (or even Gibbons) in the 22 for Thursday. Entirely irrelevant.

Polson may well become a fine player (one day) but right now he's several miles behind either of Gibbons or Fasolo imo.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #164
I reiterate, I think Fasolo's big problem is his lack of defensive pressure, for which he needs to average more than 2 goals a game. To break even he probably has to get close to 3 goals a game under the current player conditions, just to break even, because he will leak goals going the other way. He's only averaged 2 or more goals a game(2.1) once in an eight year career, his career average is 1.3 goals a game!

To me Fasolo is the offer of a sip of water to a man dying of thirst, we need a waterfall, I appreciate our circumstance is somewhat unique!

Long term, play the kids, play the kids, play the kids.
The Force Awakens!