Skip to main content
Topic: VFL Practice match Blues vs. Port (Read 3461 times) previous topic - next topic

VFL Practice match Blues vs. Port

I'll write a full report tomorrow, but we really should have won. Port kicked 6 goals in the last quarter. Some good signs and some interesting kids and a LOT of talent not on the park.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: VFL Practice match Blues vs. Port

Reply #1
Look forward to your report, Crash.

Reply #2
Sorry this has taken so long: working today. :)
Yesterday's early game was a mostly enjoyable affair, which did show a fair bit of promise. We lost: Port Melbourne kicked 6 goals in the last quarter to run over the top of us. But we were not rubbish, we deserved to be in front for most of the night.
I can't comment on the relative strength of the Port side: there was no list provided.

We played a very young squad, with Levi Casboult being only real senior player playing. Other Carlton listed players were:
(1) Finbar O'Dwyer, who wore 11
(2) Ben Silvagni, who wore 18
(3) Lochie O'Brien, who wore 4
(4) Liam Stocker, who wore 23
(5) Matthew Kennedy, who wore 20
(6) Paddy Kerr, who wore 30     and
(7) Tom de Koning, who wore 19.

Of those:
Casboult really showed out. He shared the ruck with Tom de Koning. Levi didn't really do that much in the ruck, but he was excellent when resting forward. His tap work was good early, as our mids started the game well. Levi also showed pace and agility that we haven't seen for years and some good second efforts.
Tom de Koning rucked OK and showed a fair bit of mobility. His ruck work has developed a lot since last year, and his leap at the centre bounce was excellent.
Matthew Kennedy got 18 possessions and did a lot of heavy work in the middle, but he was a bit disappointing, looking slow even at this level. He tried his guts out, but ran out of gas in the last quarter. Not a lot of kicks, mostly handballs, but his disposal looked good.
Lochie O'Brien played the whole game and was probably the best 4 quarter player, but he also ran out of gas and showed his weaknesses as well as his strengths. His relative lack of pace and strength showed.
Liam Stocker looked rusty. He played a half and did some good things, but you could tell he wasn't match fit. I am looking forward to seeing more of Stocker in a few weeks.
Paddy Kerr showed he hasn't played much as a defender: his game awareness for the position was not that good. he made a few mistakes that cost goals because he is still learning the position. He went forward in the last quarter and provided a target we failed to utilize, but it was his 10 minutes in the ruck that almost won us the game. When we were being slain in the centre, Paddy managed to stop the flow and get the ball moving forward our way with some really good second efforts. When he went forward again, we lost the momentum.
O'Dwyer looked promising, and did some nice things. His left foot is a real weapon, or was on Thursday night. he worked hard and tackled hard, but didn't have a huge impact.
Ben Silvagni is also very raw and probably won't get a senior game this year. he is still learning the caper and, like Kerr, allowed goals to be scored through his lack of experience. His is also pretty light at this point, but he looks a little quicker than Jack. His kicking style is very nice and relaxed and his marking was steady.

Of the NB's, we rested almost everyone who'll start the year: Tom Wilson barely was on the field. he was supposed to wear 3, but he didn't take a since clearance. Kieran Collins, Jono O'Rourke, Jesse Palmer and Josh Hill didn't play at all. Sam Fisher played and was one of the best. Ethan Penrith played half a game. Kane Keppel again looked solid, although he probably doesn't do enough. Mason Blakey was excellent and almost looks good enough for the AFL.
Of the newer guys, Noah Wheeler (13) looked promising. Fin Brown (21) will probably get some games, although he really tired. Dreher (46) was good early and stood out with his long blond hair.

Considering that there will be a number of Carlton guys with better fitness and experience and the experienced VFL contingent to come in, signs looked promising. Our defence is the area that looked dodgiest, but it was being flogged in the centre later in the game that made the difference. Port, like Essendon in the seniors, got a lot of easy goals from us not being able to hold the ball in. Once they had the loose man, we were screwed. Our defenders usually played too far in front of their men and were caught out in the turnover. We had to work a lot harder for our goals, and early we really did out work our opponents and won one on one contests.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #3
Who were our boys rucking against?

I suspect the height of Casboult and TDK would give them a head start on most VFL opposition, and if Kerr also had an influence it suggests poor opposition.

Reply #4
Kennedy and OBrien look destined for backup duties...
TDK needs some senior footy and to learn of Kreuzer, very promising tall is TDK and players who can ruck and be handy down forward are like gold..

I'll be interested to see which player out of Goddard and Collins proves the more useful....

Reply #5
Kennedy and OBrien look destined for backup duties...
TDK needs some senior footy and to learn of Kreuzer, very promising tall is TDK and players who can ruck and be handy down forward are like gold..

I'll be interested to see which player out of Goddard and Collins proves the more useful....

I find that hard to believe EB, I was surprised to see them line up in the 2's as well, and While Kennedy looked a class above in the game, O'brian didn't stand out anywhere near as much.

Maybe not enough room to play all the mids in the senior game, and these 2 drew the short straw, I don't know. I'm not willing to write either of them off yet.

I agree TDK shows a lot of promise, Patty Kerr also played well yesterday in his 1st (2nd if played against Hawthorn last week) game as a defender.

BSOS did a couple of nice things, also got caught out of position a couple of times too, this will be a growth year for him, physically and mentally.

His mate Finbar showed some promise up forward, again did a couple of nice things and didn't look out of place.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #6
Who were our boys rucking against?

I suspect the height of Casboult and TDK would give them a head start on most VFL opposition, and if Kerr also had an influence it suggests poor opposition.
I have no idea who was playing for Port: no list was available. They did have a big guy in the ruck, probably some lad recently in the AFL system by the look of him. He has an extra 15 kg at least on de Koning. Whoever it was got better as the game went on because de Koning tired. His team had better systems in the middle as the game went on and the more experienced bodies became important.

Kerr didn't get a lot of possessions, but he did do his job. Port didn't win a one on one contest in their forward half in the first half and only one or two afterwards. Port got their goals a lot like Essendon did in the later game; get the ball out the back and run with men free.
Kerr did very little as a forward because we struggled to get the ball into our attacking area late in the game: Port got centre breaks and used them to create the loose man.
Kerr's most impressive part was in the ruck, where he acted like another midfielder and managed to get the ball going our way with some great tackles and pressure. That really impressed me. if he can do more of that, he'll get games sooner rather than later.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #7
Actually, I forgot all about Goddard. He played mostly in the 2nd half and looked pretty good. he is no speed demon, but he was involved in some really good pieces of play. His kicking was very good, picking out team mates at distance. Of our defenders, he looked like he knew the most about what he was doing.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #8
I find that hard to believe EB, I was surprised to see them line up in the 2's as well, and While Kennedy looked a class above in the game, O'brian didn't stand out anywhere near as much.

Maybe not enough room to play all the mids in the senior game, and these 2 drew the short straw, I don't know. I'm not willing to write either of them off yet.

I agree TDK shows a lot of promise, Patty Kerr also played well yesterday in his 1st (2nd if played against Hawthorn last week) game as a defender.

BSOS did a couple of nice things, also got caught out of position a couple of times too, this will be a growth year for him, physically and mentally.

His mate Finbar showed some promise up forward, again did a couple of nice things and didn't look out of place.

Amers...we cant play them all in the seniors and I dont see Kennedy replacing any of the present onball lineup.....Obrien probably has to sit and wait this season out and then Simpson and Daisy will retire
which should give him an opening back into the seniors.
Jack Silvagni, Gibbons, and Cuningham have all come from nowhere to lock in senior spots for rnd 1 and Garlett appears set for a defensive role down back........

I like Kennedy and think he is a honest handy footballer but Setterfield and Dow are ahead of him in that bigger mid role and I reckon he has to find another position like a half back flank to make him
a more versatile player.....injuries may help him get back in the team but I dont see him in our best 22 at this stage..

Reply #9
Amers...we cant play them all in the seniors and I dont see Kennedy replacing any of the present onball lineup.....

Jack Silvagni, Gibbons, and Cuningham have all come from nowhere to lock in senior spots for rnd 1 and Garlett appears set for a defensive role down back........

I like Kennedy and think he is a honest handy footballer but Setterfield and Dow are ahead of him in that bigger mid role and I reckon he has to find another position like a half back flank to make him
a more versatile player.....injuries may help him get back in the team but I dont see him in our best 22 at this stage..

I'd be interesting in seeing your best 22 eb because I'm not sure you can count. Based on this post and some previous ones which include Williamson etc, you seem to have 30 players in your best 22.

Of all the names mentioned there all were in consideration for my team, but I could only fit half of them in. Jack, garlett, as well as Kennedy Williamson and obrien all couldn't make the cut.

Reply #10
I'd be interesting in seeing your best 22 eb because I'm not sure you can count. Based on this post and some previous ones which include Williamson etc, you seem to have 30 players in your best 22.

Of all the names mentioned there all were in consideration for my team, but I could only fit half of them in. Jack, garlett, as well as Kennedy Williamson and obrien all couldn't make the cut.

Krud..My father was an accountant and taught me to count real fine..........what I think is our best 22 and who I think will play round 1 are two entirely different teams......eg players like Garlett, Daisy wouldnt be in my best 22....Kennedy and Obrien wouldnt be in either team, Williamson wont play round 1 but would be in my best 22 if he was fit and firing..

Reply #11
I agree about the differing types of '22'.
That being said I'd still like to see your best 22.

Reply #12
Did Owies play?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #13
Ok Krud since its still the offseason I'll play.....my best 22

B. Docherty Jones Marchbank

HB. Plowman Weitering Newman

C. Williamson Cripps Fisher

HF. SPS C. Curnow Setterfield

F. Gibbons McGovern Mckay

R. Kreuzer,
RR. Dow
Rover: Walsh

INT DeKoning, J, Silvagni, Cuningham, E. Curnow

Emergency, Kennedy, Obrien, Stocker.

Yep its goodbye to Daisy, Simmo and Marc Murphy.....Docherty and Williamson are in subject to being fit again.
DeKoning is the apprentice to Kreuzer whose tenure is limited due to age/injury...no use playing him in the twos, needs time now to learn from the best..
Stocker will enter the best 22 when ready and replace Ed Curnow but Ed is still ok and Stocker a way off yet.....
Obrien to replace Williamson or Docherty if they fail to recover properly......

Cripps set to play forward a bit more and rotate with Setterfield, Dow.

Wildcard player.......Pat Kerr......if luck with injuries went badly and we lost say McGovern or Weitering or Marchbank i think Kerr would get his opportunity
and could kick start his career. If that doesnt happen and he vegetates in the NB's he will probably get the chop....or rookied at best..

Reply #14
I knew something didn't add up with your numbers, now I can see why. No daisy, simmo and Murphy? It's not 2021...yet.