Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 2: Pre game Palaver; Carlton vs. Gold Coast (Read 18037 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 2: Pre game Palaver; Carlton vs. Gold Coast

Reply #105
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-03-30/blues-will-leave-kreuzer-call-to-last-minute
Despite being named for the clash against the Suns, Blues coach Brendon Bolton said Kreuzer is still no certainty.

"We're going to give him every opportunity. He's really determined to play. We know how Kreuz goes about it so we'll give him every chance," Bolton said at Ikon Park.

"We'll leave it to the deadline."

Reply #106
Went to the open training today.  What I got from it was there are a heap of players that I don't know, Kreuzer didn't really participate and afterwards one player left the ground with an ice pack on the outside of his thigh (refer to first part - no idea who it was! )

The young feels loved it and a few more photos to his collection.   All players very accommodating,  Mrs said SPS  was the standout in dealing with the photos and autographs.

Reply #107
Seems my bandwagon is getting more and more passengers by the day. Terry being the latest addition.

Perhaps i could proclaim "you heard it here first!"

Hitching your wagon to Terry Wallets may not necessarily be a good move Kruddler  :)

With a couple of exceptions, our defenders are a versatile bunch and most could play up the ground or as forwards if required.  Similarly, most of our midfielders and forwards could hold down a defensive role.  I’m also reminded of the old adage, “A good big man will always beat a good small man.”

I have a feeling that our coaching staff know more about our list and how to select a balanced team than most commentators.  Time will tell ...
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #108
Hitching your wagon to Terry Wallets may not necessarily be a good move Kruddler  :)

With a couple of exceptions, our defenders are a versatile bunch and most could play up the ground or as forwards if required.  Similarly, most of our midfielders and forwards could hold down a defensive role.  I’m also reminded of the old adage, “A good big man will always beat a good small man.”

I have a feeling that our coaching staff know more about our list and how to select a balanced team than most commentators.  Time will tell ...

A broken click is still right twice a day.... Terry is due. ????

In regards to team balance.... Do you think our coaching staff got it right last week? This week?

I agree about our flexibility and versatility of our defenders, one exception though is weitering...his forward work has been patchy at best at senior level.

Reply #109
It's amazing how the "real meaning" in some forum postings seem to swing with the wind, like a weathervane!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #111
Kreuzer out Polson in

Not surprised, the media backstage rumor mill had SpecialK out as most likely scenario all of last week, they never waivered. The next question is, for how long?

I suspect well see one of Cripps, O'Shea or Marchbank spending some significant time in F50, neither marchbank or O'Shea is big enough to stand Day or Lynch, and the rest of the GC forward pack are sub 190cm. O'Shea might be that tall running wingman some are looking for, as long as he doesn't drag opposition into the path of Simpson, Byrne or Marchbank coming off the HBF.

Having Cripps play forward might seem like robbing Peter to pay Paul, but I think it's a good idea. Cripps cannot play a full season of midfield games at the sort of physical intensity he did last week, he'll break down. Having the odd game in which he spends more time forward might be the way to manage him through the season, and he'll be fresh at the F50 stoppages which will create some real issues for the opposition.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #112
With Kreuzer out that tells me Casboult and Jones are sharing ruck duties. Jones was a star on the ball in the VFL last year.

Reply #113
With Kreuzer out that tells me Casboult and Jones are sharing ruck duties. Jones was a star on the ball in the VFL last year.

GC have two 200cm KPFs, BB said Jones would be going to Lynch, lets see what happens.

I hope they don't hang Charlie out to dry, May has the ability to monster even seasoned AFL KPFs.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #114
Kreuzer out Polson in

We'll certainly be shorter now, possibly in more ways than one  ;)
Maybe we're looking to get an edge playing to Witts taps.
Very interested to see this game from the match up viewpoint.

Go Blues
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #115
Well we know one thing, this SpecialK out was always part of the plan, because McKay was named emergency and played in the VFL practice match.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #116
GC have two 200cm KPFs, BB said Jones would be going to Lynch, lets see what happens.

I hope they don't hang Charlie out to dry, May has the ability to monster even seasoned AFL KPFs.

BB say that before or after Kreuzer was out? We're not going to get a choice as Levi can't go all day and someone has to be forward.

Reply #117
BB say that before or after Kreuzer was out?

He said it yesterday, and he said McKay was a chance as the replacement.

But Kreuzer must have always been out, they played McKay at Craigieburn and announce Kreuzer's withdrawal today with Polson as a replacement. That tells me the club knew Keruzer was never a genuine chance and that they have planned this all week. Otherwise they would have had McKay on hand in case Krezuer was a late withdrawal.

It also means Casboult's had the whole week to set himself, let's see how he goes because based on last week Witts is a genuine challenge!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #118

Who are these 200cm giants?

Witts 209cm
2m Peter - not playing
Lynch 199cm (Jones' the man)
Day 197cm (good test for weiters)
May 193cm

May will struggle to keep up with Charlie for a quarter, let alone stop him in the air. He has height, speed and athleticism on May, by a mile!!

Tall defenders to combat Levi/Weitering? Other than May? Thompson who's a handy player when fit.

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #119
Who are these 200cm giants?

Witts 209cm
2m Peter - not playing
Lynch 199cm (Jones' the man)
Day 197cm (good test for weiters)
May 193cm

May will struggle to keep up with Charlie for a quarter, let alone stop him in the air. He has height, speed and athleticism on May, by a mile!!

Tall defenders to combat Levi/Weitering? Other than May? Thompson who's a handy player when fit.

Lynch and Day are both 200cm, websites list them below 200cm, but they are clearly both taller than Kreuzer and our website lists Kreuzer at 200cm up from 199cm! Lynch was listed at 199cm when drafted, and according to the GC website he hasn't grown, very unlikely and he's always been taller than Kreuzer! ;D

Anyway, regardless of the figures being a centimetre here or there, it is irrelevant because they are rarely correct after the players draft year. It's the game style of those 200cm KPP types that determine who you have to play on them. I think we have five players in the club of the right type to stand Lynch or Day, and they are Rowe, Weitering, Jones, ACoS and Macreadie out of which only two are available.

Levi will be in the ruck, and even when he's forward you don't need a tall defender to cover him, you just need someone who is physical and disrupts his run and jump.

May may struggle to run with Charlie's intensity, but if we do our usual tricks and put the ball on Charlie's head May will rag doll him. I think May is probably the 2nd best genuine one on one KPD in the competition next to McGovern, in my opinion they are both better than Rance!
The Force Awakens!