Skip to main content
Topic: Give Harry a go (Read 49434 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Give Harry a go

Reply #135
Not entirely true. Weitering impersonated a witches hat for large periods of the game up forward too.

Who did he learn that off?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #136
Could someone please explain to me all the comments about "Harry's not ready", "... needs more time", etc.

Is he injured? Is he immature for his age? Needs more time for what? We drafted him at pick 10. When I open my 2016 Carlton Season Guide there's a 2 page spread with McKay one one side and Weitering on the other. Why was Weits deemed ready for R1 yet a full 2 years later we're still waiting for Harry? He's taller and heavier than Weitering.

Most would agree you can throw a blanket over the first 10 picks in a draft - maybe even the first 20 - and be assured of getting quality.

Knowing Carlton and our recent history of stellar recruiting and player development  ::), what's the bet we made the wrong call and should have played Harry while holding Weits back.

EDIT: Probably just exposed my own ignorance after realising we're talking about a future ruckman.  Still, if he's fit, he should have played on Saturday. I thought he showed enough in the 2 games he played towards then end of last year, but I guess that's what this thread is all about.

Its ok.

The question is valid, but somehow I think the answer is in Weitering's formline.  He has shown a little bit, and been worked out, but isn't physically mature enough to endure it long term and it is now stalling his progress and making it longer.

Its one thing to fast track development, its another to play kids before they are ready to compete.

Have a look at Polson.  Miles off the pace, and hes a small who should be on pace.  He has played two uninspiring AFL games. 

Charlie Curnow was the one who was a super athlete, who has come on the best of that draft crop, but he was rumoured to be better able to compete from day one, and has really gone from strength to strength.  Aside from his early set back with glandular fever, he has also had a fairly injury free run at it unlike both Weitering and Mckay.

Its hard to say.

Realistically, only these boys can tell you how they feel.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #137
Its ok.

The question is valid, but somehow I think the answer is in Weitering's formline.  He has shown a little bit, and been worked out, but isn't physically mature enough to endure it long term and it is now stalling his progress and making it longer.

Its one thing to fast track development, its another to play kids before they are ready to compete.

Have a look at Polson.  Miles off the pace, and hes a small who should be on pace.  He has played two uninspiring AFL games. 

Charlie Curnow was the one who was a super athlete, who has come on the best of that draft crop, but he was rumoured to be better able to compete from day one, and has really gone from strength to strength.  Aside from his early set back with glandular fever, he has also had a fairly injury free run at it unlike both Weitering and Mckay.

Its hard to say.

Realistically, only these boys can tell you how they feel.

The heat is only just arriving for Charlie, Weitering led the AFL intercept marking in his first season, he's shown a little more than a little bit which is why opponents have put so much focus into him.

I doubt Weitering's problem is primarily himself, it's the lack of players around him sharing the load.

Even Charlie's goal haul the other week was primarily a two quarter effort, he's still some way away from playing four quarters of football as a KPP.

A big concern for me is Charlie is about to face this with no support around him, and it won't come from Casboult.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #138
I still think all these taller guys have heaps of time. I always think back to the Josh Kennedy example. We were all saying the same things about him as we were about Harry.

It took Kennedy 4 or 5 years to come good. It's probably unfair to compare guys to Charlie who is tracking ahead of time. It's inevitable though when they were in the same draft.

Fingers crossed they give Harry a prolonged crack at it at some point this year. I also think we should bring Jack straight back in.

Reply #139
As much as I'd hate to see another bloke played out of position, Wayne Carey might be correct.

An F50 of Cripps combined with perhaps Charlie, McKay, Silvagni, Wright and Garlett might be our best option.

Cripps will certainly set the tone and lead the way, even though he is only a kid himself!

If Kennedy is available, does this become an option?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #140
As much as I'd hate to see another bloke played out of position, Wayne Carey might be correct.

An F50 of Cripps combined with perhaps Charlie, McKay, Silvagni, Wright and Garlett might be our best option.

Cripps will certainly set the tone and lead the way, even though he is only a kid himself!

If Kennedy is available, does this become an option?

Agree with most of that... Casboult would be the obvious addition.

The weekend proved for me that the small man forward line that Richmond play is bloody tough to pull off. They might be good on spite of this - not because of it.

Reply #141
Agree with most of that... Casboult would be the obvious addition.

The weekend proved for me that the small man forward line that Richmond play is bloody tough to pull off. They might be good on spite of this - not because of it.

Most are thinking that in hindsight Nthmond were just lucky, even many Nthmond fans do not deny it but of course they do not have to because they have the cup! Well at least they had it before their AFLW CEO let Dasha Gavrilova turn it into a Kitty Litter Tray!

They are the AFL equivalent of "Mr Burn's and the Bowling Trophy" claimed the trophy then threw it on the scrap heap with the rest of the collected junk!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #142
I doubt Weitering's problem is primarily himself, it's the lack of players around him sharing the load.

Don't buy that. 5 to 1 it's something in his personal life....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #143
Don't buy that. 5 to 1 it's something in his personal life....
Could be, hard to tell though. He demeanour points to something troubling him but then again, I think back to early interviews of him and he came across as overly mature and reserved even at 8 years of age. He's not your average bear thats for sure. I hope he turns it around fast.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #144
Could be, hard to tell though. He demeanour points to something troubling him but then again, I think back to early interviews of him and he came across as overly mature and reserved even at 8 years of age. He's not your average bear thats for sure. I hope he turns it around fast.

Said it before, dont think he likes the heavy hits at senior level and dare I say it prefers bruise free footy....

Reply #145
Said it before, dont think he likes the heavy hits at senior level and dare I say it prefers bruise free footy....

I don't think he needed to worry about the physical stuff before as he is a big boy and probably did not get a lot of it directed at him at more junior levels. He looks rattled now for sure and he has the challenge of getting used to it and dishing some out. If the opposition smell weakness/fear or poor body language they'll go after him. I saw a program on tv once talking about people who are mugged or attacked in the street and their body language apparently plays an important part in the attackers' choice of victim, since they give off an impression of weakness even by the way they might walk down the street. Weiters just screams being a bit timid/tentative. Hopefully he will get over it asap - shouldn't say this but he just needs to grab hold of someone and really go for 'em! He'll feel a lot better I guarantee.  :)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #146
I don't think he needed to worry about the physical stuff before as he is a big boy and probably did not get a lot of it directed at him at more junior levels. He looks rattled now for sure and he has the challenge of getting used to it and dishing some out. If the opposition smell weakness/fear or poor body language they'll go after him. I saw a program on tv once talking about people who are mugged or attacked in the street and their body language apparently plays an important part in the attackers' choice of victim, since they give off an impression of weakness even by the way they might walk down the street. Weiters just screams being a bit timid/tentative. Hopefully he will get over it asap - shouldn't say this but he just needs to grab hold of someone and really go for 'em! He'll feel a lot better I guarantee.  :)
BANG ! Dont get angry, get on the front foot and get even.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #148

x3....Harry has more about him physically than JW and IMO Harry should have played/been played a lot more games.....

Some want Tom Lynch from GC at megabucks, we might have our own TL but dont even know it..Lynch played 30 games across his first two seasons.....no hiding him in the QAFL etc etc....
Not sure what is happening with JW, he might appreciate Harry and Kerr in the senior team to help look after him, Sidebum gave JW a real mouthful after he was outmarked by Reid, I would have grabbed him and let him know that wont be happening again but JW just put his head down and took it ..its not on, when you are 6' 5" little blokes dont talk to you like that, you need to assert yourself and stand your ground....
Sidebottom sling tackles Fisher and senior players just let that go too...thats not on either, report or no report you set standards of behaviour that other teams need to respect.
Harry should be in the team and encouraged to be physical and look after his small team mates....

Reply #149
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-04-13/blues-in-a-hurry-to-unleash-mckay-bolton

"We don't just throw them in there randomly and say, 'We're just going to do it all of a sudden' - it's just not going to happen that way," he said.

"There's a plan behind it. It's an educated decision and an informed decision."

Well whatever this master plan is, it better start making sense.

Harry is not going to get form playing in 130 point losses in the VFL.

Yes, he hasn't had a pre-season....but he would be playing in our forward-line, so its not like he will need to be an elite runner to play in it. Hell, he wouldn't have to do much to improve on the efforts of Weitering playing a similar role at times this year.

Just play him. If he flops, at least you've got the public off your back in regards to playing him. If he doesn't flop, great success!