Skip to main content
Topic: Give Harry a go (Read 49419 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Give Harry a go

Reply #150
"But for the (two-and-a-bit) years he's been here to date, Harry's unfortunately had body issues; he hasn't completed a full pre-season, he hasn't had any continuity of games and he's playing one of the most difficult positions.
"So, we're trying now to build consistency, so that when he does come in the AFL, he's not in and out, he can get in there and stay there – again, all part of the plan.
"It's no more complex than that. But is the will and want to have him there? Yeah, of course it is. It's just getting the timing right."

Maybe we are learning what not to do with Weitering (who is working his dot off on field, despite being a bit ineffective).

I think our impatience of waiting for Mckay is a symptom of bigger impatience in getting our kids up to speed.

In reality that all of them are fairly uncompetitive for patches and that applies to the smalls as well as the talls. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #151
In light of the recent media attention, reactivating this chat. Happened on the chance to speak with an assistant coach at the club recently and he played a very straight bat. Said Harry still has a bit to learn yet.

Forwards rely on good delivery. No he's not going to get that from our current senior side, but it isn't going to be any better in the magoos. Been hearing a compromised pre season as an excuse. He's had the the season to get some sort of fitness. Is that the problem? Do not start me on needing to improve his work rate. That could be leveled at most of our senior side right now.

I'm thinking there must be more to this than what we are hearing. If there are other problems (and I am not looking to find out what they are), then move him on.

Reply #152
Reading this thread makes me white hot with rage for what we’ve done to Weitering.

Was still 18 at the end of his first season. Wasn’t a stand out in a draft which was perceived as a little weak. We just threw him to the wolves  >:(

Such a dumb club. Guess who spent a year in the reserves before becoming a Flying Doormat?
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #153
Amazing what media and public pressure can do! Wonder if H would have gotten a gig this week without it? He's still terribly underdone so expectations should be modest.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #154
Maybe we are learning what not to do with Weitering (who is working his dot off on field, despite being a bit ineffective).

I think our impatience of waiting for Mckay is a symptom of bigger impatience in getting our kids up to speed.

In reality that all of them are fairly uncompetitive for patches and that applies to the smalls as well as the talls.

I think, to a certain extent, that Weitering is/was his own worst enemy. He came across as an 18 year old with a 45 year old maturity... and we all bought it. Bottom line is that he is a mature speaking kid with a big strong, slow body who still needs time to develop.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #155
I think, to a certain extent, that Weitering is/was his own worst enemy. He came across as an 18 year old with a 45 year old maturity... and we all bought it. Bottom line is that he is a mature speaking kid with a big strong, slow body who still needs time to develop.

Contrast that with Matt Watson.   He could kick it further but he had no idea.

We are just far too impatient.   Weitering at least reads the play and can uses it well enough.  I think his body has been letting him down a bit too.

Paul Hewson

Reply #156
Contrast that with Matt Watson.   He could kick it further but he had no idea.

We are just far too impatient.   Weitering at least reads the play and can uses it well enough.  I think his body has been letting him down a bit too.

His disposal of late has been average and he has an aversion to contact........maybe he is sore in those taped shoulders but I'd argue then the club should
not be playing him and fix those physical issues.....

Reply #157
I wonder if Weitering would be getting a game most of the season if we had most of a full back line to pick from? Might have ( hopefully) driven the hunger to succeed more .Not saying he has ben granted games , but him along with others have benefitted from the injury count

Reply #158
His disposal of late has been average and he has an aversion to contact........maybe he is sore in those taped shoulders but I'd argue then the club should

He never seemed to get over that injury he got against the Bummers EB. He really did look like the goods before that but it has seemingly sapped all his confidence and a lot of his composure.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #159
He never seemed to get over that injury he got against the Bummers EB. He really did look like the goods before that but it has seemingly sapped all his confidence and a lot of his composure.

In fairness to Weitering, before he got injured last weekend he was far from our worst and tracking pretty well up until 1/2-time. He and Jones were made to look silly on the TV at times, but that wasn't their fault as our defensive run from Forwards and Mids was borderline abominable! With the modern game's quick handballs, throws some might say, no defender can deal with 2 or 3 opponents.

I don't know what the AFL can do about these throws, but I feel as clubs push the rules further and further congestion gets worse! They basically want the opposition sucked in some they can create a clear space around the stoppage and then the get first hands on the ball and throw it away!

Also, for those of you listening to the radio, a couple of the turnovers attributed to Weitering during the call on the ABC Grandstand were actually Liam Jones. Something you only pick up on when you watch one and listen to the other. I recommend doing that when you get the opportunity, it makes you realise that you have to cross check everything the radio callers say before you make a judgment on a player! The callers rarely voluntarily correct each other, they rely in the fact most listeners are not watching, it's not like the old days when a radio callers accuracy was a valuable skill! Williamson would be despair, Beitzel and racings Bill Collins would turn in their grave, listening to some of the modern spuds!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #160
You could say that about half the blokes that play for us most weeks which is more of a guide as to why we are doing so poorly.

Paul Hewson

Reply #161
You could say that about half the blokes that play for us most weeks which is more of a guide as to why we are doing so poorly.

There is a definition of optimism, glass half full!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #162

You are right Cookie, ever since he took that hit he hasnt been right and he reminds me of Geoff Southby after Neil Balme collected him...he just wasnt the same or as good and it finished his career.
I hope that isnt the case with Weitering but he is a player who must be a major worry for the club given his No 1 pick status and the expectation of growth in his game that just hasnt happened..
His kicking was a feature of his game in his first year, long 50m kicks to position but you wouldnt back him over 30m to the target these days....looks worried and unhappy on the field and almost at times like he wants
to avoid being involved in play for fear of messing up.

Reply #163
You are right Cookie, ever since he took that hit he hasnt been right and he reminds me of Geoff Southby after Neil Balme collected him...he just wasnt the same or as good and it finished his career.

He did manage to play for another 10 years ......
Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.