Re: 2019 AFL Fixture

Reply #45
No they don't...especially home games.

Of the top 20 crowd numbers last year we had 2

Essendon had 5
Richmond had 10
Collingwood had 7
Hawthorn had 5

How many of the 'top 20' crowds were at a ground outside the MCG? 3. They were all in Perth with 2 WA derbys and last years grand finalists against this years grand finalists.

Given we play only half our games at the MCG, and given we play well over half our away games elsewhere, it puts us behind the 8-ball to begin with.

Both Tigers and Pies were flying last year and play the majority of their games at the G.

Bombers are a bit like us, but they still get 'Dream time' and 'ANZAC day' so thats a given 2 every year.

Just on the Hawks, they only averaged less than 2000 people more than we did on average for the year in Home and Away. They made top 4.

Reply #46
No you can't
The first game of the year is a clean slate.
Not many Carlton supporters would have attended anticipating a 2 and 20 season.
Most would have thought we were a chance of knocking them off....even more at quarter time

There were 70,000 Richmond fans there.

We kicked the first 5 goals and I was the only fan in my bay standing up.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #47
There were 70,000 Richmond fans there.

We kicked the first 5 goals and I was the only fan in my bay standing up.

You're making my point for me ;)

We still have residual support but it's waning.
What would our crowd have been if we'd played Richmond in round 16...and how many would have been Carlton folk.
It will flow back.... but the key as flyboy said in another thread is to "win games"
At the moment we won't get,nor do we deserve, prime time games

Reply #48
You're making my point for me ;)

We still have residual support but it's waning.
What would our crowd have been if we'd played Richmond in round 16...and how many would have been Carlton folk.
It will flow back.... but the key as flyboy said in another thread is to "win games"
At the moment we won't get,nor do we deserve, prime time games

And that is where we found out the worth/ability of the senior Coach.

Our "kids' are past the point of saying they're young....

Several need to really step up. And I reckon will.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #49
Just on the Hawks, they only averaged less than 2000 people more than we did on average for the year in Home and Away. They made top 4.

As much as I hate Kennett, I have to admire his stance, he not pulling any punches and has unloaded on the AFL regarding the biased draw and the disrespect he perceives from a Dawks perspective. If we had a tenth his attitude we'd be walking beside our opponents instead of being walked on!

So I'd like nothing better than to see the Dawks turn the CheatsFC into a bruised puddle!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #50
Four interstate games in the first 9 rounds isnt exactly what we needed.......hate playing in Tassie too.....very hard to beat the home teams down there....

Reply #51
As much as I hate Kennett, I have to admire his stance, he not pulling any punches and has unloaded on the AFL regarding the biased draw and the disrespect he perceives from a Dawks perspective. If we had a tenth his attitude we'd be walking beside our opponents instead of being walked on!

So I'd like nothing better than to see the Dawks turn the CheatsFC into a bruised puddle!

But does it achieve anything?  I don't think so.

Much of Kennett's posturing is simply self-promotion.  He knows that the AFL doesn't give a toss about his whinging and the AFL knows that he knows.  The fuss will die down and his club will just get on with business.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #52
But does it achieve anything?  I don't think so.

Much of Kennett's posturing is simply self-promotion.  He knows that the AFL doesn't give a toss about his whinging and the AFL knows that he knows.  The fuss will die down and his club will just get on with business.

That seems more like a wish DJC, than any reality.

We might not know Kennett's ultimate reasons but everything he says has a purpose and despite hating him it's naive to think it's all about self-promotion. The same applys to Eddie Everywhere McGuire,

If you want to ID some worthless self-promoters they are usually fairly obvious and transparent from their leech like lifestyle, Flubbo, Caro, Hunchy, Darcy, BT and Barrett and now Whateley has joined the club.

btw., The Dawks will be starting on their boutique DIngley stadium built on top of the new underground train line soon, and we'll still be installing showers for AFLW headquarters, which will probably move to the Dawks new boutique stadium once it's finished anyway! You don't think they'll actually pay for all that do you?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #53

We might not know Kennett's ultimate reasons but everything he says has a purpose and despite hating him it's naive to think it's all about self-promotion. The same applys to Eddie Everywhere McGuire,

If you want to ID some worthless self-promoters they are usually fairly obvious and transparent from their leech like lifestyle, Flubbo, Caro, Hunchy, Darcy, BT and Barrett and now Whateley has joined the club.

btw., The Dawks will be starting on their boutique DIngley stadium built on top of the new underground train line soon, and we'll still be installing showers for AFLW headquarters, which will probably move to the Dawks new boutique stadium once it's finished anyway! You don't think they'll actually pay for all that do you?

So what do you make of his famous “I’ll just sit here and drink my tea” statement?

Richard Garvey, Stuart Fox and particularly Geoff Harris deserve the credit for the Kennedy Centre.  I guess it shows the benefits of sustained on field success.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #54

If Kennett's relentless posturing was working then he'd have nothing to complain about this time as all his wishes would have been met.

Often the Dawks go about their business in spite of Kennett.

Plus he's good for media ratings as they know he'll give them a worthless/shallow headline with one of his blusterings. Sorry, but I think DJC is right... the AFL just see Kennett as an irritating yawn. Much like the rest of us.

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #55
So what do you make of his famous “I’ll just sit here and drink my tea” statement?

Richard Garvey, Stuart Fox and particularly Geoff Harris deserve the credit for the Kennedy Centre.  I guess it shows the benefits of sustained on field success.

Is that a confusion of not wanting to interfere in internal planning with not implementing them more widely?

I would assume the plans are "Kennett's plans", he's smart enough to know that in the back-room he isn't the smartest bloke in the place. But that doesn't mean he won;t do everything he can within his network of connections to make the plans of his associates happen! I'd argue having a Kennett or McGuire type on hand improves the boards chance of getting a things actioned, just as having Dick Pratt on-board helped Carlton!

Love him or hate him, he makes things happen, he's not just an ideas man!

Sorry, but I think DJC is right... the AFL just see Kennett as an irritating yawn. Much like the rest of us.

Yet the AFL officially appoints a person like Sheedy as a spokesperson!

The might be hypocrits but they are not idiots, they know how opinions are formed and how much subjectivity comes into play in the decision making process.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #56
There are two good things at work with the fixture:

- upgrade to an 11 home game membership
 - only 2 home games that we can't go to due to the time of the game - v Richmond round 1 and Bulldogs night game.

the last couple of years, our choices have been much more limited - the 1 and 2pm start times are great for us...

Reply #58
We get what we deserve, as do the other clubs that delivered tripe by towing the AFL line about this rubbish draw from a CheatSFC dominated AFL Executive.

Dishearteningly, Kennett is the only one to come out of last weeks announcements with any credibility. Obviously for now the AFL doesn't have the Dawks by the short and curlies, but he wants to be careful!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #59
We get what we deserve, as do the other clubs that delivered tripe by towing the AFL line about this rubbish draw from a CheatSFC dominated AFL Executive.

Dishearteningly, Kennett is the only one to come out of last weeks announcements with any credibility. Obviously for now the AFL doesn't have the Dawks by the short and curlies, but he wants to be careful!

Isn't the bottom line thought that your ability to hit back without repercussion is very much dependent on your position both off-field and on-field.
If you're strong in both areas it gives you a fair bit of leverage.
Weak in both areas and they'll walk all over you!