Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 4 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Gold Coast (Read 6133 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 4 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Gold Coast

Reply #30
Problem is he'll miss and it will go to a Suns player....lol.
Beat me to it.

Hopefully he is aiming for GC players, then we'll be ok ;)

Reply #31
Meat was a reasonable field kick, better than his goal kicking.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #32
Thats like saying Simpson was a reasonable kick on his left compared to his right.

Reply #33

Yes, when he played as a key defender, my heart was in my mouth every time he tried pinpoint kicks to a teammate, but he rarely missed the target.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #34
Yes, when he played as a key defender, my heart was in my mouth every time he tried pinpoint kicks to a teammate, but he rarely missed the target.
Yep, one of the real anomalies of football, you can have guys who can hit a target on the run at 50m yet are unable to get it between the posts(the wide ones) on a set shot! :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #35
Yep, one of the real anomalies of football, you can have guys who can hit a target on the run at 50m yet are unable to get it between the posts(the wide ones) on a set shot! :o

I have a theory on this.  Some people over think it.

Have you ever just reacted instinctively and surprised yourself? I have on the sports field a lot.  Hell, the more I listen to my instincts the better served I am.

The more I think about it, the more nervous, worked up, and then ultimately suffering is the only result.  I think this is what star wars talked about when discussing light and dark side.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #36

Have you ever just reacted instinctively and surprised yourself? I have on the sports field a lot.  Hell, the more I listen to my instincts the better served I am.

The more I think about it, the more nervous, worked up, and then ultimately suffering is the only result.  I think this is what star wars talked about when discussing light and dark side.
This is very true, I've had some high level success in different sports, and the best advice I ever got and that I could ever pass on is to always deliver it cold. Act like you've been there before, seen it before, and that you belong there. It's amazing how that mindset can calm you into a high level of performance.

I've also heard this is one of the biggest benefits of visualising the contest prior to the actual event, it tricks / makes you feel you are in a familiar environment.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #37
Maybe when he was in the clear but with a two handed drop its impossible to be accurate if you have to kick quickly or on the wrong foot. Stewart Loewe was a wonderful mark like Levi but also a shocking kick initially, later in his career he became a very reliable kick so it is possible all be it rare for a player to improve in this area.
I think we should belt GC by 50 points minimum, Levi will probably kick a few goals(2-3) given he is their only target and good luck to him....

Reply #38
Stewart Loewe was a wonderful mark like Levi but also a shocking kick initially, later in his career he became a very reliable kick so it is possible all be it rare for a player to improve in this area.
So far so good for Cripps in 2022.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #39
Maybe when he was in the clear but with a two handed drop its impossible to be accurate if you have to kick quickly or on the wrong foot. Stewart Loewe was a wonderful mark like Levi but also a shocking kick initially, later in his career he became a very reliable kick so it is possible all be it rare for a player to improve in this area.
I think we should belt GC by 50 points minimum, Levi will probably kick a few goals(2-3) given he is their only target and good luck to him....
Chol did kick 3 goals last week.  Do not underestimate.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #40

This is very true, I've had some high level success in different sports, and the best advice I ever got and that I could ever pass on is to always deliver it cold. Act like you've been there before, seen it before, and that you belong there. It's amazing how that mindset can calm you into a high level of performance.

I've also heard this is one of the biggest benefits of visualising the contest prior to the actual event, it tricks / makes you feel you are in a familiar environment.
I'll put it in a slightly different way. It's impossible for humans to think their way through complex movements. Otherwise, the brainiest people would be the best sportspeople. If we try to work through a list of 10 or so separate things when we kick, for instance, we'll lose any fluency. We'll be like a meccano man.

In order to master complex movements, we have to "download" the checklist of actions into muscle memory. Then we keep 1 thing in mind such as "make sure you drop the ball in line with your kicking foot rather than between your legs" and that can help to a degree.

So, practice (or perfect practice as Ron Barassi said) is the key to developing a natural and fluent action in kicking or any other skill you might want to master. 

Batsmen and tennis players often recover their natural motions by "opening their shoulders" and just letting loose.

Reply #41
Chol did kick 3 goals last week.  Do not underestimate.

In the last quarter when the game was done.

Reply #42
Gold Coast is clearly a danger game for us. They have a lot of high draft picks who are highly talented. We have had a history of not turning up against. Lost to North Melbourne Gold Coast and Collingwood last season, lost to Hawthorn and Adelaide the previous season and I think we have had a history of consistently losing to bottom four sides over the past few years. even when we are not a bottom four side. As I have said in the past, losers lose because they lose, winners win because they win. We were lucky to get away with a win last week against, not that I thought Hawthorn deserved to win, but because we stopped playing smart and started playing lazy and dumb. The ball bobbled out a couple of times to Hawthorn players in the final minute but Weitering was able to intervene and save us. Our midfield should overpower Gold Coast and our forwards should be able to kick enough goals to win. However, what we should do and what we actually do do has been a large gap recently.

Reply #43
Gold Coast is clearly a danger game for us. They have a lot of high draft picks who are highly talented. We have had a history of not turning up against. Lost to North Melbourne Gold Coast and Collingwood last season, lost to Hawthorn and Adelaide the previous season and I think we have had a history of consistently losing to bottom four sides over the past few years. even when we are not a bottom four side. As I have said in the past, losers lose because they lose, winners win because they win. We were lucky to get away with a win last week against, not that I thought Hawthorn deserved to win, but because we stopped playing smart and started playing lazy and dumb. The ball bobbled out a couple of times to Hawthorn players in the final minute but Weitering was able to intervene and save us. Our midfield should overpower Gold Coast and our forwards should be able to kick enough goals to win. However, what we should do and what we actually do do has been a large gap recently.
Agree that in the past we have benevolently ran teams and players into form. This is a test for for us and will show if we have indeed changed our spots under Voss. Providing we don't take them lightly, we should win comfortably.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #44
Agree that in the past we have benevolently ran teams and players into form. This is a test for for us and will show if we have indeed changed our spots under Voss. Providing we don't take them lightly, we should win comfortably.

Yes, despite only relatively few new faces on the ground, we have a very different team this season.  Clearly, there's still work to be done to iron out a few flaws in our play and we have a few blokes who could come into the team and strengthen it.  The fact that there's genuine competition for a spot in the 22 should mean 100% effort from everyone and, more importantly, there seems to be a real pride in wearing navy blue.  I don't think we'll give Gold Coast a sniff.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball