Skip to main content
Topic: The Silver Lining Thread (Read 15316 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The Silver Lining Thread

Reply #15
Actually, giving up a first pick for such an established young star is better than giving one up for an untried kid, remembering Shiel is young, not mid aged.

Depends if we get a first rounder for Gibbs, Henderson and Yarran.

We might have 4 of them!
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #16

We might have 4 of them!

Hopefully we can snare a player or two with Free Agency.

We should have about half of our cap to play with judging by the names that may be traded.

Add to that Walker, Warnock etc that should be booted.

Reply #17

We might have 4 of them!

Won't trade out all of those players.  Hendo is the only one I can see going .

Reply #18

Henderson would be the worst player to lose being KP player. Tough to develop through the draft and damn hard to trade for. He's a must keep.

Reply #19

I don't think anyone is safe.

I'd be surprised if SOS hasn't already started the process.

Normally I'd like to have the coach who's going to be overseeing the group in place, so there's is some tie in between the recruiting an the coaching philosophy but I don't care anymore.

I'm now of the opinion that the best recruiters do their own thinking, but some of the worst do as well.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #20
While discussing SOS pending activities in relation to the value of players at the trade table, a bloke at the local footy made an interesting point about how much football has changed in recent years.

Not sure if this is right or wrong, but he claimed he was shocked to find based on some old figures that Hendo is faster, taller, heavier with a better vertical leap than SOS!

Hard to imagine isn't it, I suppose we only evaluate players by those around them!

In that context how hard is it to find a replacement, and what figure should we put on potential trade value?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #21
The Northern Blues had a win on the weekend, and its good to see the Blues playing at PP again.

Our trading and drafting strategy over the last few years seems to be yielding better results for us (even if free agency isnt quite working for us).

Our bottom aged players all seem to look like they will make the grade.

At least the logo on our jumper makes us look like the Carlton of old if not the on field performances.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #22
The girlfriend of Shiel is Choco Williams daughter and of course Choco was at GWS....if Shiel leaves GWS my money is on the Tigers...

Would you wanna work under your soon to be Father in-law? I wouldn't. I don't think the Tigers have the trade bait or salary cap room to get the deal done either.

Things we have on our side are SOS, Shiel being a lifelong Carlton supporter, if Judd goes on for another year (wears #5 because of him), the ridiculous money we will throw at him, being closer to family and maybe even Jaksch and Whiley getting in his ear.

To fit him under cap we'll need to trade out Gibbs or Henderson and I'd rather do that than our first pick.

Reply #23
Would you wanna work under your soon to be Father in-law? I wouldn't. I don't think the Tigers have the trade bait or salary cap room to get the deal done either.

Things we have on our side are SOS, Shiel being a lifelong Carlton supporter, if Judd goes on for another year (wears #5 because of him), the ridiculous money we will throw at him, being closer to family and maybe even Jaksch and Whiley getting in his ear.

To fit him under cap we'll need to trade out Gibbs or Henderson and I'd rather do that than our first pick.

Tigers have the salary cap room and probably another 700k a year more after Rance retires to pursue his religious beliefs.....Tigers are pushing Rance hard to make up his mind and its because they want to chase Shiel with the extra dough....

Forgetting about Richmond..you  would also have to ask would Shiel want to come to a club that have little hope of playing decent finals in the next 5 years?....As Mick said we cant attract players, we already offered Jeremy Cameron 1.2mill a year and he said No and that was with the SOS factor...

Reply #24
Hopefully we can snare a player or two with Free Agency.

We should have about half of our cap to play with judging by the names that may be traded.

Add to that Walker, Warnock etc that should be booted.

We are not going to be looking at free agency this year. Those players are all in the older age bracket of which we are trying to sell off, not buy.

We need draft picks, and youngish kids already in the system.

We need to raid GWS's list and GC's. Plenty of talent there who probably deserve more coin than they are on.

Reply #25
Positives for this year.

Obviously, my boy Cripps. I've always had high hopes for him, but he has matched them and probably exceeded them so far.

Another one, Bell. I've never questioned his effort, just his fitness, skill and decision making. He's one of the few who has showed sustained effort this season. I think his fitness has improved dramatically and that has helped him with his decision making. Skill is always going to be a work in progress, but 4 goals the other week is something you can't knock.

White deserves a mention. He was probably in most peoples top 5 to be delisted at years end, but earned a lot of peoples respect after PS and especially R1 against the tiges. He moved into a lot of peoples best 22. Credit to him. I think we've missed him.

Something that those 3 all have in common, and maybe a few more who i could've put in as well, is that they all are team players who put in each and every week. TEAM players who display EFFORT.

If these 3 blokes can drag their teammates along with them, we might be able to get 22 players playing as a team!

Reply #26
The upside?  I think that we have seen something from the younger brigade that indicates that some will be decent AFL players, and some might become better than that.  I also believe that there are kids currently on the rookie list that could also become valuable contributors.  Gowers, Fields and Walsh look more like footballers than some of the speculative stuff of previous years.  Unfortunately these kids all need time, development and quality mentoring/role models, things I am unsure this club can provide.

Bell has continued to show that he has a little bit of that special something and at times makes things happen... some people call this "X" factor I guess.  It all seems to be about increasing the frequency of his impactful moments on games and reducing the times in which he goes missing or messes up terribly.

The team orientated focus of White has been positive - putting his head over the ball after receiving a spinal injury last year was very impressive IMO.  Being able to play many roles makes him a very valuable bench option in the 22.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #27
I may be more positive since i missed last Friday night's match and have no stomach to watch a reply.

Bell has been the most positive player for mine in that he has played all games and looks to have improved in his areas of previous weakness, namely skill and decision making. A big powerful player that can run all day and kick goals.

Cripps has shown more leadership in just a few matches than some of his more senior colleagues. He is a good decision maker already and has a very bright future.

Docherty has shown he is a developing and consistent defender who can make good decisions off half back.

Biggest positive for mine is the emerging realisation that the club as a whole has to pull its finger out. The understanding seems to be creeping in that it is not just 'getting the right people' but getting them to work together effectively.  Organisational dynamics are fickle and hard to identify. The club seems to be expressing this now, with its efforts to improve the conduct of its recruitment and development, and grow its support base.  Change is happening. We are hearing about alot of problems right now at the club. Good. It's the biggest and most important step to addressing them.

Reply #28
New recruiting staff. Not much else at this time.

Reply #29
Cripps who could be a superstar as long as he woks on his kicking.

Docherty who is easily in the starting 22 in our squad. Its a shame we didn't snag Polec too.

Bell who is growing into a more than decent mid. Just needs as many games as he is a confidence player.

White who is under-rated. A more than average player. Love his work rate.

Not much else from there, but it is only round 5. Maybe by round 12 we will see more to be positive about.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.