Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Philosphical Discussion: AFL 2020 Rd 18: Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 11044 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Philosphical Discussion: AFL 2020 Rd 18: Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #45
I agree with that, he was excellent yesterday. Perhaps as Kruddler pointed out the other week he wasn't getting the right match ups due to SPS and/or Simpson taking the non marking players.

I think Plowman suffers from the Bret Thornton problem.

Is a good player, who is asked to play on players he shouldn't have to most weeks because we have nobody else to do it.

I don't know how we can fit them all in, but i'd like to see Marchbank slotting back into the back 6 as he takes the players Plowman would struggle with, and has had to take in 2020.

Reply #46
I agree about Plowman; he has played well when not required to play on the third tall forward.  When he does, he panics and grabs to give away free kicks- also, he should never, ever be tasked with kicking in duties.
Plowman typifies our side, the huge gap between his best and worst must be closed if we are to progress.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #47
In an ideal world Marchbank and MacCreadie were supposed to be established members of our back six,  but they've played,  what 10 games, between them in the last three seasons? Chuck in Williamson and our defensive set up has spent the past 4 seasons on the hoist awaiting parts.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #48
Walsh knifing through the pack in the last two minutes from the ruck contest would have been GOTY contender if he'd nailed it.   Brilliant roving and anticipation. 

Reply #49
Walsh knifing through the pack in the last two minutes from the ruck contest would have been GOTY contender if he'd nailed it.   Brilliant roving and anticipation. 
Just needed to slam it in the boot quicker and it would have been spectacular.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #50
Disappointed to lose in the end, we found some spirit in th 3rd but too many turnovers and mistakes (and ump decisions!) to make up for. I  think we desperately need to find a way to grow our young talent which I think is to an extent, Walsh excepted, playing in Crippa's shadow. To me we seemed to grow as a unit after he went off. Btw, I'm not criticising him, but playing as injured as he obviously is says to the players that they are not good enough without him.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #51
There were a couple of times last night when Cripps and Walsh seemed to know exactly where the other was without even looking.
They're developing a terrific understanding.

Reply #52
There were a couple of times last night when Cripps and Walsh seemed to know exactly where the other was without even looking.
They're developing a terrific understanding.
The look away handpass chain was great footy for a goal. We really need to look after Cripps and get him some help so we can see more of that.

Reply #53
Still scratching my head... did Simmo really retire? Because the bloke I saw running around for us last night looked like he could go another coupla seasons, and was certainly better than a good few others. I wonder if a young side needing a leader down back to help out (Hodge to BrisVegas) might offer him a gig?

Eddie was better when moved into the action... blokes were getting cold up forward! Although we only got a glimpse, his skills in the wet were evident. But, sheesh, we'll need more from Edwardo next year. Perhaps when we sort out our forward line woes and delivery into said forward line, we'll see better from Edwardo and other small forwards.

Is it my imagination or has Gibbo gone off the boil in the past few games he played?

The Good: We won the first, third and final quarters on the scoreboard. In those three quarters I really liked what I saw - a dangerous side, with some ripper players and genuine grit in difficult conditions against a top 2 side in good form...

Walsh, Weitering, McKay, Plowman, Williamson, SPS, TDK, Kennedy, Crippa's courage, Curnow and Martin... and dare I say McGovern looked a far better prospect down back, than up forward.

Seeing the TT giving a well deserved spray at half time. Good to see him NOT being Mr Nice Guy. Good for him too, especially seeing the results. Though I really like his 'public' demeanor and his relaxed approach in that environment... good image for the club. But knowing that he can bring uncompromising heat when needed is very encouraging, and draws a line in the sand with the players. Creates boundaries and instills discipline and respect. Ripper stuff.

The Bad:
Two bad skill errors from Weitering and Newnes and the whole side goes to water... again. This is where we're brittle and soft between the lugholes. Those 5 unanswered goals from BrisVegas ruined any chance of victory for us - as it did so often throughout the season, 9 times apparently. Hopefully in the off season when blokes can all train together we can drill this situation until their ears bleed. Goal for 2021, no more allowing situations where we fold under heat... instead, replace it with US slamming on 5+ goals in rapid succession, out with the old, in with the new... replace the negative with a positive.

Casboult and Murphy are NOT in our best 22. The number of times Murphy took short steps when it was 'his turn' was embarrassing - waited for his opponent to make the play, so he'd then go the soft tackle - that's just fckd and sets a shyte example from a leader and can undermine character and ruthlessness in a side.

We all know that Casboult is nie on useless these days without rucking duties... so we park him up forward! And when the horse has bolted... we put him in the ruck. Should not have played. As others have noted, he's a gentle giant who cannot impose his considerable size on the game. One big too many in last night's side... which many here noted. Should play twos next year and be a back up ruckman only.

The Ugly:
Those two turnovers resulting in easy goals to BrisVegas. Watching Cuningham handball at the feet of team mates. Yes, he got plenty of tackles but again is just so conditional in what he goes for... how often was he flat footed with his head seemingly in the clouds. Does he do a reefer before a game?

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #54
The look away handpass chain was great footy for a goal. We really need to look after Cripps and get him some help so we can see more of that.

He was missing his running mate Setterfield last night.

I'd like to think that Kemp comes on and can spend some time running through the middle as well. Will ease the pressure on Cripps and give opposition mids nightmares.

Reply #55
Not sure Kemp is a true mid, more akin to a KP who runs on ball at times.

Reply #56
I remember when Murphy did his shoulder diving full pelt at the ball only to hit Hodge who was there earlier. You could see it was going to happen but he went anyway. Now he can't , mentally ,wrap his arms around an opponent. I don't know if he can physically.

He went too hard early in his career and is paying for it now. What a shame but you can't afford to have him out there, especially when we're in the finals next year.

Reply #57
I think Plowman suffers from the Bret Thornton problem.

Is a good player, who is asked to play on players he shouldn't have to most weeks because we have nobody else to do it.

I don't know how we can fit them all in, but i'd like to see Marchbank slotting back into the back 6 as he takes the players Plowman would struggle with, and has had to take in 2020.

Agreed Plowman plays on  both Talls and smalls  and is always getting one of the most difficult forwards every week, going to be an interesting trade/ draft period  for us  we really need to  bring in some pace and elite kicks, no more kids with questionable kicking skills if they can't kick it at an elite level we need to move on to the next guy who can.

Reply #58
We are, IMO, somewhere between 2/4 and 3/4 of the way to being a decent side. Whilst I accept the "quarters won" stat can give the impression of proximity, my concern is the optics and the reality of being "in games". There's many examples, but for the sake of brevity, look at last night's game. After 1/4 time, at what point did we look like winning it ? IMO, we never did. Getting close(ish) on the scoreboard is not quite the same thing as really being in the game. The difference might be subtle, but it's very real IMO.

Now, some random observations, opinions etc :
- Levi : after displaying some almost AA form earlier this season, he's gone backwards. Dropped marks he would clunk 9 times out of 10, gave up chases far too easily, and looked disinterested even after kicking his goal. Sad to see that great form slip away.
- Gibbons : is a real trier, form has been ok this year, had a slightly below average game last night.
- Ed Curnow : solid last night, one of his better season IMO.
- Newnes : ok
- Williamson : still coming to terms with AFL footy after a long lay off. Hopefully he can regain some of his pre injury form, because he looks far off that at the moment. Tries and showed some glimpses.
- Polson : last night wasn't the best night to try and save your career. Feel sorry for him to be honest.
- Cuningham : ok game
- Pittonet : good in the ruck and his work around the ground has improved over the season IMO. Good game, especially in those conditions.
- Weitering : solid and dependable - good season.
- Martin : a goer and a tough nut. Fought hard in the guts, and won his fair share of hard ball. Love him.
- Plowman : the good outweighs the bad, the problem is that his bad can be costly. i get the feeling he is the good boy scout of the team. I reckon he would be a favourite of the coach. Good game.
- Betts : after a fairytale start to the season, has gone off the boil big time. A mere shadow of his former self. Hopefully either regains form or spends most of next year off field.
- Walsh : good game and just a jet.
- Docherty and Jones : both ok.
- TDK : tough night for a young giant learning the caper.
- Mitch : I'll just leave him for now.
- McKay : his best is so so good. The gold standard for sticky hands IMO is Fevola, and McKay is very close. Good leading patterns, good hands, good shooting for goal. You can't ask for much more from a KPF. One of his top 3 games for the club.
- Cripps : injured and below his best.
- Kennedy : not a perfect game, but did enough good things to be a definite best 22 for mine.
- Simpson : nice to see him kick a goal. Shame we couldn't get a win for him, unlike his 250th (ahem  ;D ). It's good to go out on something of a high, unlike some players who outstay their welcome. The decision is absolutely the right one IMO. We need to cut the umbilical cord to the old blokes.
- Murphy and SPS : average, somewhat underwhelming games for both.

Reply #59
Not sure Kemp is a true mid, more akin to a KP who runs on ball at times.
Agree, at U18 level it was his brave marking that is/ was his calling card, he is a player you run through the middle every now and then but in the main you play him in a position.
Kemp will be bad news for McGovern as he plays that 3rd tall role and is a more talented player imo.