Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 15 2023 Carlton have the bye! (Read 3053 times) previous topic - next topic

AFL Rd 15 2023 Carlton have the bye!

Interesting to see what we do over the bye week. The bye has been lethal for some teams this year - coming back against a team who didn't have the bye has led to some embarrassing defeats. Should we be worried?
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: AFL Rd 15 2023 Carlton have the bye!

Reply #1
Interesting to see what we do over the bye week. The bye has been lethal for some teams this year - coming back against a team who didn't have the bye has led to some embarrassing defeats. Should we be worried?

I think we take the lesson from other sides.
We've had a good win but we have to approach the next match with a clear focus.
Sides often have a down game, so all the planning should be around making sure that doesn't happen and we build on today.

Reply #2
Danger game, we all know what happened all those years ago.

https://youtu.be/qXatqcigUFw
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #3
Not sure we can lose this one.

Reply #4

Oh, we can find a way ... but hopefully not.  We are better than this mob, but they are not as forlorn as they have been and beating Brisbane even down here is not a bad effort.

Reply #5
The rest can quickly take some of your momentum away. I hope they drill intensity and aggression during their training sessions to keep up a desperation for another victory. Not sure how our games have been after a bye. I think it hasn’t been great.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #6
The Bye in AFL has a great record - none of its opponents has ever come away with a win.

Different story in the NRL - every opponent gets 2 competition points without touching a ball!
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #7
extra training sessions

Reply #8
extra training sessions
Yep, if it me as the skipper in the predicament we are in, I would have addressed them after the GC game (or even before)  and said "I'm cancelling my mid season break to do some extra physio, recovery and training at the club, who's joining me?" That would sort out the committed from the non committed.
I suspect that just wouldnt happen these days.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #9
We've recently read about the extra work that Harry McKay does on his game, and I bet he's not the only one. Add to that the sh1storm that has engulfed the club recently, I would definitely give the boys some extra R+R. They need to freshen up, recuperate and recharge a little bit. 14 weeks continuous football is a hard slog. What I would get them to do is some extra sessions with the club psychologist, to ensure (as much as possible) that they don't come out half asleep for the Hawks game, and have to play catch up for the last 3q because they gave up a big lead.

Reply #10
We've recently read about the extra work that Harry McKay does on his game, and I bet he's not the only one. Add to that the sh1storm that has engulfed the club recently, I would definitely give the boys some extra R+R. They need to freshen up, recuperate and recharge a little bit. 14 weeks continuous football is a hard slog. What I would get them to do is some extra sessions with the club psychologist, to ensure (as much as possible) that they don't come out half asleep for the Hawks game, and have to play catch up for the last 3q because they gave up a big lead.

100% give them some time off.

Harry is supposedly the most committed bloke on our list in terms of preperation and focussing on football....and how has that been working for him?

Sometimes the best thing you can do is forget about football for a moment and that can end up being the best thing for them.

Reply #11
Plenty of time for R&R at the end of the year.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #12

Harry is supposedly the most committed bloke on our list in terms of preperation and focussing on football....and how has that been working for him?

Sometimes the best thing you can do is forget about football for a moment and that can end up being the best thing for them.

Something that dad hinted at in that article the other day.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #13

I've often looked at our team and wondered if they are a happy bunch.  They sometimes seem a bit over whelmed by it all.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #14
When you're set on a plan, you're doing a lot right and it's just not happening, it can be frustrating.
You're confident you're on the right track, so you just go that little bit harder, figuring that if you give that little bit of extra effort it will make the difference.
What you're actually doing in effect is 'trying too hard' and the mental impact of extra effort=poorer result doesn't really compute.
It can leave you angry, frustrated and unhappy.
I'm wondering whether we've been seeing a little of that in the first half of this year.

In my own experience of coaching and competing in track and field, the best performance sometimes comes when you're relaxed.
You'll see it in100 metre races where one sprinter looks loose and fluid in his running while the guy alongside him looks to be straining, tightening up giving what appears to be greater effort, but losing all form and going backwards.
I've sometimes had athletes coming off a week of sickness, no expectations, yet producing a personal best.

Give them a week off. ;)

Coming up after the bye is more a mental than a physical issue.