Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 17 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Fremantle (Read 3855 times) previous topic - next topic

AFL Rd 17 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Fremantle

This is the late game this round, Sunday at 16:40 in Perth.
We're not on the box, and probably still ruckless. Lightning rarely strikes twice, even with the effort from Silvagni and Young.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: AFL Rd 17 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Fremantle

Reply #1
We live and die on how jackson and Darcy play in this one.  If we lose weitering it gets harder.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #2
What a game this one is turning out to be.
If our midfield keep up their form and get back one ruck we will be a threat.

Reply #3
We live and die on how jackson and Darcy play in this one.  If we lose weitering it gets harder.

Very much doubt we'll lose Weiters... fine only... two open-handed forearms to the chest/shoulder of opponents. The second incident had plenty of mayo, BBQ sauce, sweat chili sauce and over-acting with throwing the head back (from the Dawks player).
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #4
Very much doubt we'll lose Weiters... fine only... two open-handed forearms to the chest/shoulder of opponents. The second incident had plenty of mayo, BBQ sauce, sweat chili sauce and over-acting with throwing the head back (from the Dawks player).

Surely its an 'innocent until proven guilty' with Weiters.
I am yet to see any other angle apart from a blurry one from over 100m away which doesn't show anything.

Reply #5
Walsh got decked after he disposed of the ball and was down for a while but have heard nothing of it.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #6
Surely its an 'innocent until proven guilty' with Weiters.
I am yet to see any other angle apart from a blurry one from over 100m away which doesn't show anything.

Doesn't that work against him to some extent though, because the umpire who was right there deemed it worthy of a report.
I have no faith in the system.

Reply #7
Doesn't that work against him to some extent though, because the umpire who was right there deemed it worthy of a report.
I have no faith in the system.
He said she said.

If the umpires word is all they've got to go on, i don't think thats enough.
What happens if they report him and then there is late evidence that showed there is nothing in it at all. AFL, and that umpire (our favourite - #22 Nathan Williamson?) become a laughing stock.

Reply #8
In the Hawks post match, Voss said both De Koning and Pittonet are a chance to be available for this game, but he seemed a little equivocal. One or preferably both will be essential IMO. Jack Silvagni was good this week, but I don't believe that level of output is sustainable. Freo are a little hit and miss, but certainly a step up from the Hawks. I'd expect the betting odds to be pretty close. A very 50/50 game for mine.

Reply #9
He said she said.

If the umpires word is all they've got to go on, i don't think thats enough.
What happens if they report him and then there is late evidence that showed there is nothing in it at all. AFL, and that umpire (our favourite - #22 Nathan Williamson?) become a laughing stock.

The whole MRO-Report system has become a bit of a joke.
Either throw it back to the umpire and get rid of the MRO...or umpires don't report and if there's no vision, no incident.

It really doesn't matter what we think.
If the best evidence at the time is that it was reportable incident in the umpire's eyes, and there is no clearer vision available what position does that put the AFL in.

Do they back the umpire's call, and suspend or fine, or do they say ..."oh well we really don't have a clearer picture of what happened so you're probably mistaken umpire."

Reply #10
The whole MRO-Report system has become a bit of a joke.
Either throw it back to the umpire and get rid of the MRO...or umpires don't report and if there's no vision, no incident.

It really doesn't matter what we think.
If the best evidence at the time is that it was reportable incident in the umpire's eyes, and there is no clearer vision available what position does that put the AFL in.

Do they back the umpire's call, and suspend or fine, or do they say ..."oh well we really don't have a clearer picture of what happened so you're probably mistaken umpire."

I think they give a fine (or even a suspended fine) and basically a smack on the wrist. Could fall under the 'unduly rough play' which is a catch all for things they don't like. Akin to 'bringing the game into disrepute', which is similar and catches non-football related issues as well.

Reply #11
Jack Silvagni was good this week, but I don't believe that level of output is sustainable. Freo are a little hit and miss, but certainly a step up from the Hawks.

Was getting great elevation in centre ruck contests - maybe the bye put some spring in his step.  IF he can keep doing that, he becomes a genuine option as a back-up ruck. 

An excellent game in other respects as well.

Reply #12
Was getting great elevation in centre ruck contests - maybe the bye put some spring in his step.  IF he can keep doing that, he becomes a genuine option as a back-up ruck. 

An excellent game in other respects as well.

Yes. The bye is recent enough for him to still be fresh. But Darcy and Jackson are a whole other level, and close to the best ruck combination going around, and if neither De Koning nor Pittonet play, Silvagni will be spent by half time IMO. Darcy in particular will crash and bash with glee.

Reply #13
In the Hawks post match, Voss said both De Koning and Pittonet are a chance to be available for this game, but he seemed a little equivocal. One or preferably both will be essential IMO. Jack Silvagni was good this week, but I don't believe that level of output is sustainable. Freo are a little hit and miss, but certainly a step up from the Hawks. I'd expect the betting odds to be pretty close. A very 50/50 game for mine.

Agree. This is a step up from the last 2 soft wins and will tell us a lot more about where we are at.

Hope we don’t go back to defensive wide gameplan and we attack the game and have the courage to run the lines and move the ball quick. Do that and we should be ok.

Hope one of our rucks gets up as they are very strong in that area

Also it’s about this stage after we start thinking they are looking good that we hear a soft tissue injury to cunners or Martin.

Just saying.

Reply #14
The form of most players during the past two matches should justify a limited number of changes this week.

Other than Young, Ed Curnow and (maybe) Hewett, I doubt that any deserve to be omitted for sub-standard performances.