Skip to main content
Topic: VFL 2023 Rd 16 Carlton vs Coburg at Coburg (Read 1576 times) previous topic - next topic

VFL 2023 Rd 16 Carlton vs Coburg at Coburg

This Saturday at 13:05. I wonder if Coburg realize that in Brazilian slang a 'piranha' is a prostitute?
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: VFL 2023 Rd 16 Carlton vs Coburg at Coburg

Reply #1
They have published the line-ups finally but they don't make much sense:

FB
[14] Oliver Hollands,
[3] Jesse Motlop,
[4] Lochie O'Brien
HB
[16] Jack Carroll,
[20] Lachie Plowman,
[22] Caleb Marchbank
C
[36] Josh Honey,
[31] Harry Lemmey,
[32] Jaxon Binns
HF
[38] Sam Durdin,
[40] Hudson O'Keeffe,
[51] Heath Ramshaw
FF
[52] Liam McMahon,
[68] Mitch Moschetti,
[54] Ned Cahill
FOL
[57] Ben Crocker,
[60] Blake Kuipers

IC
[63] Luke Parks,
[67] Ben Ronke,
[72] Darcy Porter,
[74] Logan Prout,
[41] Domanic Akuei,
[00] Darcy Hogg

Opposition similarly out of kilter, no rover etc so there must be some glitch in the layout, not obvious to me what.

Reply #2
Following the score and looks like a trouncing and big win for Blues? Jack Carroll getting lots of it.

Reply #3
Symmetrical score at the moment 9-9 to 1-1 close to half time. ;D

Reply #4
We're doing very well considering the terrible conditions.  I can't recall seeing goalposts sway so much in the wind.

O'Keeffe has really developed a presence around the ground to go with his improving ruckwork.  Maybe our next ruckman is already on the list.  It will be interesting to see how he goes after another pre-season.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #5
FB
[14] Oliver Hollands,
[3] Jesse Motlop,
[4] Lochie O'Brien
HB
[16] Jack Carroll,
[20] Lachie Plowman,
[22] Caleb Marchbank
C
[36] Josh Honey,
[31] Harry Lemmey,
[32] Jaxon Binns
HF
[38] Sam Durdin,
[40] Hudson O'Keeffe,
[51] Heath Ramshaw
FF
[52] Liam McMahon,
[68] Mitch Moschetti,
[54] Ned Cahill
FOL
[57] Ben Crocker,
[60] Blake Kuipers

IC
[63] Luke Parks,
[67] Ben Ronke,
[72] Darcy Porter,
[74] Logan Prout,
[41] Domanic Akuei,
[00] Darcy Hogg

What amazes me is that they have named everyone who is playing! Can't remember the last time that happened.
Welcome to Darcy Hogg, son of Matthew, who is playing his 1st VFL game (I'm pretty sure).
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #6
We're doing very well considering the terrible conditions.  I can't recall seeing goalposts sway so much in the wind.

O'Keeffe has really developed a presence around the ground to go with his improving ruckwork.  Maybe our next ruckman is already on the list.  It will be interesting to see how he goes after another pre-season.
O'Keefe still has a fair way to go, but I do like his combativeness. He had a reputation at U18 level for staying in the play; now he's really showing it in the VFL.
11 taps and 4 clearances early in the 3rd quarter.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #7
O'Keefe still has a fair way to go, but I do like his combativeness. He had a reputation at U18 level for staying in the play; now he's really showing it in the VFL.
11 taps and 4 clearances early in the 3rd quarter.
Really like his game today but still very young and raw

Reply #8
Gone to sleep a bit in this last quarter.
Coburg have kicked 6 to 3...6 in a row.
Make it seven

Reply #9
All over, Blues win  by 52 points.
It could have been better.
Carroll and Binns 32 each
Motlop and Hollands 24 each.

Reply #10
Binns again showed he is a class above VFL.  O'Keeffe was very good but a ways to develop. likewise though less prominent Lemmey   Marchbank showed his class but needs more miles in the legs, Hollands good first run after injury.  Motlop and O'Brien just OK, Plowman showed this is his level, big Durds looked OK early but drifted out, however he is ready to step in if we need a tall defender.  Carroll and Honey both busy but don't see the step up to firsts level at least at this stage.

Of the non-AFL guys  Ronke should be on an AFL list - preferably ours.

Reply #11
I thought Motlop was very good today; plenty of clearances, nice marks inside 50, used the ball well - including a couple of goal assists -  and kicked a nice goal.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #12
I thought Motlop was very good today; plenty of clearances, nice marks inside 50, used the ball well - including a couple of goal assists -  and kicked a nice goal.
I thought he was good too.
He's still learning the trade.
I reckon he'll probably be our first small forward chosen next year and Durdin and Owies will struggle for games.
I don't think it's viable playing all three when one may provide all we need in that respect.
I'm also liking him spending a bit of mid-field time in the VFL.
No need to rush him back.
It might be better for his development to keep working at his craft in the lower competition with a couple of games in the seniors towards the end of the year.

Reply #13
I thought he was good too.
He's still learning the trade.
I reckon he'll probably be our first small forward chosen next year and Durdin and Owies will struggle for games.
I don't think it's viable playing all three when one may provide all we need in that respect.
I'm also liking him spending a bit of mid-field time in the VFL.
No need to rush him back.
It might be better for his development to keep working at his craft in the lower competition with a couple of games in the seniors towards the end of the year.

Learning the midfield caper in the VFL should be good for his development ... and good for our depth and adaptability next season.

Reply #14
We did what we had to and won by enough to improve our percentage, but the last quarter was a disappointment.

Darcy Hogg - 17 possessions in his first outing.

Even though Hollands tired after half time, I liked that he had 5 tackles and 5 clearances. The lad has a future.
Binns - very outside and had only 2 tackles and 2 clearances, but what he did do impressed. He has to get a game before the end of the year. Play him in the game against West Coast? Wouldn't hurt.

Heath Ramshaw - still has some rough edges, but he has filled the void left by Trudgeon this season. 25 possessions again.
Ben Ronke - I'd be inviting him to train on ASAP. He isn't going to be Eddie Betts, but he has more idea than most on how to play the position.

I am quite happy to see Motlop spending time in the middle. He got 25 possessions today. Having him having more flexibility will make him a lot harder to cover in the long run. However, he needs to work on his body strength, his endurance and his pace as he isn't as fast as he thinks he is. Clearly this is an attempt to improve his endurance.

Maybe Josh Honey has seen the light, although he's kept it very late in his potential career; 7 tackles and a LOT more pressure acts. God knows we've waited a long time for it to happen. But he still has to made more of his chances, even though he did slot 2. He really needs to work on his snap goals: I can barely remember seeing one.
Live Long and Prosper!