Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 17 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Fremantle (Read 3155 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 17 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Fremantle

Reply #60
Late to the party and didn't see the game.

I was invited to a grass roots country football game. My recently deceased dad was a life member who'd filled every position from president to line marker, to water boy. He also played 400+ league games and coached juniors through to the league, winning multiple premierships.

To our surprise the club dedicated todays game to him. It will be an annual tribute match. All very moving for the family. He was such a humble man, we had no idea of the extent to which, he improved the on field performance and lives of so many people.

Arriving home to a big W v Dockers felt like a wonderful end to the weekend. The comments I've read so far are very encouraging, even heart-warming!
I can't wait to watch the replay.

Go Blues.

Sorry for your loss LN. Your dad sounds like he was quite a character and a true legend of the game!
Enjoy our win mate!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #61
This resonates with me.
Recall much of Vossy's commentary over his tenure being about layering.
That process lends itself to creating a strong suitable foundation. From there you integrate the best the progression brings, and intervene to trim or train the rest. All the while there are many moving parts. Some are static. Some variable. Some controllable, others not so.

I know I repeat this, but consistency is crucial. Any chance we had 22 was eroded by injury when the foundations were still wet. This year may show the aspects of the various layers requiring attention. Therefore adjusting and stabilising takes time. It also causes confusion, breading anxiety for the individual.

Thinking systems, I'm hopeful we've endured the bulk of the instabilities. I'm hopeful our greatest challenge now is to maintain, sustain, and find methods to add those final touches consistently. Then we earn the right to enter the F equation.

Go Blues
If you think about all of his pressers, whilst it sounded repetitive, he was bang on and it all makes sense now. He said things like:
- Go to work on our errors
- Providing the players with a clear picture of what we want to play and look like
He repeated the above over and over and this week, he said that the players now have a clear picture of what it all looks like.
So hopefully, fingers crossed, we have turned the corner and the its all clicked for them.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #62
He'll get a run, once fit, while Pittonet is injured.
But if we don't play him for the rest of the year once Pittonet returns we can probably kiss him goodbye.

I'm also having a bit of a problem with the 'hit-out to advantage' being a useful stat either.
We had 4 in 120 minutes of football and won the game by 50+ points
That's as useful as breasts on a male bovine.

Ruckmen are an endangered species.
They'll go the same way as the 'Rover'

That is an anomaly, i'll admit.
The main take away from that, as i stated earlier, is that our elite pressure essentially overcame that result.
The pressure we put on Freo, for a full 4 quarters no less, is also an anomaly.
Even when Freo got the HTA, the subsequent possessions were under so much pressure that they soon lost that advantage.

The coverage i watched flashed up the 'pressure rating' a few times and each time we were in the elite category.
Now, for a quarter or so, sure, but all game? Unheard of.

I wish i could remember which game it was, but there was a goal directly from a hitout to advantage, from Pittonet, about a month or 2 ago. He hit the ball back over his shoulder, into the breadbasket of a teammate who kicked truly from 35m. It was all over before anyone else could take a step. Thats something that a good tap ruckman can provide.

Reply #63
Hit out to advantage at 0.08 sec ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ix_tPTv-wZQ

It's interesting I've been watching a few clips of Nicholls and Polly Farmer.
Farmer in particular had a habit of taking the ball from the ruck and hand-balling it to a team-mate.
Its a tactic that if you had the sort of ruck dominance Freo had yesterday may have served them better...or even the big whack forward.

Reply #64
Here's one for the books, not one player failed to lay a tackle yesterday. I look at this most weeks and I can't recall over seeing that. I should clarify, every single Blues and Freo player laid at least one tackle.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #65

Farmer in particular had a habit of taking the ball from the ruck and hand-balling it to a team-mate.
Its a tactic that if you had the sort of ruck dominance Freo had yesterday may have served them better...or even the big whack forward.

2 things.

1. Great vid. Its funny the Pittonet tap i was trying to remember looked very similar to the first highlight you saw from big nick. A big round arm over the shoulder into the breadbasket of a teammate.

2. The 'dominance' of a ruck is something that we do not see enough of. Pittonet uses his strength to physical move his opponents out of the way. The grabbing out of the ruck is definitely a sign of dominance that is under utilised. Ironically its more the key forwards who use that tactic, ala Hawkins. The punch forward also seems to be lost to the game for some reason. This is something that can be arranged pre-game as a set play. 'The 3rd centre bounce of each quarter is going to get thumped forward' or whatever 'tell' you wanna use to communicate to your teammates.*

As a former wicket-keeper, i had to know what my bowlers were going to bowl and when. There were a number of signals that were used, some super simply. When a bloke adjusted the chain around his next - wrong-un. When i guy lifted his bowling arm and adjusted his clingy shirt to that shoulder at the top of his run, slower ball. Nobody else knew there was even a signal happening. Same SHOULD be going on at the footy.

Reply #66
Here's one for the books, not one player failed to lay a tackle yesterday. I look at this most weeks and I can't recall over seeing that. I should clarify, every single Blues and Freo player laid at least one tackle.

Young had 5!!! I thought he was good yesterday.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #67

I think contemporary ruckmen are drilled to bring the ball down so the mids can run on to it or another stoppage is forced.  The only recent ruckmen who genuinely and consistently hit the ball to a teammate's advantage are Ryder and Naitanui.  Darcy could have been way more effective if he had been able to break the shackles and play to his strengths and our weaknesses.  Jackson was flat out just trying to get into the game.

Contemporary players who take possession of the ball these days are generally key forwards or part time rucks.  Even Witts, when rucking without an opponent, tried to palm the ball down rather than taking possession, and that resulted in a goal to us.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #68
Tackles inside 50:

Against:

Fremantle: 18
Hawthorn: 12
Gold Coast: 11
Essendon: 7
Melbourne: 4
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #69
So Gold Coast, Hawthorn and Fremantle are no good. Richmond's stumbling victory over Sydney has them primed for finals while Carlton's run is too little too late even though we are ahead of Richmond on the ladder.
I am wary of Carlton but the performances have been very good over the past three matches. Our defence is solid and attacking, our midfield is dominating and our forward line is functioning and we have connection between the lines. We are attacking the ball with intent, we are tackling with our bodies and not just our arms, our small forwards are harassing and kicking goals, our no name defenders are dominating their opponents and our good players are playing up to their abilities.
Carlton has not improved in the second half of a season for 25 years and we haven't gone on a real run of victories for just as long. The rest of the season is a big opportunity starting with Port Adelaide next week.
Just a comment on the ruck situation. Big men should be trying to impose themselves on the match. The problem with Darcy was that everyone knew he would dominate the hit outs, which he did, but that is all he did. He needed to beat up Young and Silvagni which he didn't. In fact Carlton really got into him physically. McKay has become quite physical over the past few weeks and this has created a lot of opportunities for our smaller players. He was very physical with Darcy. If he can keep this up he will have a big say on the rest of this season.

Reply #70
Tackles inside 50:

Against:

Fremantle: 18
Hawthorn: 12
Gold Coast: 11
Essendon: 7
Melbourne: 4

These stats dont surprise me as you can see a real hunger for the contest and swarming of numbers around the ball and if we dont get it we are like a pitbull on a poodle.

Impressed with how we are going in the last 3 weeks just keeping a lid on it till i see how we shape up this week. I give us every chance to cause an upset - If we come out with the same desperation and can stay with them early the crowd will be a massive advantage as the game goes on.

If we bring our best we will win or go very very close. This is a massive week for Voss and the list. Failed in the last 3 games last year when put to the sword really hoping we buck the trend this week.  

Reply #71
No news on Matt Kennedy or McGovern ?