Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 18 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Port Adelaide (Read 5041 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 18 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Port Adelaide

Reply #15
The biggest questions being asked, very reasonably, were around leadership and discipline.
Personally, to me the biggest issue this season has been fitness and game continuity, that is a transient problem.

Long term I think we still have player development issues, the jury is out on players like Hollands, Cowan, etc., until we see them in Season 2 and beyond, after their 2nd or 3rd pre-season.

Port have much bigger heavier bodies than the lightweights we've been playing against for the last few weeks, and they will try to use some of those bodies to place a toll on Cripps, Cerra and Walsh. I wouldn't want to rely on roving to a losing ruck this week!

If he pulls up OK Sam Durdin might come straight in if McGovern is out, Durdin stepped back into VFL like he hadn't missed a beat.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #16
I think we’ll win.

I think we have good momentum, we’re playing at home, should have had a nice rest after the last game and good to go.

As above, agree on fitness. The boys seem to move faster, better, quicker now than a month and two ago. Is that the loading they’ve been getting from the fitness team, have they got it balanced and right now?

It will tell the story for the remainder of the season - win and we’re on track, lose just by a bit and I worry we will capitulate for the rest of the season but think we won’t,  but lose badly and i think that’ll be us done for 2023.

Reply #17
With respect, I don't think that is entirely accurate, K.

Only a very few called for a major cull/coach replacement. I think most of us realise that there will be a moderate cull, nothing major, at year's end. And the cull will only be those whose bodies just aren't up to it and those few who just aren't coming along after having been given plenty of opportunity. And I don't recall anyone on this forum calling for Vossy's sacking.

The biggest questions being asked, very reasonably, were around leadership and discipline.

It wasn't limited to our little pond here mate.

Plenty of talkback radio and media beat up on the topic.

Reply #18
The boys seem to move faster, better, quicker now than a month and two ago. Is that the loading they’ve been getting from the fitness team, have they got it balanced and right now?

I suspect it has more to do with team selection with the inclusion of decisive 'chase, tackle and pressure' types in preference to the players who tend to merely 'chase' in the same general direction as opponents and only seriously accelerate if/when they think they have a chance of catching up or applying physical pressure.

Reply #19
With respect, I don't think that is entirely accurate, K.

Only a very few called for a major cull/coach replacement. I think most of us realise that there will be a moderate cull, nothing major, at year's end. And the cull will only be those whose bodies just aren't up to it and those few who just aren't coming along after having been given plenty of opportunity. And I don't recall anyone on this forum calling for Vossy's sacking.

A list cull is still very much requird Baggers, nothing has changed on that score.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #20
A list cull is still very much requird Baggers, nothing has changed on that score.
A cull is not necessarily good list management, good list management is about having just the right mix of officers and soldiers.

Too many of either results in chaos!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #21
A cull is not necessarily good list management, good list management is about having just the right mix of officers and soldiers.

Too many of either results in chaos!
There are too many "useless" names on our list that must be culled. An by "useless", I mean blokes that cannot be relied upon because they are either always injured or not AFL standard.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #22
Weiters plays his 150th this week so there's some extra motivation for the boys this week.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #23
There are too many "useless" names on our list that must be culled. An by "useless", I mean blokes that cannot be relied upon because they are either always injured or not AFL standard.
x10...I'd add in the word trust too.....you just cant trust some of our players to perform in a consistent manner. You have to be up every week and performing not just when the team comes under pressure or its looking like a cull might happen and you need to up your effort to get a new contract and the club have been linked to other players.

Reply #24
Personally, to me the biggest issue this season has been fitness and game continuity, that is a transient problem.

Long term I think we still have player development issues, the jury is out on players like Hollands, Cowan, etc., until we see them in Season 2 and beyond, after their 2nd or 3rd pre-season.

Port have much bigger heavier bodies than the lightweights we've been playing against for the last few weeks, and they will try to use some of those bodies to place a toll on Cripps, Cerra and Walsh. I wouldn't want to rely on roving to a losing ruck this week!

If he pulls up OK Sam Durdin might come straight in if McGovern is out, Durdin stepped back into VFL like he hadn't missed a beat.
Sam Durdin is ok backup vs the lesser clubs but he will be out of his depth against Dixon and crew imho.
If TDK comes in I would put Young down back again, he hasnt been great this season but at least he has been playing senior football and has a understanding with Weitering and the other defenders. If S. Durdin has to pick up Finlayson or Marshall I could see that getting ugly real quick....

Reply #25
Sam Durdin is ok backup vs the lesser clubs but he will be out of his depth against Dixon and crew imho.
If TDK comes in I would put Young down back again, he hasnt been great this season but at least he has been playing senior football and has a understanding with Weitering and the other defenders. If S. Durdin has to pick up Finlayson or Marshall I could see that getting ugly real quick....
I trust Weiters to bring the pill to ground, as long as the others are up and about, and are also prepared to put themselves in harms way to win the ground ball in front of a rampant Dixon, we should do OK.

I hope Weiters gets a fair go against Dixon this time, the last time we played Port when Dixon was playing their minis got away with a shedload of illegal checking to give Dixon a free ride, it was tactics straight out of the Nthmond play book.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #26
From what I can tell watching Dixon on the TV over many years, he seems like a fairly gentle giant. Looks scary, but plays fair.

Reply #27
From what I can tell watching Dixon on the TV over many years, he seems like a fairly gentle giant. Looks scary, but plays fair.
Agree
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #28
Even so he runs straight lines, you are head to head with a huge opponent when you start dropping in the space.

It's not Dixon that Weiters must worry about, it's the Port smalls who block and check well off the footy to give Dixon space and time.

Also if we can't get TDK or Pitto up, Young and SoJ are up against a Hawkins type opponent in our D50.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #29
Even so he runs straight lines, you are head to head with a huge opponent when you start dropping in the space.

It's not Dixon that Weiters must worry about, it's the Port smalls who block and check well off the footy to give Dixon space and time.

Also if we can't get TDK or Pitto up, Young and SoJ are up against a Hawkins type opponent in our D50.

Maybe, but Finlayson is a bigger threat IMO, as he seems to be mining a rare and rich vein of form. More goals and more behinds than Charlie (JF has played 3 more games), and seems to be their No1 key forward at the moment. I would put more time into Zak Butters, Allir Allir, and Todd Marshall than Charlie Dixon.