Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 18 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Port Adelaide (Read 5181 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 18 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Port Adelaide

Reply #30
Anyone still think we are better off with 2 rucks?
Jack playing the 2nd ruck role, and key forward role, all in one.
Didn't even look fatigued like some suggested while being asked to play ruck.

Give that man a new contract already.

Reply #31
It was good to see Silvagni play such a great team game. Would like to know where that cowardly moron  who said he was a disgrace to his family from 100 yards away was watching from so I could rub his nose in it and tell him we don’t need his kind at our club.

Reply #32
Newman played as damaging a game as I've seen from him.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #33
Just got home from the game. Was lucky enough to be in a corporate room hosted by Sticks and Mil Hanna. Fantastic 4 qtr effort, few if any passengers. Pressure and tackling top shelf. Play with this intensity and we will make finals.

Reply #34
Been waiting for a big win against a top 4 team and we have it. 

They have won 13 in a row and while they lost a few pre game we lost one of our very best early which easily negates their loss and adding in no standout performances by Cripps or Charlie etc this win is full of merit.

Great signs and great for team confidence - has the long sleeping giant finally awoken?

It's a heck of a lot easier to plan on how you replace injured players when you know a week in advance. Whole different ballgame when you need to cover one of your gun early in the match! Well done match committee! Cripps and Curnow? No one wanted the ball or the win more than Cripps after half time and Curnow's role changed as soon as Harry went off and I thought he was great!! We are officially a 'team first' group of players!!

Reply #35
Incidentally, i saw Kan Cornes after the game and had to resist the urge to belt him and point out how wrong he is.....about well....everything. Even after the big loss he had that smug look on his face.

Personally i thought Aliir Aliir beat Charlie when it mattered. Charlie got a few goals late when the result was beyond doubt, but early on Charlie was outmarked and outpositioned pretty easily. Shows you can beat Charlie in a contest, in a quarter, but not for a whole match.

I listened to the game on the radio. Cornes provided "expert" commentary. He sounded like he was coaching Port earlier on. Then he started with the CFC compliments. Yep, fair dinkum. Admittedly a lot were directed towards Motlop, and rightly so. I was amazed to hear how positive he was, and didn't hear much umpire bashing. So credit where credit's due.

It sounded like Charlie made up for missed goals with goal assists. Especially with H out early. Our smalls surprisingly picked up the slack, and Jack had a blinder.

Such a great feeling to win against a top side. Our best this year IMO. Well done.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #36
It's a heck of a lot easier to plan on how you replace injured players when you know a week in advance. Whole different ballgame when you need to cover one of your gun early in the match! Well done match committee! Cripps and Curnow? No one wanted the ball or the win more than Cripps after half time and Curnow's role changed as soon as Harry went off and I thought he was great!!

"We are officially a 'team first' group of players!!"

Music to my ears. We all know how much more the collective adds beyond even the best individuals.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #37
I'm no medico, but was Harry NOT on crutches after the match, a positive sign?

Reply #38
Gees Curnow was good, gave Aliir an absolute bath, if frees were paid for blatant blocks and holds he would have kicked ten today. Kane can't bitch about umpiring today, otherwise it would have pushed 100 points I reckon.
I thought Allir had the better of him early then Curnow got ontop and smashed him.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #39
I'm no medico, but was Harry NOT on crutches after the match, a positive sign?
Nor in a brace. Some bloke on BF who apparently get the good oil reckons its an ACL, from the vision of the incident, watching him walk around and Vossy's comments I would doubt it. Fingers crossed for H.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #40
It's a heck of a lot easier to plan on how you replace injured players when you know a week in advance. Whole different ballgame when you need to cover one of your gun early in the match! Well done match committee! Cripps and Curnow? No one wanted the ball or the win more than Cripps after half time and Curnow's role changed as soon as Harry went off and I thought he was great!! We are officially a 'team first' group of players!!
When Harry went down, I thought we looked a little short all of a sudden. I thought Young would have been a better sub to add height and positional cover. Im glad I was a wrong, the adjustments made by the coaches and players was first rate.
PS What a difference waking up to 4 wins in a row makes.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #41
I listened to the game on the radio. Cornes provided "expert" commentary. He sounded like he was coaching Port earlier on.........................

I also listened to the radio, but I always listen  to the ABC call. Cornes is far too ubiquitous for my tastes.

Reply #42
Nor in a brace. Some bloke on BF who apparently get the good oil reckons its an ACL, from the vision of the incident, watching him walk around and Vossy's comments I would doubt it. Fingers crossed for H.

My daughter was walking normally almost immediately after she did her ACL.  So much so that it wasn’t diagnosed for a couple of weeks.  On the other hand, my brother couldn’t walk when he did his ACL.  It largely depends on how much other damage the knee suffers.

Harry’s knee didn’t appear to hyper-extend and, like the commentators, I thought he’d done an ankle.  Bottom line is that we won’t know until after the scan.

🤞that it’s not too bad.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #43

We probably have to be a little careful that we don't look at periods in isolation.
Otherwise.. we're currently second favourites for the flag. :D  :D

Jack was stuffed at the end of last season.
He started this year in indifferent form and the suggestion from some, was that he needed some time in the VFL to recharge.
Well that happened.
It may have been a longer stint if not for the injuries to Pittonet and TDK

There were some interesting comments by Brereton at the time, some of which in hindsight, look to be a bit wide of the mark, but also give a bit of an explanation of a 'point in time' and the effect of the different ruck combinations.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/carlton-blues/afl-2023-carlton-blues-dropped-jack-silvagni-team-news-selection-game-against-sydney-swans-reaction-response-marc-pittonet-tom-de-koning-future/news-story/af5b70b3e80f95617391be588db639c2

So Jack's come back and he looks in real good touch....the test will be how he looks at the end of the year.
Has the addition of a couple of forwards also taken a bit of pressure off Jack, taken a bit of the burden, and allowed him a bit more freedom when resting forward?
The team is playing as a unit rather than a group of individuals.

What about the ruck situation going forward?
At the momement I suspect folks are more then happy with the TDK/Silvagni combination.
It's the best we've looked since the middle of last year....perhaps even better.

What happens when Pittonet is fit again?
Tom had the highest number of hitouts for both sides yesterday (we'll wait for the HTA's) but he was getting his hands on it, and his work around the grounds wasn't too bad with 13 disposals and seven score involvements. Hard to drop him on that form.

Do you go with the Pittonet/ TDK, TDK/ Jack or Pitto/Jack?
Well the question may have been answered with the injury to McKay.
Hopefully it's not season ending but he looks like he may miss weeks.
If that's the case....no problem.
They all play.

Reply #44

Two rucks every time, provided they can do more than take part in ruck contests.

Anyone still think that Pittonet should be selected ahead of de Koning?

That was a great display of forward craft by Silvagni, initially as third tall and then as KPF.  In fact our forward has been functioning well and adapted to the loss of Harry without missing a beat.  The addition of Martin, Cuningham and Fogarty has helped but Ash Hansen deserves credit.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball