Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 19 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs West Coast (Read 2830 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 19 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs West Coast

Reply #15
Mixed emotions. Relieved, happy for Charlie, good % boost, need to build a temporary hospital ward at PP FFS.

If there's something we have league leading experience in, it's injury management.
Go Mr Russell and co.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #16
The rest were ordinary.

It’s interesting to compare Dow and Hollands;  the latter seems to have plenty of time to pick the best option and hit the target by hand or foot.  Dow probably spends more time in heavy traffic but seems to be rushed with his decision making and execution.

Solid games from both today.
Agree, went to the game and Paddy was disappointing imo.Butchered the ball often when he was well clear and his defensive work was ordinary.
Injuries aside I wasn't that thrilled after half time with our general play with the exception of Charlie who was a class above anyone else on the ground and playing at a different level.
Honey is another who had the chance to impress but didn't ....

Reply #17

A solid win and the loss of momentum was understandable give the injuries through the game having an effect on rotations.
Some of them actually looked a bit buggered at half time so they obviously went hell for leather for the first bit and had the game essentially over at quarter time.

The concern will be the injuries both pre and post game and how players come up.............

I generally agree lods. Not sure what fans are expecting. 5 wins in a row by 10+ goals.

Reply #18
How good was Hollands q3 left foot bullet  to Charlie for his 8th...
A view of the future. God, it was good!
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #19
Honey appeared to be working harder today, but he just isn't getting enough of the pill. And when he does get it, he doesn't do enough with it. It will be a miracle if he is on our list next year. Pity, but that is how it is.

Cowan was also pretty quiet today, but he'll get better. Not sure he'll be in next week, though.

Dow did some really nice things, but he just doesn't hurt teams with his disposal often enough.

Cincotta didn't have a big game, but he did some really nice things. His pressure was excellent. Coming back on and doing well, that says it all.

Walsh would have had 40 possessions had been been on the ground all day. he was inspired in that first quarter and a bit.
The same could be said of Motlop; his first 2 quarters were excellent.
Even Jack was playing brilliantly until he was hurt.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #20
Agree, went to the game and Paddy was disappointing imo.Butchered the ball often when he was well clear and his defensive work was ordinary.
Injuries aside I wasn't that thrilled after half time with our general play with the exception of Charlie who was a class above anyone else on the ground and playing at a different level.
Honey is another who had the chance to impress but didn't ....

I thought that we relaxed a little in the second half and just did enough to maintain our lead … and get Charlie to 10 goals.  We still had some great individual efforts and chains of possession though.

I was disappointed with Honey today.  It was the perfect opportunity to step up and take advantage of a weakened opposition but he went MIA.

The cupboard’s pretty bare but Binns and, if fit, Owies and Fisher would have more of a crack than Honey did today.

One of the things I noticed today was the flexibility/versatility of some of our players.  After a goal had been scored, Kemp came off the bench and headed to the defensive 50 while signalling to Newman.  Newman ran to the wing and signalled to Hollands who then ran to the forward 50 and took up a position as high half forward.

The other thing that caught my eye was our forward 50 set up for centre bounces.  We had one player in the square (usually Charlie), one player about 25m from goal (Motlop or Silvagni until injured) and four players just inside the 50m arc.  At times Ed Curnow would start in a true half forward flank position about 40m out and 20m from the boundary.  I’d not really noticed that setup before.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #22
Honey appeared to be working harder today, but he just isn't getting enough of the pill. And when he does get it, he doesn't do enough with it. It will be a miracle if he is on our list next year. Pity, but that is how it is.

Cowan was also pretty quiet today, but he'll get better. Not sure he'll be in next week, though.

Dow did some really nice things, but he just doesn't hurt teams with his disposal often enough.

Cincotta didn't have a big game, but he did some really nice things. His pressure was excellent. Coming back on and doing well, that says it all.

Walsh would have had 40 possessions had been been on the ground all day. he was inspired in that first quarter and a bit.
The same could be said of Motlop; his first 2 quarters were excellent.
Even Jack was playing brilliantly until he was hurt.
Motlop was very good when he was playing and has benefited from that stint in the twos and playing a bit of midfield.
Reading the play well and I like how he is marking the ball and giving us another avenue to goal, hope he can get up for next weeks game. Walsh was very good last week and displayed a bit of class today in the first quarter with how he won and used the ball, he is a key driver in this team and without him, Cripps and Cerra thats your A grade midfield group gone and we lost a bit of composure and polish compared to last week after half time imho.

Reply #23
Our normal midfield is Cripps, Walsh, Cerra and Kennedy, after half time it was Hewitt,  Dow, Ed Curnow and Docherty. I think TDK has come back with real purpose and the pressure and endeavour is fantastic. There is a real physical presence about the team at the moment and our skills have picked up along with our teaming. Where was this earlier in the year? The turn around has been so great supporters are complaining about a twelve goal win which was our fifth 50 point win in a row. We have a real show against Collingwood if we show up with the same mindset we have had over the past five games. I am not sure it would matter who we have out on the ground though having Charlie Curnow is a big help. While watching Charlie today I was thinking about how different it was with Fev. Fev was the most exciting Carlton player I have seen over the sixty years I have been watching football but it really was all about him. Charlie appears to be about the team and the Club. He could be anything.

Reply #24
I saw a stat earlier today that showed Walsh had the 4th most all time consecutive games with 20+ disposals 63 and counting. Only other active was Jack mcrae 68 in 2nd all time.

This ends that streak.

I read that not as playing 168 games in a row and getting 20 disposals but as having played 168 games and getting 20+ disposals…
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #27
Charlie appears to be about the team and the Club. He could be anything.

Could have almost grabbed the Dow goal, to claim a 'cheapie' but let it roll through.

Reply #28
I thought that we relaxed a little in the second half and just did enough to maintain our lead … and get Charlie to 10 goals.  We still had some great individual efforts and chains of possession though.

I was disappointed with Honey today.  It was the perfect opportunity to step up and take advantage of a weakened opposition but he went MIA.

The cupboard’s pretty bare but Binns and, if fit, Owies and Fisher would have more of a crack than Honey did today.

One of the things I noticed today was the flexibility/versatility of some of our players.  After a goal had been scored, Kemp came off the bench and headed to the defensive 50 while signalling to Newman.  Newman ran to the wing and signalled to Hollands who then ran to the forward 50 and took up a position as high half forward.

The other thing that caught my eye was our forward 50 set up for centre bounces.  We had one player in the square (usually Charlie), one player about 25m from goal (Motlop or Silvagni until injured) and four players just inside the 50m arc.  At times Ed Curnow would start in a true half forward flank position about 40m out and 20m from the boundary.  I’d not really noticed that setup before.
There is no question, Voss has them humming now. Everyone plays their role to a tee, sacrifices something for the team and as someone else said, execution has improved through the roof. The spread that was missing in the middle of the year is there and makes us look a yard or 2 quicker.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #29
Could have almost grabbed the Dow goal, to claim a 'cheapie' but let it roll through.

I'm pretty sure he was thinking about it.
But he'll get more kudos for letting it roll through than if he'd kicked it.
Commentators will highlight the 'team first' aspect.