Skip to main content
Topic: Round 1 - Blues v Tigers (21 March) Pre-Game (Read 32508 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Round 1 - Blues v Tigers (21 March)

Reply #135
Like the positivity, but Setterfield has played 2 games, walsh has played none. For our midfield to be competitive we need the guys who have 30-50 games to step up - SPS, Fisher, Cuningham etc

The point was if we hadn't run into an injury wall last year we wouldn't have Walsh nor Setterfield who we got for the price of those equalisation picks pretty much.

Reply #136
Polson is a coaches favourite, Fasalo is new and has already stuffed up....dont see Fasalo getting rewarded with a game without some decent form.
Logic also says the Tigers are very strong in terms of small forwards and we are very weak in terms of having suitable opponents so thats another tick for Polson.
Would I play him....No....his pre season form has been ordinary and mirrored what we saw last season bar one game and his skill level/turn over factor a real negative but
having both the coaching group and playing group onside means Polson will get his fair share of opportunities starting with round 1 IMO.

I wouldn't pick Polson on the face of it if it was my call but I put a bit of faith in the coaches that they need his pace and pressure. They give him a job to do. We don't know what that is but he must be carrying it out particularly well.

I really like his pace and his willingness to kick on his left and those flashes of brilliance.

Reply #137
Lynch to play on Thursday night if he trains ok next session......

Reply #138
I wouldn't pick Polson on the face of it if it was my call but I put a bit of faith in the coaches that they need his pace and pressure. They give him a job to do. We don't know what that is but he must be carrying it out particularly well.

I really like his pace and his willingness to kick on his left and those flashes of brilliance.

I think that's right Jeza.  Polson is not a coach's favourite, he is simply rewarded for carrying out his role - whatever that may be  :)

I tried to watch him closely in the JLT games and he is certainly around the contest and applying pressure, and that seems to be what his role is.  However, I'd like to see him make the most of limited possessions and get more score involvements.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #139

Flashes of brilliance?

What are you smoking Jeza?  :o
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #140
Flashes of brilliance?

What are you smoking Jeza?  :o

I agree with Jeza. However, I would like to see those flashes of brilliance just a tad more frequently  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #141
I think that's right Jeza.  Polson is not a coach's favourite, he is simply rewarded for carrying out his role - whatever that may be  :)

I tried to watch him closely in the JLT games and he is certainly around the contest and applying pressure, and that seems to be what his role is.  However, I'd like to see him make the most of limited possessions and get more score involvements.

Most of the pressure he has applied in the JLT games has to been to his teammates with his wonky disposal .......although limited possessions has probably worked in his favour.... :)

Reply #142
I hope this year the coaches start picking teams to win games instead of picking players to give them game time to 'learn the craft'.
It is time for results Bolts!
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #143
Poulson is no better or worse than Carrazzo at the same stage of his career, he's still a beginner who is getting better with time so it's worth waiting.

Also Poulson is an A-Grade antidote to some of the d17kh3ads that can be commonly found in and around football clubs.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #144
Poulson is no better or worse than Carrazzo at the same stage of his career, he's still a beginner who is getting better with time so it's worth waiting.

Also Poulson is an A-Grade antidote to some of the d17kh3ads that can be commonly found in and around football clubs.

Nope, not so.

Carrots was always a ball magnet...even if his ball use was so so early on.

Polson barely touches the ball during a game....and doesn't even get big numbers in the 2s.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #145
Nope, not so.

Carrots was always a ball magnet...even if his ball use was so so early on.

Polson barely touches the ball during a game....and doesn't even get big numbers in the 2s.

Carrazzo's role was to get the pill but consistently kicking it to the opposition's advantage was almost as bad as playing with 17 men vs 19.

Polson's role is to stop an opponent getting the ball and to limit effective kicks out of the opposition's defensive 50.  I think that he does that quite well ... but he needs to win more of the ball.

Reply #146
Carrazzo's role was to get the pill but consistently kicking it to the opposition's advantage was almost as bad as playing with 17 men vs 19.

Polson's role is to stop an opponent getting the ball and to limit effective kicks out of the opposition's defensive 50.  I think that he does that quite well ... but he needs to win more of the ball.

Not suggesting for a second they have the same role....that said, I do feel that Polson is better served learning his trade in the 2s....

On present form/output, I very much doubt he'd get a game in any other team.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #147
I'm a bit of a Polson fan.
I'm always a bit biased by attitude so that probably means I put a bit more emphasis on the good things.

I think I described him last year as an 'almost' player.
"Almost makes those tackles stick"
"Almost breaks through the tackle and into the clear."

There was one occasion on the weekend (yep, only one I can think of....and it was in a practice game) when he did make that break and delivered the ball perfectly to the forward.

Is there a hundred game payer there?
Who knows... I suspect some will think "probably yes" because he's a "Bolton Pet"
But Bolton is not in a position to be able to afford the luxury of playing players because they show a good attitude for much longer.
Games will be earned on the ability to influence results rather than on learning experiences.

If Polson's in the side at the end of the season it will be because he's earned his spot.

Reply #148
Carazzo was a very fine player and his disposal issues over hyped........Polson is just a D grade hacker in comparison and I cant see the fascination that the coaches and some supporters have with him.

Reply #149
I'm a bit of a Polson fan.
I'm always a bit biased by attitude so that probably means I put a bit more emphasis on the good things.

I think I described him last year as an 'almost' player.
"Almost makes those tackles stick"
"Almost breaks through the tackle and into the clear."

There was one occasion on the weekend (yep, only one I can think of....and it was in a practice game) when he did make that break and delivered the ball perfectly to the forward.

Is there a hundred game payer there?
Who knows... I suspect some will think "probably yes" because he's a "Bolton Pet"
But Bolton is not in a position to be able to afford the luxury of playing players because they show a good attitude for much longer.
Games will be earned on the ability to influence results rather than on learning experiences.

If Polson's in the side at the end of the season it will be because he's earned his spot.

Hence why Fas should be miles ahead.....ditto SoJ for that matter.
Finals, then 4 in a row!