Skip to main content
Topic: Pre Game premonitions: AFL Rd 2: Carlton V Melbourne (Sat 13/6 4.35) (Read 7661 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre Game premonitions: AFL Rd 2: Carlton V Melbourne (Sat 13/6 4.35)

Reply #60
Melbourne's strength is their mid-field, how they move the ball when they are firing and their back line looks pretty strong as well. I think our mid-field is ok with Cripps, Murphy, Curnow, Walsh, Setterfield and Gibbons, with others to run through their. Pittonet will have a big job to compete against Gawn and to limit his influence. Our forward line looks good on paper with Casboult, McKay, McGovern, Betts, Martin and Silvagni and if they can pressure the Melbourne defence by kicking goals and tackling, this will restrict their ball movement. Melbourne's forward line looks a bit thin and very reliant on McDonald and our defence should be able to cover them. We can't afford to give them a four, five, six goal start and then try to run them down. I am reasonably confident particularly as the Demons don't like Marvel stadium as a rule and while we should be making some sort of surge up the ladder, our recent history counts against that scenario.
We will win or loose this game in the ruck. If Gawn gets off the chain we are in strife. I would have had much more confidence in curtailing his influence with a fit Kruze taking him on.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #61
We will win or loose this game in the ruck. If Gawn gets off the chain we are in strife. I would have had much more confidence in curtailing his influence with a fit Kruze taking him on.

Gawn (and other taller ruckman) destroy Kreuzer.

Pittonet is bigger and angrier than Kreuzer. He'll worry Gawn and terrify Jackson.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #62
We're buggered if we can't win this game...

And if the tigers and pies have a 36 point draw, where the hell does that leave the blues v demons?  a soccer score?

I laugh because I have no tears left.

Reply #63
Gawn (and other taller ruckman) destroy Kreuzer.

Pittonet is bigger and angrier than Kreuzer. He'll worry Gawn and terrify Jackson.

Agree about Pittonet, but the assessment of Gawn / Kreuzer is way off the mark.

See Final Siren Head to Head - Gawn vs Kreuzer

Gawn himself lists Kreuzer as his toughest opponent and the player he struggles against more than any other.

Our biggest problem with Gawn is when Kreuzer is off the ground(injured probably) and Levi took over, Gawn would push forward and score goals at will. If McGovern or Levi float to the defensive side of center this should help address that issue, but until the later half of last season Levi was lost and was basically a chook running ruckmen.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #64
No Ollie Wines.  Cripps should have a day out.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #65
No Ollie Wines.  Cripps should have a day out.

Cripps will have Clayton Oliver and Harmes for company......
I think we can win this game, Melbourne have gone with a more mobile team but have a few inexperienced kids as well
and IMO we have a better balanced team.

re: Wines...think Cripps might have him as a team-mate next season....

Reply #66
7 changes is a heck of a lot of changes and difficult for some of the newbies to gel in one game with limited time together.

I think we can do it.   (BTW, B Gibbs omitted again. New coach not impressed?? ....could be curtains)

Reply #67
7 changes is a heck of a lot of changes and difficult for some of the newbies to gel in one game with limited time together.

I think we can do it.   (BTW, B Gibbs omitted again. New coach not impressed?? ....could be curtains)
We Are Carlton
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #68
Jack Silvagni out

Reply #69
At team selection time I was looking for the listed emergencies but didn't see any announced. Never actually thinking one would be needed... alas.... One already....
Who is the obvious/best replacement?
Matt Kennedy seems the logical size and shape best fit.

Reply #70
Emergencies:  Williamson, Kennedy, Philps,  Lang.

Pleeeease, not LANG!!!

Reply #71
Jack Silvagni out
Gastro, that would be an evil word at the moment!

I'd give Philps a crack.

I think we look a bit top heavy for Etihad, Docklands, Downtown or Marvel, whatever it's called. It's a pretty hard and fast ground, that usually suits runners not Titanics.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #72
Emergencies:  Williamson, Kennedy, Philps,  Lang.

Pleeeease, not LANG!!!

Reckon it'll be Kennedy. Proven goal kicker/forward.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #74
Lang it is
I would have gone for Willo

Agree...Williamson is a good match up for some of the Melbourne players IMO and gives
us a bit more grunt.
2nd choice would be Kennedy...
Last choice would be Lang....