Skip to main content
Topic: Pre game postulations: AFL 2020 Rd 12: Carlton vs Fremantle (Read 8617 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre game postulations: AFL 2020 Rd 12: Carlton vs Fremantle

Reply #75
I'll give you Boak a full year younger but the other two are 6 months difference only and have also played more games which equates to over a season so they would be more worn given the extra work.
You didnt answer my question on what Murphy is providing us vs the cost of keeping a younger player out of the team and sacrificing development? We are still two seasons off playing decent winning finals IMO why keep old tired legs?

Who is he keeping out? The blokes that Bolton was playing? How was that working out for us?

Perhaps what Murphy, and other elder players, offer the team more than what your average supporter realises. ;)

Reply #76
Who is he keeping out? The blokes that Bolton was playing? How was that working out for us?

Perhaps what Murphy, and other elder players, offer the team more than what your average supporter realises. ;)
If thats true then our depth is very very average and we have more problems than we realize as none of those players will be in our next major finals assault..

Reply #77
If thats true then our depth is very very average and we have more problems than we realize as none of those players will be in our next major finals assault..
Michael Walters
IN
Harry McKay,
Josh Honey

Travis Colyer (Injured)
OUT
Jack Martin (Injured),
Marc Pittonet (Injured)
-
NEW
Josh Honey

Reply #78
Boak, Selwood and Pendlebury all around  32...our own Simpson ,but thats not the issue, its what is Murphy providing us and is he keeping a younger player with more upside out of the team or is he providing leadership and winning his position each week?
IMO Murphy and Simpson need to retire along with Kreuzer and should sit the remaining games out and then play the last vs Brisbane..

Need to keep playing our best side. Win tomorrow and we're just a game out of the 8. Let's others earn their spots now.

Reply #79
Well you tell me. You said Murphy is keeping someone out of the side. Who?
Who will be better in the 22 than Murphy?

As for our depth....
McKay
Curnow
McGovern
J. Silvagni
Kreuzer
N. Newman
Cuningham

All unavailable for selection last match. All would be picked by most to be in our best 22.

On top of that, fringe players like Marchbank and Dow are coming back from injury and have not been deemed match fit yet. Neither has Kemp who we recruited injured.

Along with the 22 that played last week. That is 32 players from our list. There is only a 46 players on our list, so how many of the 14 players not in either list are good enough to keep Murphy out of the side?

We've given at least 1 game to
Moore
Lang
Philp
None of them are the answer.
Honey gets a game this week.

Who is left?
Macreadie
Polson
Stocker
Obrien
Owies
Goddard
Ramsay
Phillips
Odwyer
B. Silvagni

Which of those 10 offers the side more than Murphy?

Name any of them....i dare ya.

Reply #80
Michael Walters
IN
Harry McKay,
Josh Honey

Travis Colyer (Injured)
OUT
Jack Martin (Injured),
Marc Pittonet (Injured)
-
NEW
Josh Honey
Beware a Carlton debutant who shows form in the 2's.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #81
Well you tell me. You said Murphy is keeping someone out of the side. Who?
Who will be better in the 22 than Murphy?

As for our depth....
McKay
Curnow
McGovern
J. Silvagni
Kreuzer
N. Newman
Cuningham

All unavailable for selection last match. All would be picked by most to be in our best 22.

On top of that, fringe players like Marchbank and Dow are coming back from injury and have not been deemed match fit yet. Neither has Kemp who we recruited injured.

Along with the 22 that played last week. That is 32 players from our list. There is only a 46 players on our list, so how many of the 14 players not in either list are good enough to keep Murphy out of the side?

We've given at least 1 game to
Moore
Lang
Philp
None of them are the answer.
Honey gets a game this week.

Who is left?
Macreadie
Polson
Stocker
Obrien
Owies
Goddard
Ramsay
Phillips
Odwyer
B. Silvagni

Which of those 10 offers the side more than Murphy?

Name any of them....i dare ya.
Its not about this season, we wont be playing finals IMO and I would have played Dow, Philp, Obrien ahead of Murphy and if Stocker was fit/available ahead of Simpson....
This is the season where you can experiment and not kill the coach, next season is when we want our best team on the park each week.

Reply #82
Its not about this season, we wont be playing finals IMO and I would have played Dow, Philp, Obrien ahead of Murphy and if Stocker was fit/available ahead of Simpson....
This is the season where you can experiment and not kill the coach, next season is when we want our best team on the park each week.

Whether we do or not when you're in with a shot you have to go all out for it. The best development we can have is to be playing under pressure each week for a possible finals spot even if we miss out. Play it out to the end. And even better for development if we were to make it (I think we might narrowly miss with an 8-9 record and rue the Melbourne and Port losses). All those players have played games so there's no need to blood them, they can earn their spots. It's not like other years now.

Reply #83

....and then we are back where we were last year, playing kids, not winning and killing morale.

You've learned nothing.

Breed a winning culture and let kids develop in their own time.

Reply #84
I like the changes, however I would have been tempted to play Dow instead of SPS until he shows some fight.

Reply #85
I like the changes, however I would have been tempted to play Dow instead of SPS until he shows some fight.

I reckon Dow will be an in next game.
Still trying to find fitness.

Reply #86
Whether we do or not when you're in with a shot you have to go all out for it. The best development we can have is to be playing under pressure each week for a possible finals spot even if we miss out. Play it out to the end. And even better for development if we were to make it (I think we might narrowly miss with an 8-9 record and rue the Melbourne and Port losses). All those players have played games so there's no need to blood them, they can earn their spots. It's not like other years now.
Whilst I agree in theory, the reality is when you've won 4 of 10, winning 6 of the next 7 is extremely unlikely. Those close loses and big turn arounds have cost us the chance Im affraid.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #87
Whilst I agree in theory, the reality is when you've won 4 of 10, winning 6 of the next 7 is extremely unlikely. Those close loses and big turn arounds have cost us the chance Im affraid.
Better to finish the season with optimism then fall further down the ladder so some kids can get some participation medals.

Reply #88
....and then we are back where we were last year, playing kids, not winning and killing morale.

You've learned nothing.

Breed a winning culture and let kids develop in their own time.
Murphy hasn't been breeding a winning culture now or in previous seasons, I'll refer you to Spanner for further details why...
Port have played their kids and prospered...

Reply #89
How many 33yo's are playing better than him?

I don't care about his age. His form dropped off a cliff at 25.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!