Skip to main content
Topic: Trumpled (Alternative Leading) (Read 385125 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Trumpled (Alternative Leading)

Reply #2220
We should have learnt our lesson.
Expect the unexpected...
Take a break for a bit and read, rinse and recycle the first twenty or so pages of this thread...it's pretty funny how set we were in our opinions (which haven't shifted much).

How's the weather up there today tonyo.  :D  :D  :D

I had every intention, but it wasn't within my 5km zone......

;)
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #2221
I had every intention, but it wasn't within my 5km zone......

;)
;D

Zika in 2016 never really impacted.
no doubt Covid will.

Reply #2222
Given News Corps love of circular references, I suspect ............................. News Corp!

Usually in the form of Full New York Front Page, news break, bulletin leading headline today, followed by small isolated local regional blurb Page. 65 technical clarification tomorrow, framed in a low contrast font and positioned below a full colour bare breasted tattooed angel called Baby! In regions where nudity offends, in the 3rd last column of the wanted Ads under a heading of Possible Correction.

You're probably on the mark here LP. This circular technique or similar apparently is used even more widely to establish desired narratives for political purposes and retractions are not always forthcoming.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #2223
I read an article recently about a news site that was ordered to print a retraction. For the life of me, I can’t remember the site or even if it was in the US or Aus. But the site printed the retraction at the bottom of the Users Terms of Use! The editor tried to argue this was the appropriate place for it but the judge didn’t agree  ;D

EDIT: A man sued over a segment on Channel 10’s The Project insinuating he was to blame for the death of another man (in an admittedly weird scenario). Channel 10 printed the “clarification” on its Terms of Use page: Ten slammed by judge for hiding defamation statement on Terms of Use page

Reply #2224
How's the weather up there today tonyo.  :D  :D  :D

At least he doesn’t have to worry about COVID 🙂
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #2225
Don't play me for dumb.  I know that ... why do you think I said "seemingly"  >:(
@capcom‍, if you know it is probably rubbish reporting why re-post the link then, why give it even more notoriety here?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #2226
You're probably on the mark here LP. This circular technique or similar apparently is used even more widely to establish desired narratives for political purposes and retractions are not always forthcoming.
Actually they are published quite often for legal purposes but you won't see them easily, cynically they might be in a 4 or 6 pt font suitably obscured by vague language or cluttered design to ensure finding them is like finding a toothpick surrounded by mighty oak trees.

News Ltd are professionals at feeding the chickens, with recycled dead chicken.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #2227
@LP

Been looking for the retraction of the Biden story, have you seen anything?

Reply #2228
@LP

Been looking for the retraction of the Biden story, have you seen anything?
Best way to find them is wait for the court case, then News Corp Ltd will tell you where, when and which edition they hid it in!

Reminds me of when the Treasurer tells the public about those previously gazetted tax changes!
(Gazetted in a Special Edition at 7pm on a Friday night before a long weekend, which by the following Tuesday morning has become the previous/past edition that nobody read!) ;D
The Force Awakens!

Reply #2229
Best way to find them is wait for the court case, then News Corp Ltd will tell you where and which edition they hid it in!

Reminds me of when the Treasurer tells the public about those previously gazetted tax changes!
(Gazetted at 7pm on a Friday night before a long weekend, which by the following Tuesday morning has become a previous/past edition!) ;D

Cheers mate, no worries. Just academic interest.

Reply #2230
Cheers mate, no worries. Just academic interest.
;D @cookie2‍, I worked for News Ltd for a decade, and the HWT before it became News Ltd, I suspect they have more ways to bury the dead than any politician!

When I was there there were some sub-editors who would even make it hard to find the published winners of a promotional quiz, so that few if any would claim minor prizes! They knew very few readers would go looking for the supplementary stuff. The magazine editors had facilities they kept prizes locked up in, and each promo had a cut-off date, after the cut-off date they would divvy up the left-overs or have an office party on the "waste" like Christmas in July. Some managers/editors were more ethical, donating the spoils to charity, but not all! btw., This is for prizes below a certain value, above a certain value unclaimed prizes had to be surrendered to the state. For example, they give away a car and some other major prizes, with a stack of trivial products, vouchers and gifts for dozens or hundreds of runner-up types. But a stack of lower prizes are never claimed and never see the light of day before the cut-off date, but I'll guarantee you every winner's name was published on-time and as required by the law!

In fairness, I suppose organisations like McDonald's do the very same, they promote multi-million dollar games like McNopoly, but what portion of McNopoly is never claimed? But I doubt the managers and staff load up on unclaimed French Fries!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #2231
There was a doco called McMillions which was all about the fact that for a decade there were almost no genuine winners of McDonald’s 1 million dollar prizes in the US.

Reply #2233
@LP

Getting a bit off topic now but a mate of mine a few years ago paid hundreds of dollars for a ticket in a raffle in support of under privileged youth, first prize a new Porsche. Next thing he knew he was dragged into an investigation into the whole thing. Long story short, it was a massive scam that had pocketed most of the cash over many years and the prize was always won by the same person connected to the scam.

Reply #2234
I along with 2000 other people have spent a couple of hundred dollars on a raffle ticket for a football club that I support to only to see the prize be won by a director and donated back to the club where they auctioned/sold it for market price.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!