Skip to main content
Topic: shaving (Read 12349 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: shaving

Reply #15
You blokes must be millionaires, those flash razors cost a fortune!

A straight shave with a straight blade, just rub a bar of soap on the dry face first, then afterwards buff off the residue with the dry towel, or your shirt!

Best of all, if you are use to straight shaving and get stuck out in the bush, the broken stubby works just as well, always scrap with the grain though! ;)

The Force Awakens!

Reply #16
Doesn't worry me. I haven't shaved since march 1970.  8)

I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #19
In shower, Schick Quatro and Gillette Sensitive Gel....for some reason I can make the blades last for about 6-8 weeks before I change them...brings the cost right down...then a bit of Garnier After Shave cream...the days off to a great start ;)

Reply #20
My skin can't handle the wet shave too well like others on here.

My parents bought me an electric Philishave 8894 - 11 odd years ago. THE best present ever. I still use it to this day. Quick, v v easy to clean (run under tab and leave to dry), charges fully within an hour and that charge will last for a couple of months. I have had to replace the heads on it once in all that time. Though I think I might need to do so again. ($35-50) When I went to the shaver shop, I think the one between Bourke and Elizabeth Street in Melbourne, the guy at the counter sagely nodded and told me it was an old time classic electric. One of the best made. Sadly I felt like I was part of some dorky privileged club  :o  :o

I don't think you can buy these anymore, but I won't go back to wet shave. Electric is convenient and way, way cheaper in the long run guys. Even if you invest $200 on a good quality one, you will be miles ahead in $$$ over the next few years instead of paying a bloody fortune on razors and rashes.
Keep the Faith

Reply #21
Never heard of a beard Lance???????  ::)
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #24
My skin can't handle the wet shave too well like others on here.

My parents bought me an electric Philishave 8894 - 11 odd years ago. THE best present ever. I still use it to this day. Quick, v v easy to clean (run under tab and leave to dry), charges fully within an hour and that charge will last for a couple of months. I have had to replace the heads on it once in all that time. Though I think I might need to do so again. ($35-50) When I went to the shaver shop, I think the one between Bourke and Elizabeth Street in Melbourne, the guy at the counter sagely nodded and told me it was an old time classic electric. One of the best made. Sadly I felt like I was part of some dorky privileged club  :o  :o

I don't think you can buy these anymore, but I won't go back to wet shave. Electric is convenient and way, way cheaper in the long run guys. Even if you invest $200 on a good quality one, you will be miles ahead in $$$ over the next few years instead of paying a bloody fortune on razors and rashes.

Yep Electric is the way to go to Woody, tried a few and Braun make the best today, was a Remington man for many years but they have fallen behind Braun in terms of design and technology IMO...
Did use blades as a young bloke but ended up looking like Norman Gunston after carving my face up and have not used one for 30 years....

Reply #25
I used a Philishave electric and switched to a Braun and thought it was the best thing I ever bought. Bought replacement blades and grill when they wore out and had it for 10 years. Now I bought a $39 (ALDI) electric they sell and think its the best thing I have ever used. Closer shaving than when I use a blade years ago.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #26
Really not a fan of electric razors, mine is pretty old and I believe that are all nasty for causing in-grown hairs as well as giving an inferior shave. Only use it when I'm in a real hurry. Blade is a much better option.
Aldi sell a multi blade razor - much cheaper than the 'branded' ones and every bit as good. Well worth considering - I swapped over a couple of years back and have not looked back.

Reply #27
Not quite as long as that jk, but it does get a quick trim now and again.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #28
I can't believe the price of razorblades for the current crop of razors - another rip off like printer ink and electric tooth brush heads  >:(

I use a Phillishave and I have just replaced the blades after about 5 years.  It does a pretty good job but it's not a close shave.  I use a disposable in the shower if I want a closer shave.

I still have my original shaving brush and that may get a run once or twice a year.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball