Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 15: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs Adelaide (Read 37763 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 15: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs Adelaide

Reply #60
Cuners, Fisher barely sighted....i keep hearing about 'pressure acts' in relation to the latter but seriously, I'd prefer disposals....

Thought Kerridge did enough to hold a spot for now....his good comfortably outweighed his bad. If anything he was the one assigned to nullify Sloane....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #61
Cuners, Fisher barely sighted....i keep hearing about 'pressure acts' in relation to the latter but seriously, I'd prefer disposals....

Except if they come from Murphy who had 29.

Seriously, you contradict yourself in the space of an hour (sometimes 5 minutes) on a regular basis.

Murphy isn't/wasn't hard enough at it (not applying enough pressure on/at the ball/opponent) but you prefer disposals over pressure acts.

Go rewatch a game and look at how many times we force the opposition to make an extra handball (or 5) by the amount of pressure we apply on them. Then see how often this pressure leads to a turnover.
Pressure on the kick makes the difference between an easy mark on the lead, or enough of a miskick that a spoil can be effective.

You complain about our team pointing out that our midfield is the biggest problem because they bomb the ball inside 50 too often. Is that because they are under pressure or because our forwards can't get free? Now either its not the midfield that is the problem, or its the pressure that the opposition are putting on them that is forcing the long bombs.

Reply #62
I thought our midfield more than held its own keeping in mind we didn't have our best and most experienced tagger.
Murphy, Gibbs and Cripps were all very good,  Cripps' goal from outside 50 was a ripper as were Gibbs' long snap and big pack mark, Murphy was in everything.
Kerridge was surprisingly good, Graham busy and Cunningham and Fisher both show plenty of promise.
Another big bodied mid like Cripps wouldn't go astray.
Our front 6 was where we were beaten today, apart from Charlie Curnow we didn't get consistent output or pressure from our forwards, but that's an ongoing problem without an obvious solution.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #63
Thought Weitering was very ordinary today too. Is he injured or just bereft of confidence?

Jones was the standout of the backline again. Kudos to that bloke!

Weitering improved after half time and gave us a marking target across half back from the kick ins but his normally good disposal has been a bit off.
Lacks a bit of confidence IMO and can look a bit lost in traffic at times when playing on the really big units, has set high standards for himself so maybe we judge him too harshly as he is so mature for a young bloke..

Reply #64
Jones far more important to our line up than Murphy. On present form and output.

Stats be damned, Murphy was entirely ineffectual and indeed, costly thanks to some shocking turnovers....sad to say, Kerridge gave more today...

Fisher, um, love the endeavour but is some ways, a way off the pace. Again, Graham gave more and he's likely to be chopped come season's end....

Gibbs better in H2 and hopefully showed the Crows his worth to them.

Charlie C was very good aside from some nervous disposal once ball was in hand.

Daisy/ Another meh effort, hoping he will retire gracefully.

Bad luck FB, Gibbs will be playing out his contract with us  :) ... and he was BoG by a long way.

It's funny how folk watch the same game and see it completely differently.  I guess that's footy!

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #65
Gibbs was BOG easily.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #66
Thought Weitering was very ordinary today too. Is he injured or just bereft of confidence?

Jones was the standout of the backline again. Kudos to that bloke!

I thought Weitering was great today, one of his best games for the season.  Jones was very good but, understandably, makes some rookie mistakes. It's bad luck that we lost Rowe and Silvagni.  Either would provide a cool head when required.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #67
I thought Weitering was great today, one of his best games for the season.  Jones was very good but, understandably, makes some rookie mistakes. It's bad luck that we lost Rowe and Silvagni.  Either would provide a cool head when required.
Agree re: Weitering. Only one mistake I can remember today when he overcooked a pass which was spoiled and might have led to a goal. Always happy when the ball's in his hands - rarely wastes it.
Jones may very well end up our highest Brownlow vote getter. Amazing!
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #68
It was a great effort from a relatively inexperienced young side. They will have sustained efforts for periods & then lapses of concentration will let side back in. The desire is there, the execution is coming, but for some costly lapses we let side of the hook at times & until we gain that experience across the board this will continue. But future shaping bright

Reply #69
Bad luck FB, Gibbs will be playing out his contract with us  :) ... and he was BoG by a long way.

It's funny how folk watch the same game and see it completely differently.  I guess that's footy!

Re Gibbs staying, i've said my piece, I know what I know, I'll say no more.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #70
Well said Robblues. Spot on.
Today was a great learning experience. Our seniors stood up and enabled the youngsters to work through an important process of perseverance (despite a false start in q1).
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #71
Agree re: Weitering. Only one mistake I can remember today when he overcooked a pass which was spoiled and might have led to a goal. Always happy when the ball's in his hands - rarely wastes it.
Jones may very well end up our highest Brownlow vote getter. Amazing!

I'm looking at him winning it, 11 x 3=33 votes, easy...haha!

Reply #72
I'm looking at him winning it, 11 x 3=33 votes, easy...haha!

Now that would be a story.....
I repeat. Sign him NOW while he has so much regard for our club ;)
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #73
5 pages and no word on Jack Silvagni. Is he a bit of a protected species??  Didn't see the game at all but others seem to be potted before Jack. 

Reply #74
5 pages and no word on Jack Silvagni. Is he a bit of a protected species??  Didn't see the game at all but others seem to be potted before Jack.

I thought he was OK, particularly with the defensive pressure he applied in our forward line.  He took the game on and kicked a nice goal when many players of his age would have looked to give the ball off.  However, I reckon he needs to be more consistent and become more of an offensive threat.  We're not going to win many games when our smaller forwards get 5 or 6 touches.