Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 6: Carlton vs. Hawthorn (Read 47200 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 6: Carlton vs. Hawthorn

Reply #195
Just watched the game again. Staggering how we went into our shells in the third... just went negative once the Dawks upped the ante, yet flipped back to positive attacking footy late in the last! Why?

Second time 'round I was able to see a few things I missed watching it live. I hate to pot a champ, but some of the poor disposals and half efforts from Murphy in the third and especially final qtr were deeply disappointing, and costly (from a leader/experienced player these mistakes have a terrible impact on the group).

I wonder if Cripps had a touch of the flu?

LOB actually looked very dangerous as a forward.

Dawks definitely got the rub of the green at critical stages in the final qtr. Impey got right into the back of one of our blokes in the forward pocket, in front of the umpire... tumbleweeds.

Cattle wise, I'd much rather have our list than the Dawks.

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #196
McKay, Cripps, Kreuzer, hardly small players, all repeatedly hit in the head and it's play on!

Secondly, when will the AFL do something about these "body spoils", too many good players are having their season ended by landing awkwardly after a small players cannon into the back of talls in marking contests, always without getting anywhere near the ball.

Roughead, first a trip, then a blatant push, neither penalised right in front of the umpire both times. Both resulted in goals!

So many Dawks players block in marking contests it's ridiculous, they fly through the contest behind their marking forward without making even a basic attempt to contest the mark or touch the ball.

Why wasn't it a 50M penalty for that striking report, isn't it supposed to be automatic? You hear the umpire say he's reported for elbowing SPS to the head but no 50M gets paid!

Second time 'round I was able to see a few things I missed watching it live. I hate to pot a champ, but some of the poor disposals and half efforts from Murphy in the third and especially final qtr were deeply disappointing, and costly (from a leader/experienced player these mistakes have a terrible impact on the group).

I suspect he was concussed but played on, didn't you notice that head high hit, he staggered for a few moments after that then seemed to run it off. I immediately expected him to come off when it happened as he was clearly stunned.

The worry is what was wrong with SpecialK?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #197
It's not the coaching, it's not the game plan, it's not the match day tactics, it's not the structures, it's not the tagging.

When you're getting flogged by 10 goals every other week, then yes, by all means question the coach, structures etc. If not for a few skill errors, a few brain fades, a few stray kicks, we get the 4 points yesterday.

Can someone tell me how many touches O'Meara had at 1/2 time ?

Reply #198
Just watched the game again. Staggering how we went into our shells in the third... just went negative once the Dawks upped the ante, yet flipped back to positive attacking footy late in the last! Why?

Youth, and our senior players - surely you know them by now ?
A. Gap
A. Void
D. Aylight

It pains me to say it, but most of the good things coming from the field are Cripps-driven, and youth-driven. That nothingness at the top is very telling in games like yesterday. Exceptions being Krooz and perhaps Daisy.

Reply #199
I'm not sure Kreuzer was injured? He just looked physically spent, hasn't had much of a preparation.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #200

It pains me to say it, but most of the good things coming from the field are Cripps-driven, and youth-driven. That nothingness at the top is very telling in games like yesterday. Exceptions being Krooz and perhaps Daisy.

What about Murphy?
Surely he provides leadership and guidance

Reply #201
I'm not sure Kreuzer was injured? He just looked physically spent, hasn't had much of a preparation.

That's pretty much my thoughts as well. No mention of him in any of the injury reports I've seen post match.

Reply #202
It's not the coaching, it's not the game plan, it's not the match day tactics, it's not the structures, it's not the tagging.

Can someone tell me how many touches O'Meara had at 1/2 time ?

From memory, it was early to mid 20s.  Taylor made a comment about it

Reply #203
What about Murphy?
Surely he provides leadership and guidance

This sounds like a set up question, but anyway, I'll play along.

Last night he wasn't great. He does what he can, but when compared to the Hawks leaders and senior players, our equivalents just aren't there. You can't just erase flags, habitual winning etc., and say it's a level playing field.

Reply #204
Murph has spent pretty much his whole career in a losing culture, winning is not that familiar to him.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #205
From memory, it was early to mid 20s.  Taylor made a comment about it

Thank you. So he had half or more than half of his touches by half time. He had no tagger, and we were winning 8.4 to 3.3. Maybe the majority of AFL coaches are right and tagging is somewhat overrated ?

Tagging certainly has its place, and all coaches use it, but it's not a cure-all, and it does have a down side.

Reply #206
Murph has spent pretty much his whole career in a losing culture, winning is not that familiar to him.

Yes, but it's not just him, Krooz, Simmo, Daisy since he came over.

Reply #207
That's pretty much my thoughts as well. No mention of him in any of the injury reports I've seen post match.

I saw him trying to chase in the last quarter and it looked like his body was shutting down. Puts a big hole in the Kreuzer can ruck by himself theory.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #208
I saw him trying to chase in the last quarter and it looked like his body was shutting down. Puts a big hole in the Kreuzer can ruck by himself theory.

I agree. He's getting to the point where he should spend more time on the pine in-match, or else give him a breather in the F50.

It has to be said, one quarter of vintage Krooz is better than a full game of Cas, Lobbe and Philips.

Reply #209
Yes, but it's not just him, Krooz, Simmo, Daisy since he came over.
I love Murph, I think he was a great player who lead the club through a crap time and did it admirably - he has a lot of strengths and he is a great 'front' of club type of person.  Seeing him at family days, he outshines most of the others, with his enthusiasm and approachability - something I haven't found with many others at those types of days to be honest - yes they're all polite and friendly enough but you can tell 99.9% of them want to be elsewhere.  But Murph is not like that.

However, there has now been 2 or 3 times this season where there's a chance for him to win it for us, and he has failed again.  It is so disappointing - In one where he was kicked to and got the ball, he hesitated for a second and was tackled.  Is that an age thing? where the quickness of thought and doing starts to wane?  Or is it injury?  It just seemed so obvious to get the ball moving on.

That reminds me - I really hope Brendan teaches them to get rid of the fcking ball when we're in front of their goals and to get it into their heads - there is no time for what ifs, just do! Do not go across the face of goals, ever. never .Stop going backwards a mile to give them even more chance to score a goal (think it was someone way back to Jones and watdoyanow, they pressure, get the turnover, kick a goal.

Anyway, what a game. Still feel crook we lost!