Skip to main content
Topic: Round 1 - Blues v Tigers (21 March) Pre-Game (Read 31579 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Round 1 - Blues v Tigers (21 March)

Reply #30
A few people on here seem to rate Angus.  Highlights look good (thanks for posting that link).  Anyone seen him play and think he might make it?

As others have said he is a good kick but is another rebound defender type IMO and not a lock down defender, we cant afford too many defenders
who dont defend as their first priority and the times I have seen him play he gets too far away from his man. He almost looks like he would make a good tall winger and maybe he can
be moved upfield in the NB's for some further education.

Reply #31

As others have said he is a good kick but is another rebound defender type IMO and not a lock down defender, we cant afford too many defenders
who dont defend as their first priority and the times I have seen him play he gets too far away from his man. He almost looks like he would make a good tall winger and maybe he can
be moved upfield in the NB's for some further education.

I think he along with Williamson will be first choice replacements for Marchbank, however Schumacher will certainly be the kick in man if he plays and it is a slow restart. It will be interesting to see how clubs manage this under the new rules because time is going to be everything.

I can see that holding up the kicker in some way will become a priority for opposition forwards, the only way to do this without penalty appears to be start the niggle before they get around to picking up the footy.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #32
Coast is clear now to countdown to the big game.

I finished the last 2-3 games last year watching from Europe and I get to do that again. This time from Budapest!

Reply #33
Looks like Kreuzer is out and Philips in for round 1...

Reply #35
What a surprise... Not.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #36
You'd think no Lynch, no Grigg, no Caddy and perhaps no Castagna and Townsend...

(Richmond) Player
Injury
Estimated Return
 Josh Caddy    Ankle    3-7 weeks
 Jason Castagna    Ankle    1-2 weeks
 Ryan Garthwaite    Achilles    1-2 weeks
 Shaun Grigg    Knee    Indefinite
 Dylan Grimes    Corked glute    Test
 Tom Lynch    PCL    2-4 weeks
 Jacob Townsend    Thigh    1-2 weeks
 Nick Vlastuin    Jarred knee    Test

Updated: Tuesday, March 12

Early prognosis

There'll be a handful of Tigers racing the clock for round one selection, with Lynch and Castagna the first-choice players most under the pump. Grimes and Vlastuin picked up minor injuries in the second JLT match but should be right for round one. Grigg remains some way back, starting to build his training loads after being sidelined with a joint issue in his knee. - Sarah Black

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-13/the-full-afl-injury-list-postjlt-update-
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #37
Looks like Kreuzer is out and Philips in for round 1...

I gave up on Kreuzer years ago.

I was wrapped with his early form, and he looked like the next Dean Cox but last season is the epitome of why we need to move on from him ASAP.

Its a conundrum because he's a gun.

Unfortunately his best asset is probably the reason he keeps breaking down and he might need to reign it in to a more sustainable way of playing footy.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #38
I gave up on Kreuzer years ago.

I was wrapped with his early form, and he looked like the next Dean Cox but last season is the epitome of why we need to move on from him ASAP.

Its a conundrum because he's a gun.

Unfortunately his best asset is probably the reason he keeps breaking down and he might need to reign it in to a more sustainable way of playing footy.

Or do a Clark Keating and just play half a year

Reply #39
We now just have to enjoy Kreuz as and when he's available to us. Phillips has looked pretty good to me so far and provides a more than adequate back up except perhaps as far as ground work is concerned. Even Lobbe would be adequate similarly if we need to resort to him. I'm not therefore too concerned  - anyone would struggle in ruck contests against the likes of Gawn or Grundy. The main thing we lose then with Kreuzer is his around the ground/on the ground work. Others will have to step up to cover this aspect and I don't think that is too much to expect.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #40
Even with reduced availability SpecialK still should have been AA 2 or 3 times over the last decade!

The fact AA voting is often dominated by some blokes who wouldn't vote for a Carlton player to even save their mothers life is the main problem! I believe a similar accusation was put to Darcy and Ling a season or two back which was followed by a moment of uncomfortable silence then a quick and spirited defensive burial! I thought this was the second worst thing I've heard in recent years, just marginally less offensive than Watson Snr begging the media to identify a concerned mother so "The Club can put her mind at ease!" aka "The Mother Hunting" incident!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #41
Or do a Clark Keating and just play half a year

Or maybe our new found terrier will finally get Kreuz back on the park consistently?

The bloke's only (soon to be) 30 and has spent a fair amount of time on the sidelines...his body should be pretty fresh.....let's not forget Harry M. played until he was 35 and he wasn't half the athlete that Matty K is....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #42
Or maybe our new found terrier will finally get Kreuz back on the park consistently?

The bloke's only (soon to be) 30 and has spent a fair amount of time on the sidelines...his body should be pretty fresh.....let's not forget Harry M. played until he was 35 and he wasn't half the athlete that Matty K is....

Yes, and with the latest medical technology careers are being extended provided the mind is strong enough the body can be repaired. I suspect it might not be that far off before we see a 40 year old AFL player.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #43
Yes, and with the latest medical technology careers are being extended provided the mind is strong enough the body can be repaired. I suspect it might not be that far off before we see a 40 year old AFL player.

Indeed, look at tennis, basketball, American football....

35 is the new 25!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #44

Harry Madden played 330 odd games across his career.

Kreuzer is about 150 games short of that.

I hope the Terrier is good at pulling off miracles.  I think we should massage Kreuzer along for a couple of years getting him fit without running him into the ground, and unleash him for a finals series if we manage to make one.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson