Skip to main content
Topic: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ?? (Read 572980 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ??

Reply #2190
Pattinson in for Hazelwood...no brainer.  Unfortunately this doesn't mean that is what will happen. 

I have a fear that our historical misguided obsession with all-rounders (or basically, blokes who can't bat or bowl properly !) could rear it's ugly head again.

Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #2191
Pattinson in for Hazelwood...no brainer.  Unfortunately this doesn't mean that is what will happen. 

I have a fear that our historical misguided obsession with all-rounders (or basically, blokes who can't bat or bowl properly !) could rear it's ugly head again.

Yes, I fear the same.

However, there are rumors of Head making way for a 4th bowler, that could be the source of our fears, with Pattinson still replacing Hazelwood!

However, the dark-side might be Siddle in for Hazlewood, and if Marsh bowls this Weds ...... in for Head?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #2192

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/records/bowling/most_wickets_career.html?id=13213;type=tournament

Plenty should be ahead of Pattinson.

Time to blood a kid. Or give Neser a crack imo.

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #2193
In my opinion an in-form Pattinson is perhaps second only to Hazelwood, and they are an arm and a leg ahead of the rest because they perform in all conditions not just when things suit them.

Given the ACB Selectors haven't shown a propensity to select "horses for coarses", Hazelwood, Pattinson and Lyon are our best across all conditions on average.

On feature of Pattinson in the squad is that he is just as intense in the nets as he is on the pitch. This makes a huge difference to the squad, both from a batting and bowling perspective. The bowlers can no longer trundle around as walk up starts, and the batsmen have to work hard just to survive training!

Some commentary talks of the bowling machines and extended time in the nets, but it's irrelevant and incomparable to facing a real life bowler who is trying to knock your head off after you've played a nice drive!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #2194
In my opinion an in-form Pattinson is perhaps second only to Hazelwood, and they are an arm and a leg ahead of the rest because they perform in all conditions not just when things suit them.

Given the ACB Selectors haven't shown a propensity to select "horses for coarses", Hazelwood, Pattinson and Lyon are our best across all conditions on average.

On feature of Pattinson in the squad is that he is just as intense in the nets as he is on the pitch. This makes a huge difference to the squad, both from a batting and bowling perspective. The bowlers can no longer trundle around as walk up starts, and the batsmen have to work hard just to survive training!

Some commentary talks of the bowling machines and extended time in the nets, but it's irrelevant and incomparable to facing a real life bowler who is trying to knock your head off after you've played a nice drive!

Recent stats suggest otherwise.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #2195
I'd play Pattinson ahead of Neser...the latter is what NZ see every week at home, that medium pacer who moves it about but probably isnt going to have them hopping around like Pattinson can. Kiwis have shown they dont like it short and quick and I'd be giving them more of the short and quick around the ears especially on another road like wicket at the "G". Its not like we are going to serve up a greentop paradise for Boult and Southee to operate in, the edge we have is raw pace and tall quicks who can manufacture wickets by bowling short and giving the Kiwis what they never see at home.
Win the toss, bat first...make 450 plus and its game over again.....

Reply #2196
Recent stats suggest otherwise.

Just proves the invalidity of purely relying on stats!

If the MCG is hot and dead Williamson will score 300 against Starc and Nesser.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #2197
Siddle is in the squad  ::)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #2198
Siddle is in the squad  ::)

Bowler you would pick for a road who will bowl plenty of overs and keep running in, reckon the Kiwis wouldnt mind if he plays though given
he wont be terrorising them and is more of a defensive option.

Reply #2199
Just proves the invalidity of purely relying on stats!

If the MCG is hot and dead Williamson will score 300 against Starc and Nesser.

Too late presumably but this is who I would pick...

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/player/774223.html

Jhye Richardson. He is the future.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #2201
While in general I'm not a fan of Langer, I concede the team he has put together is a succcess even though some may argue it's off the back of one or two supreme efforts. He gets some credit.

But I do agree with Langer on one thing;

The battle between Wade and Wagner is what Test Cricket is supposed to be about, batsmen and bowlers pushed to their personal limit.

Put this in context of the fully helmeted and heavily padded Marsh clad is safety equipment tested to ballistic levels walking off the MCG in fear of his safety!

To me the problem seems to lay in the media and social commentary, those calling for Wade's head and those claiming the recent events are some return to a distant form of bodyline, those town criers are the real problem!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #2202
While in general I'm not a fan of Langer, I concede the team he has put together is a succcess even though some may argue it's off the back of one or two supreme efforts. He gets some credit.

But I do agree with Langer on one thing;

The battle between Wade and Wagner is what Test Cricket is supposed to be about, batsmen and bowlers pushed to their personal limit.

Put this in context of the fully helmeted and heavily padded Marsh clad is safety equipment tested to ballistic levels walking off the MCG in fear of his safety!

To me the problem seems to lay in the media and social commentary, those calling for Wade's head and those claiming the recent events are some return to a distant form of bodyline, those town criers are the real problem!

Some might argue Wagner is substituting a bodyline approach due to lack of ability and it makes the game a neanderthal one where we will have teams looking for 200cm plus giant fast bowlers
to engage in bouncer warfare like in the hey day of the Windies. Watching Wagner bowling 130k short stuff and Wade taking it on the body was comical rather than entertaining IMO.
Smith looked vulnerable like Wade so we are going to see an endless barrage of non descript short stuff due to the road like nature of all the wickets in Australia?
At least in English conditions its a battle of skill rather than who has the taller quicker bowlers....

Reply #2203
Some might argue Wagner is substituting a bodyline approach due to lack of ability and it makes the game a neanderthal one where we will have teams looking for 200cm plus giant fast bowlers
to engage in bouncer warfare like in the hey day of the Windies. Watching Wagner bowling 130k short stuff and Wade taking it on the body was comical rather than entertaining IMO.
Smith looked vulnerable like Wade so we are going to see an endless barrage of non descript short stuff due to the road like nature of all the wickets in Australia?
At least in English conditions its a battle of skill rather than who has the taller quicker bowlers....

I don't consider Curtley Ambrose, Joel Garner or Jeff Thompson less skilled than James Anderson, they just have different skills!

In contrast I could probably claim that recent events and rule changes limiting short pitched bowling, to make the game friendlier to participate in at lower levels, have left batsmen less skilled in dealing with it. What would Ian Chappell, Gordon Greenidge or Viv Richards have done to Wagner, Kim Hughes even and Kim was hardly a hard man of the game?

That doesn't make the Wade / Wagner tussle less interesting, it just makes it different from the norm and somewhat extending the range of Test Cricket beyond modern vanilla!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #2204
Yes, I fear the same.

However, there are rumors of Head making way for a 4th bowler, that could be the source of our fears, with Pattinson still replacing Hazelwood!

However, the dark-side might be Siddle in for Hazlewood, and if Marsh bowls this Weds ...... in for Head?

If Marsh was to play it may be in Sydney if we take in 2 spinners. Cameron Greene would've been ideal but he's stress fractured his back.