Skip to main content
Topic: Pre-Game Potential: AFL 2019 Rd 8: Carlton vs. Collingwood (Read 26956 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre-Game Potential: AFL 2019 Rd 8: Carlton vs. Collingwood

Reply #165
Dow needs to learn in the seniors not play with a bunch of bananas in the NB's who cant handle suburban footballers, he isnt in great form and I understand the thinking but our
twos are not the place to learn IMO. If Mick Barlow or someone capable was playing Full time and could take Dow under his wing and teach him then I would agree the NB's is fine but
with what I have seen Dow wouldnt learn anything.
Rather see him play on Pendlebury etc and learn from the best than get 20 kicks on Joe average in the twos and become the next Nick Graham....

I know what you mean but dow has been in terrible form this season.

He could use a few weeks in the vfl to build confidence and form.

Last week against north, the kids learned nothing aside from what not to do.

That might have been useful but, not in all cases.  Not all senior footy is good senior footy.  Form, confidence and practice with ball in hand at vfl level is not to be underestimated.   Not to mention doing it tougher in the vfl can build resilience.

I'd wager that the physicality is higher in the vfl.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #166
He's never going to be the type that could tackle with intent.  That left the moment his shoulder got smashed in his first season with us (because failed to protect him when he was a kid).

We are as culpable in that regard as he is.

Now we have bigger bodies let's make a statement and drop a bloke that leads our team most weeks for metres gained because he has one tackle on the score sheet instead of 3, even though his pressure acts are up there.

It's broken logic.

We dont have enough players staking a claim to do it.  We could drop 5 blokes who we are carrying most weeks before getting to Murphy in his poorest season and the only bloke who's a likely replacement is Kennedy and he isnt in sterling form.

I'd drop dow before Murphy at this stage.

You would.
But then the young guys keep learning off Murphy.

Some of the excuses you blokes make up are amazing.

So now the CFC wrecked him from game 1.

Poor Mark needs to retire.

Reply #167
CFC may not have wrecked him from day one but they definitely did him no favours.
Disgrace may be a bit harsh but some folks probably needed to have a good hard look at themselves.

I'm not going to defend Murphy's current output and effort but the support, protection and example he was given by the team when he first came into the competition was very, very poor.

Hopefully that was a lesson learned

Reply #168
You would.
But then the young guys keep learning off Murphy.

Some of the excuses you blokes make up are amazing.

So now the CFC wrecked him from game 1.

Poor Mark needs to retire.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-carlton-blues--marc-murphy

Averaging 2.1 tackles a game.

No one is saying he can't tackle, no one is saying he shouldn't tackle.

People are simply advocating playing him to his strengths.

Whilst his strengths aren't what they used to be he is still sitting in our top 10 performing players for the year, and we re playing kids who aren't ready yet.

If we delisted him last year, he'd get a game at pretty much every club.  Maybe as depth, or maybe in the exact sort of role we are advocating for him where he isnt at the coalface but irrespective he'd still be getting a game, and we would be lamenting his absence whilst we play Cameron polson, Jarrod garlett, lochie o brien, Alex fasolo, Darcy lang, and moaning about how inexperienced our side is.

Leadership isnt always about having an effect by doing.  Have we learned nothing from the absence of kade Simpson and what impact his absence has had on our defense???

I'd wager after today we will have conceded more points without him in the team for the last 10 quarters than we did when he was playing in the first 5 games. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #169
Was watching a Youtube yesterday re. our great comeback from 48 points down to beat Ess in 2007. Really was one to highlight Fev's great effort in that game, but it also showed a very youthful Murphy (among others) delivering beautiful lace out passes to Fev I50. Only highlights, but he did look like a very polished performer. I'm sure his years with us have done him no favours so we should always bear that in mind.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #170
Was watching a Youtube yesterday re. our great comeback from 48 points down to beat Ess in 2007. Really was one to highlight Fev's great effort in that game, but it also showed a very youthful Murphy (among others) delivering beautiful lace out passes to Fev I50. Only highlights, but he did look like a very polished performer. I'm sure his years with us have done him no favours so we should always bear that in mind.

Great minds Cookie...that video popped up on Youtube for me and I had a look too and its good therapy for us beaten down supporters.
Never was a real fan of Ryan Houlihan but he hit Fev up with some great passes. Murphy was prominent but seemed to have unusually black hair.

Reply #171
Elwood. How could you not like Hoops. He looked like he had all the time in the world and at times had silky skills like very few. Sure he had bad games but footage of his best games are simply outstanding.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #172
If we delisted him last year, he'd get a game at pretty much every club.

ROFL.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #173
Questions :
Why aren't the young guys learning off Kreuzer, Simpson, Curnow, Cripps ? Why must they only learn off Murphy ? Does he have a monopoly on teaching ? So these other blokes just stand around doing nothing whilst Murphy "destroys" another generation of youngsters ? Where are the previous generations that he's destroyed ? Can anyone give me one single name ?

Answer :
Because it's a fantasy. A fantasy argument constructed by people who see a negative outcome, see a player they don't like, and join the two using the most simplistic cause and effect you can imagine.

Reply #174
Elwood. How could you not like Hoops. He looked like he had all the time in the world and at times had silky skills like very few. Sure he had bad games but footage of his best games are simply outstanding.
Fev has named Hoops as his preferred player of all delivering the ball to him.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #175
His nickname on this site was "the blouse" from memory.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #176
https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-carlton-blues--marc-murph

If we delisted him last year, he'd get a game at pretty much every club.  Maybe as depth, or maybe in the exact sort of role we are advocating for him where he isnt at the coalface but irrespective he'd still be getting a game, and we would be lamenting his absence whilst we play Cameron polson, Jarrod garlett, lochie o brien, Alex fasolo, Darcy lang, and moaning about how inexperienced our side is

Or we could have spent that money and a bit more on two far more complete players, that work both ways and offer far greater support to the likes of Fisher, Dow, Walsh and SPS so we don’t end up with 4 more Mark Murphy’s in 3 years that have all the excuses under the sun about why they can’t tackle effectively.

So if Murphy as one of our leaders can’t provide such protection and support the cycle continues!!!

What other club and what other player has had these excuses?

Reply #177
All I know is if we lose we are on the bottom again. Crows will be pleased.

Reply #178
Questions :
Why aren't the young guys learning off Kreuzer, Simpson, Curnow, Cripps ? Why must they only learn off Murphy ? Does he have a monopoly on teaching ? So these other blokes just stand around doing nothing whilst Murphy "destroys" another generation of youngsters ? Where are the previous generations that he's destroyed ? Can anyone give me one single name ?

Answer :
Because it's a fantasy. A fantasy argument constructed by people who see a negative outcome, see a player they don't like, and join the two using the most simplistic cause and effect you can imagine.

Perhaps we should have a Game of Thrones thread for Murphy fantasies ????
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #179

Mants..he had great skills but didnt go that hard for the footy and like Prof said earned the name " Blouse" on this site, think the Sheik aka the evil Lord might have
christened him that name and became a frustating player that polarized a lot of supporters.