Skip to main content
Topic: Pre-Game Pressure: AFL 2019 Rd 8: Carlton vs GWS (Read 12507 times) previous topic - next topic

Pre-Game Pressure: AFL 2019 Rd 8: Carlton vs GWS

Next week we play the late match on Sunday afternoon, starting at 1640 in Sydney. Not going to be on TV again.
Not really happy about that, but ... :(
We have a chance of having Liam Jones back, which will help our defence. Mind you Levi Casboult had a very good game against Collingwood.
GWS are depending on Dawson Simpson at the moment for ruckman: he is beatable, which could make a huge difference for us.
If we can come back after having our hearts broken again, that would be a phenomenal effort. And the Umpiring simply cannot be as one-sided again. I really hope we officially complain. But that is another story.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: Pre-Game Pressure: AFL 2019 Rd 8: Carlton vs GWS

Reply #1
You want to fix the umpiring from this weeks game?

You expect that will happen against the AFLs pride and joy.....and on their turf?

Dreaming.

Could be interesting team selection this week.

Jones would probably come straight in. Casboult out? Too top heavy with him in??

Plowman potentially injured, who takes his spot? Are Newman and/or Simpson ready yet?

Reply #2
You want to fix the umpiring from this weeks game?

You expect that will happen against the AFLs pride and joy.....and on their turf?

Dreaming.

Could be interesting team selection this week.

Jones would probably come straight in. Casboult out? Too top heavy with him in??

Plowman potentially injured, who takes his spot? Are Newman and/or Simpson ready yet?
BB said in his presser that they are close, but he is not convinced they will be ready.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #3
By the sounds of how Levi played today it would be a shame to see him dropped to bring in Jones. I think Jones is better in defence but it would deflate Levi after a decent game in a new role. Team balance and match ups are most important. I wonder what BB has in mind for team selection. It would be great to get Doc in but he should not have to worry about games on the field this season.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #4
I think Newman is a chance, Simpson needs at least another week. No idea about Jones

Reply #5
We bring what we brought yesterday for 110 mins for 120 mins, we are every chance irrespective of the ins/out.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #6
We bring what we brought yesterday for 110 mins for 120 mins, we are every chance irrespective of the ins/out.

I give us a chance vs GWS for sure but playing them interstate probably is a tougher ask IMO than the Pies, I'd be more inclined to give those injured players another week and look to have them cherry
ripe for very winnable games in Stkilda and Essendon. Lose both those games and I think the crape will hit the fan big time..

Reply #7
I give us a chance vs GWS for sure but playing them interstate probably is a tougher ask IMO than the Pies, I'd be more inclined to give those injured players another week and look to have them cherry
ripe for very winnable games in Stkilda and Essendon. Lose both those games and I think the crape will hit the fan big time..
Get what you mean but it sort of sends the wrong message EB (whether it be internally or externally). Pick the best side every week and plan to beat everyone, if they are ready, they are up for selection. Anyone, anywhere, anytime, we want to beat GWS, StK, CheatsFC and any one else we play.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #8
Get what you mean but it sort of sends the wrong message EB (whether it be internally or externally). Pick the best side every week and plan to beat everyone, if they are ready, they are up for selection. Anyone, anywhere, anytime, we want to beat GWS, StK, CheatsFC and any one else we play.

Yep. Agree, totally.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #9
I suspect if Newman is even close to right he will have to come in and replace Plowman (injured)

Reply #10

GTC..I want to win every week too but if your good players are 50/50 only injury wise I think you have to look at the draw and be practical...just my theory.

Reply #11
I suspect if Newman is even close to right he will have to come in and replace Plowman (injured)

I think Plowman even if not injured might be the unlucky one to go for Jones and/or Newman if either is ready.  If both come in tough call - maybe Stocker to take a step back into the 2s to work on what he has learn't in the 1s?  Doesn't deserve to be dropped but someone would have to make way and it's hard to see who else goes.

On Levi in defence I am not sure there is a matchup really for him at the Giants - their tall forwards would be too quick for him IMO.

Reply #12
Watching them against the Hawks...."There's nothing there that we cant handle" :D ;)

Reply #13
Watching them against the Hawks...."There's nothing there that we cant handle" :D ;)

Hopefully Bolton is paying close attention. Double team Cameron (they go to him much too much), force them to the flanks by zoning in the corridor, and hope Mummy and Whitfield are out. I've never seen them look so unskilled.

Reply #14
Good to see we get to do round 8 again after going so close yesterday...lol.