Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 9: Carlton vs. GWS (Read 23248 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 9: Carlton vs. GWS

Reply #30
Leadership was non existent with Cripps unable to lead by example, cant blame Murphy either, he was too busy counting his ribs....

Heaven forbid we don't want to see anything happen  to Cripps, but it does throw another element into any evaluation of the process.

How much are we actually developing in the rest of the list if we are so reliant on him
He makes the players around him better , stand a little taller, and if he's curtailed we seem very, very ordinary.

Re: Bolton

Reply #31
Heaven forbid we don't want to see anything happen  to him but it does throw another element into any evaluation of the process.

How much are we actually developing in the rest of the list if we are so reliant on him
He makes the players around him better , stand a little taller, and if he's curtailed we seem very, very ordinary.

I thought we had a over reliance on Judd but the one we have now with Cripps is even worse.....ok we get up for the next game on the back of Cripps being BOG but does that really change anything?
We need Setterfield or Kennedy to be BOG, McGovern to kick 6 and SPS to get 35 possies......

Reply #32
Hahahaha. Still can't admit it.

What do you think, keep him and do the same thing? He's obviously not up to it.

We pick coaches very badly. 2 x young coaches that have never played, recipe for failure, 2 x dinosaurs so far past it. Failures! One that did well, what was his background? Star player, had his own team, assistant, then his first gig. 50+ percent winning record with a pretty average team. That 50+ record was after he last his first 9 games, 6-7 tanked of course.

Pagan was 55/56 years old when he started with us, exactly the same age as Fagan was when he started with the Lions. So apart from their absurdly rhyming surnames, there's a little fact for you to ponder. Agan with an F is the current critics darling, but agan with a P is a dinosaur ?

Malthouse has the Pies in a GF 12 months before he came to us.

Reply #33
Starting to feel a bit that way myself Baggers. I am becoming very intolerant of the AFL scene and the people involved in it - what am I getting out of it but constant disappointment? This year is proving to be death by a thousand cuts.
I turned it off after GWS's 6th goal, couldn't watch anymore. It was the North game all over again. Zero effort.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #34
I agree, it was painful to endure, but there are people on here who are saying exactly that.

How many of those on the park today have played more than 50 games ? 7, 8 ?

What more do you want. It's going no-where. We're totally back to last year's effort now.

4-41, 1-8. Anyone would've gone long ago. This is rubbish. Never take coach's that have never played at the highest level.

Reply #35
I agree, it was painful to endure, but there are people on here who are saying exactly that.

How many of those on the park today have played more than 50 games ? 7, 8 ?

I've just looked through many posts and I cannot find anyone saying sack BB. And so what if there were, they're entitled to their opinion like you are with yours.

Amount of games is irrelevant in regard to attitude and application. Remember BB saying, "We'll be defined by our pressure." Remember that? And that was about 2 years ago!
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #36
Very little positives to come out of the game, so i'll try my best to provide some.

1. The obvious one was Harry McKay. Big bloke who can take a grab, but good on the move too. Looks very comfortable running with ball in hand. Very good kick at goal, despite some yips he's experienced recently. Harry is back, but this version is 'the modern day dinosaur'!

2. How well GWS played together. How well they worked as a team. Why is this a positive? Because not so long ago, they were a rabble that were getting flogged week in week out and they had little hope apart from a talented list. Connect the dots and we see not all hope is lost. The difference is they have played 100+ games together and understand how eachother work. How many 'no look' handballs and kicks just happened to find a teammate today? Are they the luckiest team around or do they know how eachother play.

3. Cripps is probably leading the brownlow. Is definitely leading the coaches votes....and probably a whole lot of other votes as well. He was bound to have a bad one. Thankfully(?) it came against a side that we were no hope of winning against...at least not after the first quarter. Its best we don't 'waste' his good games.

4. We have played 31 players so far this year. Will be 32 when we bring in Kennedy next week. Should have been 34 with Pickett and Docherty unavailable for the year. We are finding out plenty about our list and plenty of kids are getting games in them. This will help long term. Players like Obrien and Stocker are not meant to be playing as much footy as they have been given the stage of their development, but it will help them long term in terms of what is required at AFL level. Short term pain, long term gain. The downside of going so deep into you list, and playing so many kids is what you see today. Too many indians, and not enough chiefs. A balance that will be restored when we get some more players back from injury.

So thats about all i got.  :-\

Reply #37
Bolton should be sacked. enough is enough.

Charlie Curnow, Lachie O'Brien and Paddy Dow to the 2s for extended periods....

Matt Kennedy in the 1s (disgraceful that LOB has been getting picked ahead of Matthew).
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #38
Very little positives to come out of the game, so i'll try my best to provide some.

1. The obvious one was Harry McKay. Big bloke who can take a grab, but good on the move too. Looks very comfortable running with ball in hand. Very good kick at goal, despite some yips he's experienced recently. Harry is back, but this version is 'the modern day dinosaur'!

2. How well GWS played together. How well they worked as a team. Why is this a positive? Because not so long ago, they were a rabble that were getting flogged week in week out and they had little hope apart from a talented list. Connect the dots and we see not all hope is lost. The difference is they have played 100+ games together and understand how eachother work. How many 'no look' handballs and kicks just happened to find a teammate today? Are they the luckiest team around or do they know how eachother play.

3. Cripps is probably leading the brownlow. Is definitely leading the coaches votes....and probably a whole lot of other votes as well. He was bound to have a bad one. Thankfully(?) it came against a side that we were no hope of winning against...at least not after the first quarter. Its best we don't 'waste' his good games.

4. We have played 31 players so far this year. Will be 32 when we bring in Kennedy next week. Should have been 34 with Pickett and Docherty unavailable for the year. We are finding out plenty about our list and plenty of kids are getting games in them. This will help long term. Players like Obrien and Stocker are not meant to be playing as much footy as they have been given the stage of their development, but it will help them long term in terms of what is required at AFL level. Short term pain, long term gain. The downside of going so deep into you list, and playing so many kids is what you see today. Too many indians, and not enough chiefs. A balance that will be restored when we get some more players back from injury.

So thats about all i got.  :-\

Cripps didnt have a bad one...DeBeor did a number on him and we had no plan to counteract that expected move apart from bringing Obrien in who would struggle to win a contest at Auskick level.
Kennedy should have played as both you and I discussed pre game.....our off field scouting, planning is horrendous,  Hawthorn made GWS look weak and soft because Clarkson is master tactician and
has a feel for the game. Our blokes looked up and saw Mumford and decided it was time to check out...think we had one tackle for about 25 mins into the 1st quarter and that was Cripps who had the tackle.
I get your positives ie Harry but that was lack off effort today, we pushed Hawthorn with Cripps leading the way but today he was let down on and off the field..

Reply #39
Cripps didnt have a bad one...DeBeor did a number on him

DeBoer did do a number on him, but he is not the first to try and stop cripps, and he won't be the last. Regardless, Cripps has been able to find a way to dominate the game no matter who is trying to stop him.

So yes, Cripps did have a bad one, but it was not through lack of trying, just results wise.

Reply #40
Bolton should be sacked. enough is enough.

Charlie Curnow, Lachie O'Brien and Paddy Dow to the 2s for extended periods....

Matt Kennedy in the 1s (disgraceful that LOB has been getting picked ahead of Matthew).

I watched LOB closely for a while today - he actually just stood there on one occasion and literally watched a GWS player with the ball just sweep past him without offering any form of a tackle. The guy literally just brushed past him and LOB just jogged away. I could not believe my eyes. This game should have been turned into a dogfight with us just scrapping to spoil their every move and disrupt their ball movement. We may have ended up with a much more respectable loss.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #41
There was one moment LOB tried to tackle a GWS lad (forget who) and physically couldn't get him off his feet. The lad just bent over and carried him on his back.

LOB simply doesn't have the size to compete effectively at AFL level and should not be put back until he does.

EDIT: That being said, LOB had more touches and more fantasy points than Cripps did today.....well so did 15 other players wearing a CFC monogram.

Reply #42
I watched Carlton players display 120 minutes  equal parts of lack of ability and lack of application.

I suppose I've seen a worse display some time over my many years of watching Carlton, but what makes this so dreadful is that we are so far into a rebuild.  My wife tells me that I'm a masochist for watching and I must agree with her.

I don't think I have ever felt so dejected.

Reply #43
Given I saw the first 10 or so mins of the game only, I just checked over the stats. One Carlton player, yes one, had more than 20 disposals (Newman 29). Thats a disgraceful performance. GWS had nearly 200 more disposals, I'm speechless.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #44
DeBoer did do a number on him, but he is not the first to try and stop cripps, and he won't be the last. Regardless, Cripps has been able to find a way to dominate the game no matter who is trying to stop him.

So yes, Cripps did have a bad one, but it was not through lack of trying, just results wise.

I guess my point is that Debeor has done a number on everyone he has played on this season and its not like we didnt know what to expect?, there is never a plan B,C etc....he is the premier tagger
in the comp and Cripps is going to have more trouble than usual so why not help the poor bugger out a bit more. We cannot keep expecting him to carry the team and beat every tagger thrown his way, you have to have other plans. What is the point of recruiting Kennedy and Setterfield?....or having a midfield coach?