Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 3 2023 Post Game Prognostications Giants vs Carlton (Read 7409 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 3 2023 Post Game Prognostications Giants vs Carlton

Reply #45
Still struggling to ascertain what Fishers role is.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #46
The dissent rule, like the deliberate out of bounds rule and many others, requires interpretation. It will never be black and white. I thought it was a poor interpretation of the rule, and I would be screaming blue murder if it was against us. If you listen to the end of the umpire / Whitfield conversation I referred to earlier, Whitfield says. "so that's worth a goal, is it ?", and shakes his head in disbelief.  If we're being consistent with the Coniglio decision, that's also dissent IMO, and another free kick should be awarded.

Reply #47
Still struggling to ascertain what Fishers role is.
He is lucky that there isn't much pressure from players in the twos and the skipper is his mate.
I wouldn't mind seeing Fogarty get a few games although I expect Martin to come back in next week for the injured Owies

Reply #48
Let’s not fall into the trap of conceding that Harry should have been penalised and that set the scene for a controversial free kick.

At no stage had Harry taken possession of the ball and it took only a split second for it to get away from him after it hit his left thigh as his left leg was striding forward. He may have tried to soccer it out of the air but Taylor then applied a tackle around the hips and continued to pull Harry down to the ground. In short, Taylor tackled Harry when he didn’t have the ball and prevented him from going after the ball which was close to him. Why wasn’t Harry given a free kick 15 metres out?

In fact, on the commentary Hudson said as the tackle was applied, “Curnow gives a little gift for Harry who is tackled maybe without the ball by Taylor”. As he was saying that, Garry Lyon was oohing and said, “How is that not a free kick!” although he may well have been reacting in the same way as Coniglio. We don’t know for sure as the dissent free kick then became the point of interest.

Yes Taylor didn’t realise Harry didn’t have the ball, but that has never mattered. Thousands of free kicks are paid every year against unlucky tacklers who incorrectly assumed the opponent had the ball. Moreover, the tackler is usually penalised when the tackler’s initial contact with a player in possession of the ball knocks it out of that player’s hands and the tackler continues the tackle assuming the ball was still in possession. That type of free kick really pisses me off. In any event, 9 times out of 10 the free kick is usually paid to Harry.

The argument that would be raised in favour of Taylor is that Harry is a magician who is capable of taking possession and then feeding the ball out for a kick all in the space of a nanosecond and Taylor was entitled to start the tackle during the ball drop. Even on this argument, Harry had no prior opportunity and failure to make contact with the boot should have resulted in a play on call.

In either case, Coniglio’s reaction that the umpire should have given Taylor a free kick was entirely wrong-headed. Part of the backlash against the dissent free-kick is the unstated assumption that Coniglio’s reaction was understandable as he’d witnessed an outrageous non-call and the umpire should have eaten a serving of humble pie by letting it go. Wrong on all counts. If anything, Harry should have been the one going off like a 2 bob watch. Kudos to Harry that he did the right thing.

Should any non-Carlton fan try to wind me up by saying we stole the win, my response will be that we were robbed of a goal to Harry immediately before and that just made up for it.

Reply #49
The dissent rule, like the deliberate out of bounds rule and many others, requires interpretation. It will never be black and white. I thought it was a poor interpretation of the rule, and I would be screaming blue murder if it was against us. If you listen to the end of the umpire / Whitfield conversation I referred to earlier, Whitfield says. "so that's worth a goal, is it ?", and shakes his head in disbelief.  If we're being consistent with the Coniglio decision, that's also dissent IMO, and another free kick should be awarded.

I guess not knowing the expletives that Coniglio apparently used, and their context, has us jumping at shadows and assumptions.

I also think Wingman MAV's point re Harry not getting a free is worth noting.

In the bigger picture... how many frees are missed or soft, depending on who you barrack for. It's just that this free to Mots/against Coniglio happening at a critical stage, which should be irrelevant.

Yes, we would be up-in-arms had that been against us, but if we later found out that Crippa swore at the ump and aggressively challenged his decision, then we'd turn our attention to our Skipper... and not be impressed.

Whether we like it or not, the dissent rule is there and will be used and players know it. Simple... keep your mouth shut, the ump aint gonna change his/her decision because you object. Self discipline. Ask what it was for (in a reasonable manner), but don't question it... waste of time and effort, and is an unnecessary risk.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #50
GTC..If that call had been made on one of our players we would all have gone into orbit and picketed AFL house.
We got real lucky imho and the footy gods were smiling on us for a change which was very handy given the state of the game.
It wasnt winning ugly it more winning lucky imo and we were embarrassing most of the game.
GWS are the softest, most poorly led soulless team in the comp and we would want to deliver better vs Nth or we will get knocked over.
Our blokes have and continue to give away the stupidest free kicks at times so it wouldn't surprise me. I hope Voss takes the time to point to out that incident to our blokes and reiterate how much discipline is needed for 120mins of every game and that undisciplined acts like questioning with dissent and/or swearing at an umpire could cost you a win. Rules are rules EB, for us and everyone else. Would I be incensed? 100% but at the act not the rule. Only place I'd picket is PP if it happened to us.Just a dumb act form a player who should know better.
Footy Gods? Luck? Dont believe in either sorry.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #51
Great to see Lewis Young taking a mark in the goalsquare with 30 seconds to go to kill the game. He’s making a bit of a habit of that this year and it must be great for his confidence.

Interesting piece of trivia: the last time Carlton had a double digit win was against GWS in Rd 19 last year.

Reply #52
When you win a game by 10 behinds, and a dodgy free kick is given at the death....it will always make headlines.

Let the headlines go. It doesn't matter to us.

We played a pretty poor game and we came away with another win. Move on to next week.

Good to see Jack prove the doubters wrong. I reckon he was our most important forward (who was even back in defence a few times) on the day.

Acres deserved a mention. Thought we were going to lose him early. Managed to tough it out. Still needs some work, but can't fault his attitude.

On the other side of that is LOB. I think we need to look elsewhere for a sub as its largely underwhelming.

Reply #53
Pretty ordinary game to watch on TV for sure but bank the points and move on....as the cliche goes, you have to win ugly sometimes and we did. Should've put the game out of reach in the third quarter.

Positives

Cripps & Docherty in the midfield.
Acres...dropped off slightly in the second half but still a great game to back up last week's effort. He will be one of the recruits of the season for sure.
Hollands and Cowan again......Cowan got caught once or twice but both look composed and their kicking is a feature.
Newman.....Greene has been in fantastic form so to hold him to 5 possessions, beat him in a few one on ones and get 20+ possessions himself was massive.
JSOS...huge early. Just think he's way more value to us when he doesn't have to ruck.
Motlop...possibly his best game? Great pressure early and hit the scoreboard again. Expect both WA teams to come after him in due course.

Negatives

Harry....shocker of a game.
Weitering...was it just me or did he seem to struggle to get to contests and got caught out of position quite a few times.
Injury to Owies....hopefully only a week?
O'Brien....enough. Doesn't appear to have any footy smarts. Makes lots of the wrong decisions and when he makes a right one, can't execute the kick. Time for a VFL stint....maybe a Kemp/Carroll option for sub?

I note in the VFL that Cincotta was one of the best. If neither Kennedy or Walsh get up for next week, could Cincotta come in as a 7th defender and let Docherty play permanent midfield role?

Reply #54
Didn't watch the game but saw the free kick and it was a shocker.

Did it cost the Giants the game? Perhaps but allowing us to have 10 more scoring shots hurt them more.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #55
Didn't watch the game but saw the free kick and it was a shocker....................

A bruise free game complete with bruise free umpiring decisions.

Reply #56
On the radio they claimed that Lob missed the bus from the hotel.
I would have expected him to have a big game, that he didn’t is worrying.
I think he needs game time and on form it won’t be in the seniors unless Acres shoulder doesn’t come up.

Let’s go BIG !

Reply #57
Happy to bank the 4 points but that’s where it stops.

Terrible display of what is the highest level of AFL in the country. All jokes aside seen far better skills in a local under 18 games than that display.

Stopping a team transitioning from defence is a major concern. Ball comes out way too easy when we kick a behind and rarely see us locking it in.

How odd is it when you have the previous 2 years Coleman medalists playing together and they consistently compete for the same ball have no clue still how to separate and play with each other rather then spoiling each other and then when they get a unless it on their preferred side under 30 metres out neither of them have any sort of a regular routine to go back and nail the goal. How do you win an award like that and then have no confidence at all to do what you are paid to do. 

Newman was vital in the win and thought Jack was important too. Cripps had leather poisoning but thought he wasn’t as damaging as he had been with half those touches. Still tried his ar5e off as usual and liked seeing him tear into the team in the 1/4 time huddle.

Look forward to when the game is over at half time or 3/4 time and we can just watch without fear of losing.  Genuine top tier teams crush weaker teams and we need to start getting that ruthless side into our game.  Giving teams a sniff that they can win late in games is nerve racking for the fans and means every week is a tough slog. Good to kill the game early so we can have a lighter end to the games we should win comfortably.

Maybe next week.

Reply #58
How odd is it when you have the previous 2 years Coleman medalists playing together and they consistently compete for the same ball have no clue still how to separate and play with each other rather then spoiling each other and then when they get a unless it on their preferred side under 30 metres out neither of them have any sort of a regular routine to go back and nail the goal. How do you win an award like that and then have no confidence at all to do what you are paid to do. 

THIS^^^^^^^^
2024... Moir of the same to come