Skip to main content
Topic: 2015- Rnd 1 Carlton vs Richmond- Pre Game (Read 50331 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2015 AFL Season - Rnd 1 Carlton vs Richmond (April 2nd MCG)

Reply #90
Probably should post it up :D
I hate to start the season with a post of how we are going to lose the game, but I look at the selection of the team and I wonder.

[1] Ruck:
Who is going to give Wood a break? Jones? I'd have more confidence if Jones had actually done so rucking over the preseason. Rowe? His rucking in the preseason was not impressive. I was hoping Rowe would play key defence and get his form and confidence back. Yeah, like that was ever going to happen.
Wood? Well, Wood is probably our best ruckman at the moment. But Warnock usually plays well against Maric.
Oh well, Nichevo.

[2] Clem Smith:
The lad has done a few nice cameos, but I thought that Byrne was further advanced. I guess the small forward position is open and he does have pace, but if he doesn't work out there isn't a lot of small forward options in the team. I would definitely be playing Yarran in defence.

[3] Ed Curnow:
Curnow's form has been close to diabolical, probably the worst he has shown in our colours. Do we have a job in mind? Or do we have the faith the all will be right on the night?

If Richmond had more talls I'd be more worried. Last year even Vickery kicked a few goals against us. Griffiths is their preferred choice this time and their 2nd ruck option. If they had selected another ruckman I'd have been more worried, but it is still a point source error. If anything happens to Wood we really have nothing in the ruck. I can merely hope they truly know a lot more about the caper than I do.

My best to our 3 new players: I have been calling for blooding some newbies in round #1 for ages. I'm not so sure we named the 3 I would prefer, but.....

I will have to shout enough to get us over the line.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #91
You have to admit, there was no way he wasn't playing. :))

Anyway, let's hope Cas is a late change and both he and Jones kick 4 in a 5 goals win. That would be really sweet.

If he is a late change, i'd prefer they took Bell out of the side as he does more harm than good a lot of the time. He is one of Micks favourites though so we have to get used to it.

If that change did occur though, then that is basically my best 22 with some minor differences due to available personnel...
Docherty takes Walkers spot
Wood takes Kreuzers spot
Smith instead of Tutt.....which was a coin toss anyway.

How we have lined up though, i reckon we have a plan in place.
Having Henderson, Everitt and Jones all up forward is going to be a nightmare for their key backs. I doubt they have 3 backmen who can keep up with those 3 on the ground and in the air. At least with Casboult, they just have to worry about the air part as he's relatively easy to track with across the turf.

It could be a masterstroke if it works.

Reply #92
So it's Levi who has made way for Jones? Not happy Jan. Bloke has a ripping preseason, gets himself fitter than he's ever been and this is his reward? Unless he's injured? Happy to see Crippa there.

Very pleased actually, it may be the huge rocket that Casboult needs for him to take that important step in his career. I'm not convinced on Jones either but at least we now have two of them competing for the one spot in the team.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #93
[2] Clem Smith:
The lad has done a few nice cameos, but I thought that Byrne was further advanced. I guess the small forward position is open and he does have pace, but if he doesn't work out there isn't a lot of small forward options in the team. I would definitely be playing Yarran in defence.

I have a sneaking suspicion that young Clem Smith may end up being the surprise packet of the season for us. Whilst I am firmly on the Whiley bandwagon, I also going to watch Smithy with some genuine enthusiasm & excitement.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #94
I like casboult but his kicking is an absolute liability..
missed kicks deflates the whole team and undoes all the good work up to that point...

if he doesn't improve kicking....cya

Reply #95
How we have lined up though, i reckon we have a plan in place.
Having Henderson, Everitt and Jones all up forward is going to be a nightmare for their key backs. I doubt they have 3 backmen who can keep up with those 3 on the ground and in the air. At least with Casboult, they just have to worry about the air part as he's relatively easy to track with across the turf.

I haven't seen this preseason so I don't know how he's gone but Jones seemed to have issues when the ball hit the deck a lot of the time. Everitt has about as much appetite for the tough stuff once the ball hits the ground as I do for liver and I reckon Hendo is more of a smarts player. I actually like what Cas brings when the ball hits the turf and he looked in ripping shape.

That ruck looks a bit of a scary prospect. We'll need our mids right on song.

Reply #96
I haven't seen this preseason so I don't know how he's gone but Jones seemed to have issues when the ball hit the deck a lot of the time. Everitt has about as much appetite for the tough stuff once the ball hits the ground as I do for liver and I reckon Hendo is more of a smarts player. I actually like what Cas brings when the ball hits the turf and he looked in ripping shape.

When the ball hits the deck, they are not the ones you want going after it, but neither would tigers want their key backs.

However, they cover the ground very well. They will be able to get themselves open easier and run rings around most of their opponents.

Just on what Cas brings to the table...its his marking. You've seen plenty of clunks by him and you know what to expect. Since you didn't see the pre-season, you probably didn't see that Jones took a couple of clunkers too. Everitt did also. In the air, they were the equal of casboult.

So again, i'd prefer Cas in the side, but am not unhappy that he is not.....at this stage at least.

Reply #97
Didn't see enough of the PS games to really comment but I am stunned Levi isn't playing. He's the best mark in the comp, there isn't a player on list that comes close. I know he cant kick but...I reckon we are screwed just on this omission alone. Hope Im wrong again.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #98
Gibbs is listed as a 'test' on our injury list. Gibbs out for Levi?
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #99
I thought Buckley, Boakhorst, Casboult and Tutt were all pretty unlucky to miss.

Having said that they didn't really demand a position through the preseason games.

Having said that - the same could be said for quite a few others.

Would have liked one preseason game where Murphy, Gibbs, Judd and Wood were all playing on the same team.

Reply #100
I like casboult but his kicking is an absolute liability..
missed kicks deflates the whole team and undoes all the good work up to that point...

if he doesn't improve kicking....cya

Agree 100%.   His kicking is massive liability

Reply #101
I thought Buckley, Boakhorst, Casboult and Tutt were all pretty unlucky to miss.

Having said that they didn't really demand a position through the preseason games.

Having said that - the same could be said for quite a few others.

Would have liked one preseason game where Murphy, Gibbs, Judd and Wood were all playing on the same team.

I guess Mick is picking the team on form and you have to respect that view........the Boult has been very average preseason  and Boekhorst has been found out a bit by the
size of the opposition and looks like he needs some tough VFL action for  2-4 weeks to induct him into how much quicker and tougher it is in the AFL when you come from the WAFL.

Reply #102
Interestingly the Tiggers have left out Vickery as we appear to have done with Casboult. Maybe both teams looking for pace to win the game?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #103
Interestingly the Tiggers have left out Vickery as we appear to have done with Casboult. Maybe both teams looking for pace to win the game?

Yep, good point Cookie..night game and the weather is also turning worse so maybe both teams dont want to be too top heavy....

Reply #104

Jones is 198cm right?

Hardly short? 1cm less than the Cas and a far better natural athlete from all accounts I've seen.....
Finals, then 4 in a row!