Skip to main content
Topic: Best 22 so far (Read 25430 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Best 22 so far

Reply #30
Don't know exactly where on the field but I think Stocker will play more often than not in 2020.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #31
Assuming a fully fit side, I’d go with a more transformative side with difficult decisions made on Simpson, Jones, eCurnow, Plowman and Newman, all of which turn the ball over. Cunningham is a gun if fit.

Marchbank Weitering Stocker
Williamson Casboult Docherty
Walsh Cripps Newnes
Betts Curnow McGovern
Martin McKay Cunningham

Kreuzer Setterfield Murphy

SPS, Dow , Fisher, DeKoning

Depth
Silvagni, OBrien, Jones, ECurnow, Simpson, Plowman, Newman, Pittonet

Reply #32
Assuming a fully fit side, I’d go with a more transformative side with difficult decisions made on Simpson, Jones, eCurnow, Plowman and Newman, all of which turn the ball over. Cunningham is a gun if fit.

Marchbank Weitering Stocker
Williamson Casboult Docherty
Walsh Cripps Newnes
Betts Curnow McGovern
Martin McKay Cunningham

SPS, Dow , Fisher, DeKoning

Depth
Silvagni, OBrien, Jones, ECurnow, Simpson, Plowman, Newman, Pittonet

This type of thinking (kids doing more heavy lifting, oldies in support / depth roles), is what got Bolton sacked.

I love it.

Reply #33
Nope...
Time to play the best side for the opposition each week.
No need 'getting games into kids'.
You earn a spot.
We play to win and let the youngsters develop naturally, we now have that luxury,....eventually they'll push the older players out.

Reply #34
Nope...
We play to win and let the youngsters develop naturally, we now have that luxury,....eventually they'll push the older players out.

All the noises coming out of the club indicate this. I suspect they will play it by ear - if we win games early on, they may introduce kids in a drip feed, minimal scenario. If we are struggling early, then maybe not. One thing you can say with near certainty is that en masse development of kids won't be happening any time soon.

Reply #35
One of the features of really good sides that seem to maintain their ladder position for years on end is this ability to let the kids develop at a lower level with the right amount of exposure when they're ready.

How much easier for the young players to develop with a talented group of mature players around them.
We threw our youngsters like Gibbs and Murphys to the wolves when they were young without support or protection.

We now have a group of older/mid aged players that can give a good account of themselves and are worthy of a place but will also help the development of the younger players.

Reply #36
Nope...
You earn a spot.

Couldn't agree more. Best and most experienced side each week. The newbies are going to have to be burning it up in the Magoos to get a gig.

The only near automatic selections I can think of, assuming in form and body is good are: Weitering, Cripps Walsh, McGovern, Betts, Martin, McKay, Kreuzer, Setterfield, Murphy, SPS, Jones, E & C Curnow, Simpson, Plowman, Casboult, Gibbons, Docherty and Newman.

Hoping to see vast improvement/consistency (and injury free form) from: Cuningham, Fisher, Stocker, Williamson, Marchbank, SOJ, Dow, Newnes, Kennedy, Lang, DeKoning, O'Brien and Macreadie. (To early to tell with newbies and the other SOJ, Finbar). A miracle from Polson would be needed.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #37
This type of thinking (kids doing more heavy lifting, oldies in support / depth roles), is what got Bolton sacked.

I love it.

Maybe not quite the team i'd pick but not that many kids there now in that side . Alot now have been here quite a few years.

Bolton got sacked because he was no good.

Reply #38

I love it.

If you’re in your third year, you’re no longer a kid and if that team doesn’t cut the mustard we’re looking at our sixth 5 year rebuild in a row.

If we’re in any way relying on Gibbons, E Curnow and Simpson we’ll be bottom eight. It’s all or nothing folks. We need to move on and it’s our time.

If he’s fit, Cunningham will be our best small forward

Reply #39
If you’re in your third year, you’re no longer a kid and if that team doesn’t cut the mustard we’re looking at our sixth 5 year rebuild in a row.

If we’re in any way relying on Gibbons, E Curnow and Simpson we’ll be bottom eight. It’s all or nothing folks. We need to move on and it’s our time.

Kids is a catch all term to describe players that haven't yet fully developed, whether that be age, games played, body shape / size, mental attributes etc.

Several weeks ago I spent 3 or 4 hours listening to a bunch of podcasts and videos, mainly from Champion Data. I took copious notes at the time, and if I get a chance I'll post those on here. I was mainly interested in their thoughts on 2019 generally and of course our season. Daniel Hoyne from Champion Data made it clear that there was no change in the way we played between Bolton and Teague. What changed was personnel, not game plan, and specifically, Murphy and Ed in the guts. This has a domino effect and leads to what Hoyne calls a forward half game, which is considered to be a pillar of what he calls "sustainable footy." At any rate, the point I'm making is that I don't think any of those old blokes, especially Murphy and Ed, will be displaced unless whoever displaces them matches or betters their output.

Reply #40
Marchbank Weitering Plowman
Simpson Jones Docherty
Walsh Cripps Newnes
Martin Curnow McGovern
Betts McKay Cunningham

SPS, Silvagni, Newman, Casboult

Depth
Fisher, Kennedy, Williamson, OBrien, ECurnow, Pittonet, Dow, DeKoning, Stocker

Realistically Casboult starts round 1 at CHF with Charlie injured and probably Fisher added to the bench. Silvagni can play midfield or forward so he will play.

That is probably the best half back line in the league when fit and the fullback line is top rate as well. The forward line is good, the depth is good but the midfield still has too big of a gap between Cripps and the rest.

I'd love to see Stocker given a good crack at playing on the ball but unless he dominates preseason games that won't happen.

Reply #41

Yeah if those so called "kids" haven't won a brownlow each by 21 we should sack them immediately.
Gibbons is a running machine - I think we'd miss him a lot if he wasn't in the team.

Reply #42
Here is my best 22, and my second best 22

BDochertyWeiteringPlowman
B2PolsonGoddardMacreadie
HBNewmanJonesSimpson
HB2StockerMarchbankWilliamson
CNewnesCrippsMartin
C2PhilpsKennedyObrien
HFMurphyCharlieCuningham
HF2KempCasboultHoney
FFBettsMcKayMcGovern
FF2LangDe KoningOwies
RKreuzerWalshEd
R2PittonetDowGibbons
INTSPSJackFisherSetterfield
INT2RamsayBenCottrellOdwyerPhillips

Reply #44
There's an article in the Age where Martin is quite adamant that he'll be playing forward next year.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/blues-recruit-martin-firm-on-expectations-20191129-p53fga.html

He said it himself in today;s interview.

But he'll play mid too.

Have you see - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYmJ4Nj5Znk&fbclid=IwAR2awxylDbcUTVTntJ18a9pIvbDvQmwnNZ10RDWXRafZlH0f-5o6P2C7nlk
Finals, then 4 in a row!