CARLTON

B: Lachie Plowman, Jacob Weitering, Kade Simpson

HB: Sam Docherty, Liam Jones, Nic Newman

C: Will Setterfield, Patrick Cripps, Sam Walsh

HF: Charlie Curnow, Levi Casboult, Sam Petrevski-Seton

F: Jack Silvagni, Harry McKay, Eddie Betts

FOLL: Matthew Kreuzer, Marc Murphy, Ed Curnow

I/C: Zac Fisher, Mitch McGovern, Michael Gibbons, Caleb Marchbank

A few names NOT featured......Kennedy, Dow, O’Brien, Stocker.

Re: Best 22 so far

Reply #1
Big Levi has become the true utility - listed at CHF AND in the "NOT featured' list  ;)

Will be a good thing if the likes of Dow and LOB have to earn a game through repeated, quality performances in the 2s.

Both were gifted way too many games in 2019.

Think Stocker will surprise next year and become a regular and obviously (imo) Martin will be a regular assuming he gets to Princes Park.

Tough for spots, that's for sure.

Willo, if fit, sits where?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #2
Here's my take;

CARLTON

B: Lachie Plowman, Jacob Weitering, Nic Newman

HB: Sam Docherty, Liam Jones, Sam Petrevski-Seton

C: Paddy Dow, Ed Curnow, Charlie Curnow

HF: Zac Fisher, Mitch McGovern, Liam Stocker

F: Michael Gibbons, Harry McKay, Eddie Betts

FOLL: Matthew Kreuzer, Patrick Cripps, Sam Walsh

I/C: Levi Casboult, Jack Silvagni, Marc Murphy, Lachie O'Brien[/quote]

Firstly, no disrespect to Townsendcalling, but there is no way in hell we'll move SPS off the HBF after his last season. If he'd played there the full season he would probably be in the AA squad!

There should be weeks when we cannot run all the talls, and there will be weeks when a Kennedy type comes in for a McKay or McGovern to be reshuffled. For example when we need an extra tall defender I won't be surprised to see McGovern or Casboult getting a run down back with Doc or Newman moving up to a wing. JSoS will be under some pressure, because without a D50 role I can see a type like Marchbank will be in the running for a F50 spot competing with JSoS and Setterfield for probably one available position.

I'm probably disrespecting Setterfield and Kennedy here, I think it's a coin toss between those two and JSoS who gets a starting run!

If he shows form it won't be long before Pittonet is in that team. Having him play and distribute himself around the ground with McGovern and McKay spreads and increases the reach of the angry zone!

We best hope for lots of games under the roof because we need to be marking the football with that list or we'll be run off our feet!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #3
Neither Dow nor LOB warrant a spot unless form improves markedly.

Would have Stocker ahead of both come 2020 presently.

No Marchbank? It's a tough one...Plow certainly deserves a spot.

Agree SPS down back worked very well.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #4
It would look a lot better with Papley.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #5
Neither Dow nor LOB warrant a spot unless form improves markedly.

I think people are pretty biased about O'Brien, or willfully ignorant and impatient.

To support my argument, here is a compare of two players at the same stage of their career.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #6
Simpson, Docherty and SPS wouldnt give you much defense, they all chase the footy and dont really mind a man. I think SPS has to play further
up the ground and develop as a midfielder. Stocker is more my idea of a smaller defender and he should be getting games.

Dow is a fav of mine but like LOB his form hasnt warranted senior games IMHO and they both need to develop in the NB's

If we get Martin then I think Gibbons will more than likely be relegated to the NB's too, Fisher who is another fav probably needs
NB's time too but I think he has shown he can play well at the higher level and will be given more opportunities.

McGovern also needs to show more but given his fitness issues will grt s bit more time to show something...

Jack Silvagni has earned his spot in the best 22..

Reply #7
Simpson, Docherty and SPS wouldnt give you much defense, they all chase the footy and dont really mind a man. I think SPS has to play further
up the ground and develop as a midfielder. Stocker is more my idea of a smaller defender and he should be getting games.

I can't fit Simmo in my list, I love him as a legend of the club but he'd have been cut by now if he was a Hawthorn player, we are sucked in by sentimentality.

I've Stocker in my squad as I see him as a swingman, and if he's on deck on the HBF as a left footer there is just no spot for Simmo.

Jack Silvagni has earned his spot in the best 22..

Don't shoot me for asking the question, but is that based on name or output?

I'm a Jack booster, I love his spirit and heart, he bleeds navy blue, he's got his limitations, but for me he starts on the bench.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #8
I think people are pretty biased about O'Brien, or willfully ignorant and impatient.

To support my argument, here is a compare of two players at the same stage of their career.

Its not about bias its about reality, the list is getting better and we have more options. If you are going to play like he does then you need to  be getting it 30 plus times like Gaff and using the ball at a high DE% . His job is the easiest on the park, make yourself available for the easy receive then use it well. With new players like Martin coming in and maybe something decent at pick 9 then its going to be very hard for LOB and Dow to command places in the best 22....even a player like Newnes who is a very good kick is going to put pressure on LOB for his place if we pick him up.

Reply #9
I can't fit Simmo in my list, I love him as a legend of the club but he'd have been cut by now if he was a Hawthorn player, we are sucked in by sentimentality.

I've Stocker in my squad as I see him as a swingman, and if he's on deck on the HBF as a left footer there is just no spot for Simmo.

Don't shoot me for asking the question, but is that based on name or output?

I'm a Jack booster, I love his spirit and heart, he bleeds navy blue, he's got his limitations, but for me he starts on the bench.

Jack will probably start on the bench and no my praise for Jack is based on output rather than his last name, I have my issues with SOS at times but his son has earned
his senior games and continued to improve. IMO he should start ahead of McGovern but the 800K man will get first crack given his fitness should be better and he has pressure on him
to deliver given his poor 2018.
Agree on Simpson but he will be a starter, dont see him playing NB's footy, if that looks a possibility then he will retire IMO.

Reply #10
Jack will probably start on the bench and no my praise for Jack is based on output rather than his last name, I have my issues with SOS at times but his son has earned
his senior games and continued to improve. IMO he should start ahead of McGovern but the 800K man will get first crack given his fitness should be better and he has pressure on him
to deliver given his poor 2018.
Agree on Simpson but he will be a starter, dont see him playing NB's footy, if that looks a possibility then he will retire IMO.

So Simmo will be the next Grigg?

In fairness EB1, I don't think Jack and Gov compete for the same spot, I think expecting that of Jack is putting to the sword.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #11
The concept of the best 22 is a bit of nonsense.  There are always injuries, loss of form and team balance to consider when picking the best 22 each week. It is really the best 30 that is important and how deep is your squad and whether you can cover injuries to players like Docherty and Rance. I do however like the fact that people are struggling to fit in the likes of Casboult, Plowman, Simpson, Dow, O'Brien, Kennedy, Silvagni, Fisher, Cunningham, Setterfield etc into our best 22.

Reply #12
Firstly, no disrespect to Townsendcalling, but there is no way in hell we'll move SPS off the HBF after his last season.

No disrespect taken LP, it's not my side, it's one that has been put together by the Fox Footy gurus!!

Reply #13
No disrespect taken LP, it's not my side, it's one that has been put together by the Fox Footy gurus!!

There's the problem, Jason Dunstall, guaranteed to recommend the exact wrong thing for your club!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #14
So Simmo will be the next Grigg?

In fairness EB1, I don't think Jack and Gov compete for the same spot, I think expecting that of Jack is putting to the sword.

Yep on Simmo...reckon he will call it a day if form and injuries are making his selection problematic...I dont have an issue
with him going again in 2020 but he needs to be delivering and not being carried through the year.
Ditto for Eddie,he might be bringing in members but if he aint getting enough ball and just saluting a joe the goose goal to the crowd every second week then
you have apply the same logic.
Its a football club not happy acres retirement village and you get picked on performance..

Jack will bleed for the club and McGovern is a hired gun, always a place for a good hired gun and McGovern deserves some slack cut his way after breaking his back and
playing unfit but he needs to deliver to a higher standard than Jack IMO and I think Jack can play his role if he has to all be bit in a different way.