Skip to main content
Topic: Best 22 so far (Read 26201 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Best 22 so far

Reply #60
I think 'the bench' is no longer seen as separate to the starting 18.
It's not necessarily the case that your bench players are 'fringe' players.
They may be amongst your best.
In most cases they're just there as part of the midfield rotations.

Lods, that much is obvious.  Has been since Pontious was a pilot :)  I have watched the game a little bit.  But Casboult not in the best 22?  IMO, forget it UNLESS a run of poor form warrants it ... and with him it doesn't

Reply #61
I would like to see one of our key aims for next year is to NOT play any of our new youngsters in the firsts.  If this happens, it would mean that we have had very few key injuries, our classes of ‘16, ‘17 and ‘18 have all taken a large next step and our kids are given time to physically develop and build up some genuine form, especially Kemp. Let him recover from his knee, pick up the pace in the NBs and have a full preseason prior to the 2021 season (watch Will Setterfield this year!) Time for our kids to develop like other teams develop their kids. Slow and steady wins the race.

Reply #62
I would like to see one of our key aims for next year is to NOT play any of our new youngsters in the firsts.  If this happens, it would mean that we have had very few key injuries, our classes of ‘16, ‘17 and ‘18 have all taken a large next step and our kids are given time to physically develop and build up some genuine form, especially Kemp. Let him recover from his knee, pick up the pace in the NBs and have a full preseason prior to the 2021 season (watch Will Setterfield this year!) Time for our kids to develop like other teams develop their kids. Slow and steady wins the race.

If slow and steady wins the race, we should have the next 10 flags in the bag. Notwithstanding the staggering body count of players, coaches etc. that have come and gone, our buildup has been positively glacial.

I agree wholeheartedly though. I'd like to see the "Hawthorn apprenticeship" model at Carlton.

Reply #63
Lods, that much is obvious.  Has been since Pontious was a pilot :)  I have watched the game a little bit.  But Casboult not in the best 22?  IMO, forget it UNLESS a run of poor form warrants it ... and with him it doesn't

Obviously I don't see Casboult as best 22, I like all the players I have chosen down the spine ahead of him, however, if any of our spine either lose form or are not fit to play, Casboult IMO would be 1st called apon to fill the spot. He is most certainly an invaluable sqad member...... IMO anyway.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #64
Obviously I don't see Casboult as best 22, I like all the players I have chosen down the spine ahead of him, however, if any of our spine either lose form or are not fit to play, Casboult IMO would be 1st called apon to fill the spot. He is most certainly an invaluable sqad member...... IMO anyway.

Amers.  :)  No issue whatsoever.  Not everyone has to share the same opinion.  I see his height as a major advantage.  He's playing his best football atm.  That's all

Reply #65
big Cas is just one of those blokes who was a late pick and improved his 5% each season.  not many players are lucky enough to have the opportunity and lack of competition for spots to do that for 10 years.  now after all those gradual improvements he's a pretty bloody good player.  handy backup ruck, capable fwd, and surprise surprise a very good kpd.  he plays like a senior player now. i love the big fella and am glad we kept him despite all those times we almost didn't.  he's got his flaws, but over time he's slowly ironing out his wrinkles.

Reply #66
Ins and Outs for round 1 from our round 23 team 2019... maybe

OUT:

Deluca, Josh
Dow, Paddy
Fisher, Zac
Kennedy, Matthew
OBrien, Lochie
Plowman, Lachie
Thomas, Dale

IN:

Caleb MARCHBANK
Liam JONES
Sam DOCHERTY
Jack NEWNES
Jack MARTIN
Charlie CURNOW
Eddie BETTS

If everyone were available that would be a far stronger team. A lot stronger back and forward line.

A lot less relying on young midfielders to play out of position as forwards or back flanks.

Reply #67
Ins and Outs for round 1 from our round 23 team 2019... maybe

OUT:

Deluca, Josh
Dow, Paddy
Fisher, Zac
Kennedy, Matthew
OBrien, Lochie
Plowman, Lachie
Thomas, Dale

IN:

Caleb MARCHBANK
Liam JONES
Sam DOCHERTY
Jack NEWNES
Jack MARTIN
Charlie CURNOW
Eddie BETTS

If everyone were available that would be a far stronger team. A lot stronger back and forward line.

A lot less relying on young midfielders to play out of position as forwards or back flanks.

In a perfect world, where everyone is fit and available, Tom Williamson plays
Tough, fast and can kick the footy

Reply #68
I think Fisher and Plowman will both play round 1, the latter did well in the best and fairest from memory and I just think Fisher will be persisted with and being a mate of Cripps
might help his cause too.

Reply #69
In a perfect world, where everyone is fit and available, Tom Williamson plays
Tough, fast and can kick the footy

Who goes out? Docherty / Simpson / Newman?

Reply #70
I think Fisher and Plowman will both play round 1, the latter did well in the best and fairest from memory and I just think Fisher will be persisted with and being a mate of Cripps
might help his cause too.

I couldn't fit them in.

B   Caleb MARCHBANK   Liam JONES   Nic NEWMAN

HB   Kade SIMPSON   Jacob WEITERING   Sam DOCHERTY

C   Jack NEWNES   Patrick CRIPPS   Sam WALSH

HF   David CUNINGHAM   Harry MCKAY   Jack MARTIN

F   Mitch MCGOVERN   Charlie CURNOW   Eddie BETTS

R   Matthew KREUZER   Will SETTERFIELD   Marc MURPHY

IC   Jack SILVAGNI   Michael GIBBONS   Sam PETREVSKI-SETON
   Levi CASBOULT      

Reply #71
I couldn't fit them in.

B   Caleb MARCHBANK   Liam JONES   Nic NEWMAN

HB   Kade SIMPSON   Jacob WEITERING   Sam DOCHERTY

C   Jack NEWNES   Patrick CRIPPS   Sam WALSH

HF   David CUNINGHAM   Harry MCKAY   Jack MARTIN

F   Mitch MCGOVERN   Charlie CURNOW   Eddie BETTS

R   Matthew KREUZER   Will SETTERFIELD   Marc MURPHY

IC   Jack SILVAGNI   Michael GIBBONS   Sam PETREVSKI-SETON
   Levi CASBOULT

I think Fisher is ahead of Cuningham and Newnes in the pecking order, Plowman I think would get the nod ahead of Levi or even Jack.
Dont get me wrong I like your team as its well balanced and players like Levi and Jack earned their spots from last season but I'm not sure the selectors will
see it that way..

Reply #72
Casboult easily in the starting lineup.  Docherty?  No.