Skip to main content
Topic: Best 22 so far (Read 26196 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Best 22 so far

Reply #90
Newnes is a Wing/HFF, he's not a HBF.

If any of the new players are going to play off the HBF it's most likely to be Martin.

What does Simmo do if he finds himself in the Maggoos Rnd 1?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #91
Assuming everyone is fit:

Defenders:
Newman, Weitering, Plowman, Petrevski-Seton, Docherty, Jones, Simpson, Newnes

Midfielders:
Setterfield, Cripps, Walsh, Casboult, Kreuzer, Curnow, E, Murphy   

Forwards:
Silvagni, J, McKay, Betts, Martin, Curnow, C, McGovern, Gibbons   

Stiff to miss out:
Stocker, Marchbank, Dow, Cuningham, Kennedy, Williamson, O'Brien

There's a lot of versatility in our list now with several players more than capable of holding down roles as forwards, defenders or midfielders.

Newnes is a Wing/HFF, he's not a HBF.

Newnes describes himself as a defender/midfielder in the article I quoted from LP (now behind the paywall).  He said that he'll play any role apart from defensive half forward,

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #92
Assuming everyone is fit:

Defenders:
Newman, Weitering, Plowman, Petrevski-Seton, Docherty, Jones, Simpson, Newnes

Midfielders:
Setterfield, Cripps, Walsh, Casboult, Kreuzer, Curnow, E, Murphy   

Forwards:
Silvagni, J, McKay, Betts, Martin, Curnow, C, McGovern, Gibbons   

It seems to make sense if you just picked a team on best in a role but where is the speed?

That is one of the slowest possible teams you can build from our list!

Newnes describes himself as a defender/midfielder in the article I quoted from LP (now behind the paywall).  He said that he'll play any role apart from defensive half forward,

Hope he proves me wrong, if he does what of Simmo?

I think it's a big assumption to have Doc as a defender, he might not have the speed/run he had previously. I can see him turning over the HBF responsibilities to Stocker, SPS, O'Brien and others and heading into the midfield to support Ed and sMurph.

I expect guys like Dow, Fisher and Newnes will be the run and speed on the wings, no matter where they think they are best suited.

I've based this purely on the perceived attributes of certain players and what we lack as a group.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #93
It seems to make sense if you just picked a team on best in a role but where is the speed?

I think it's a big assumption to have Doc as a defender, he might not have the speed/run he had previously. I can see him turning over the HBF responsibilities to Stocker, SPS, O'Brien and others and heading into the midfield to support Ed and sMurph.

I expect guys like Dow, Fisher and Newnes will be the run and speed on the wings, no matter where they think they are best suited.

I've based this purely on the perceived attributes of certain players and what we lack as a group.

Not sure I'd be playing a bloke coming off two ACL's in the midfield, reckon straight ahead off the back flank nice and easy is the way to go.
One of our problems is smaller defenders who actually defend, we dont really have any apart from Stocker IMO, the others all play the rebound role well but
dont pick up a man and thats why someone like Plowman will get a game as his major attribute is defense.

Reply #94
Not sure I'd be playing a bloke coming off two ACL's in the midfield, reckon straight ahead off the back flank nice and easy is the way to go.

One of our problems is smaller defenders who actually defend, we dont really have any apart from Stocker IMO, the others all play the rebound role well but
dont pick up a man and thats why someone like Plowman will get a game as his major attribute is defense.

There are no straight ahead positions in modern football, and if you are at all suspect the opposition will take full advantage of it.

I think SPS defends fine but his pace is always a question mark, I think Newman did fine last season and will only get better with better players around him. O'Brien will be bigger and stronger this season.

I'm keen to see what Teague can deliver.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #95
There are no straight ahead positions in modern football, and if you are at all suspect the opposition will take full advantage of it.

I think SPS defends fine but his pace is always a question mark, I think Newman did fine last season and will only get better with better players around him. O'Brien will be bigger and stronger this season.

Funny I think SPS is quick enough but he doesnt stay with his man, Newman is a good interceptor rebounder but another IMHO who doesnt defend
that well all the time. Weitering and Plowman are our only traditional lock down types IMO.

Reply #96
So you prefer Plow - that's fine - but who is he replacing - it is bl00dy tough to find a spot:

B   Caleb MARCHBANK   Liam JONES   Nic NEWMAN

HB   Kade SIMPSON   Jacob WEITERING   Sam DOCHERTY

I think he would be head to head with Marchbank and that's a no-brainer for me. Plow would be the first one called on if there was an injury but I can't see him in the best 22 even if he did finish 3rd in the B&F.

I don't think its just me that prefers plow. As mentioned, he came 3rd in the B+F. Coaches love him too.

I already said Marchbank will need to earn his stripes, so take out Marchy and put in Plowman.

Back 6...
Plowman Weitering Docherty
Simpson Jones Newman

With other options....
Newnes, Martin, SPS taking the wings and a bench spot, but all capable of playing half back if required

Reply #97
I have to say I’m really surprised at how few rate Cunningham- if fit, he’d be one of the first I’d pick. Talent to burn and very dangerous around goal. Couldn’t possibly play Gibbons ahead of him?

Reply #98

OK, I admit that I forgot Fisher, but his 2019 was forgettable.

Who would you swap to gain speed LP?

If you accept that there are different aspects of speed; initial acceleration, closing speed, lateral movement speed, run down speed, run away speed, etc, I would argue that blokes like Jones, Samo, Simpson, Murphy, Martin, Betts, McKay, the Curnows, Gibbons and Newman are among our speediest players.  Newnes probably fits in there too.

As for Doc, there’s no reason why his ACL should hinder his return to All Australian defender status.  The way he is moving at training suggests that he’ll take up where he left off.  He could have the occasional stint in the midfield but he’s not a natural midfielder.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #99
I have to say I’m really surprised at how few rate Cunningham- if fit, he’d be one of the first I’d pick. Talent to burn and very dangerous around goal. Couldn’t possibly play Gibbons ahead of him?

It's not that he isn't rated.  Its literally to do with him being a glass man.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #100

Harsh Thry ... but hard to argue against.

It would be great if Cuningham could get through a season without injury.  I reckon he has the potential to be a game changer ... if he can stay on the park.

Reply #101
Glass man? Cunners isnt alone, here's a list of the blokes who are injured more often than not. Its a real concern of mine and why I was glad we Jack from the Hawks. So far though, he hasn't really shown why he has a reputation for keeping blokes on the park. If our fortunes are to turn around, we need to reduce the number of blokes injured for large chunks of the year.

Kennedy
Kruze
Mckay
TDK
Doc
Lang
Marchy
Macreadie
Cunners
Charlie
Willo
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #102

Footy smarts beat leg 'speed' every day of the week.

Blokes like Betts, Martin, Doc and SPS have that in spades.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #103
Its a real concern of mine and why I was glad we Jack from the Hawks. So far though, he hasn't really shown why he has a reputation for keeping blokes on the park.

Russell is a medico not a magician! Many of those players had pre existing injuries prior to his arrival. A couple of full preseasons under his guidance will get the players’ bodies right to stand up to the rigors of football and to aid swift recovery.

Reply #104
Glass man? Cunners isnt alone, here's a list of the blokes who are injured more often than not. Its a real concern of mine and why I was glad we Jack from the Hawks. So far though, he hasn't really shown why he has a reputation for keeping blokes on the park. If our fortunes are to turn around, we need to reduce the number of blokes injured for large chunks of the year.

Kennedy
Kruze
Mckay
TDK
Doc
Lang
Marchy
Macreadie
Cunners
Charlie
Willo

Doc isnt a glass man.  He has had all of 2 knee reconstructions in 2 years and before that was in the team pretty much every week.

I rate most of these guys.  Its really hard to put them in our best 22 when the caveat states "when fit".  Someone like Kreuzer is 30 years old and has stayed fit for about half a year every year since he first started breaking down.  That means that he is only best 22 when fit, and most of the time isnt in our best 22.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson