Skip to main content
Topic: Best 22 so far (Read 26176 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Best 22 so far

Reply #105
Footy smarts beat leg 'speed' every day of the week.

Blokes like Betts, Martin, Doc and SPS have that in spades.

In one on one I agree, but collectively you have to get the ball first and hit clean targets with it.

If we took that slow team into a game against Nthmond or the Filth we'd barely touch the pill for four quarters! They only need to remain disciplined to create an overlap and make use of one weak link. The script would be pretty simple;

- No center clearance opposition score.

- Carlton center clearance, miss target, no defensive pressure/run, opposition score.

- Opposition clear, opposition score.

The balance of power is not a 50/50 split.

The problem becomes critical when you are both slowish and not efficient by hand and foot, it's the difference between Sam Mitchell and Tom Mitchell, and why many think Tom is way over-rated.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #106
Doc isnt a glass man.  He has had all of 2 knee reconstructions in 2 years and before that was in the team pretty much every week.

I rate most of these guys.  Its really hard to put them in our best 22 when the caveat states "when fit".  Someone like Kreuzer is 30 years old and has stayed fit for about half a year every year since he first started breaking down.  That means that he is only best 22 when fit, and most of the time isnt in our best 22.

Kreuzer averages just under 17 games per season, and that’s skewed by his one game in 2014. I’d say he is remarkably durable for his role, workload and injury history.  Remember that he missed only one game in 2016 and 2017.

Doc had a history of hip and knee issues before he joined us; one of the reasons he missed a lot of footy early in his career.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #107
I don't think its just me that prefers plow. As mentioned, he came 3rd in the B+F. Coaches love him too.

I already said Marchbank will need to earn his stripes, so take out Marchy and put in Plowman.

Back 6...
Plowman Weitering Docherty
Simpson Jones Newman

With other options....
Newnes, Martin, SPS taking the wings and a bench spot, but all capable of playing half back if required

Will be interesting to see how preseason plays out if all can stay fit.

Marchbank running around in the VFL? I can't really see that happening but you never know.

I rate Plowman as a good battler but he lacks speed / elite disposal / height / marking power.

Reply #108
In one on one I agree, but collectively you have to get the ball first and hit clean targets with it.

If we took that slow team into a game against Nthmond or the Filth we'd barely touch the pill for four quarters! They only need to remain disciplined to create an overlap and make use of one weak link. The script would be pretty simple;

- No center clearance opposition score.

- Carlton center clearance, miss target, no defensive pressure/run, opposition score.

- Opposition clear, opposition score.

The balance of power is not a 50/50 split.

The problem becomes critical when you are both slowish and not efficient by hand and foot, it's the difference between Sam Mitchell and Tom Mitchell, and why many think Tom is way over-rated.

Winning the ball and dishing it of are more about speed of mind than speed of foot.

So, i disagree again.  ;)
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #109
Winning the ball and dishing it of are more about speed of mind than speed of foot.

So, i disagree again.  ;)

Pressure acts are far more important than fans appreciate, errors come from applied(forced rushed disposals) and inferred pressure(the fear of causing a turnover).

If a team is physically slow;

- It lacks ability to apply pressure, ultimately leading to it's opponent having improved efficiency.

- Additional pressure is present during disposal.

- Recovering from mistakes is harder relative to the opposition.

AFL clubs have to get the balance right or the game is lost at the selection table, a bias is created.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #110
Kreuzer averages just under 17 games per season, and that’s skewed by his one game in 2014. I’d say he is remarkably durable for his role, workload and injury history.  Remember that he missed only one game in 2016 and 2017.

Doc had a history of hip and knee issues before he joined us; one of the reasons he missed a lot of footy early in his career.

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/S/Sam_Docherty.html

The stats say that he just worked his way up to playing full season.

Kreuzer is a different kettle of fish.  His averages might point to him being fit and durable, but ill go he if he didnt take the field in a compromised physical condition and you can generally tell when he has played under duress.

There was a season not long ago, that he failed to finish the game more often than he finished the game.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #111
Pressure acts are far more important than fans appreciate, errors come from applied(forced rushed disposals) and inferred pressure(the fear of causing a turnover).

If a team is physically slow;

- It lacks ability to apply pressure, ultimately leading to it's opponent having improved efficiency.

- Additional pressure is present during disposal.

- Recovering from mistakes is harder relative to the opposition.

AFL clubs have to get the balance right or the game is lost at the selection table, a bias is created.

I generally agree. Too many folks use Diesel and Sam Mitchell as examples, but they are once in a generation players. The average tortoise doesn't have the ability / skill / footy brain to get away with lack of pace like those blokes.

Reply #112
I generally agree. Too many folks use Diesel and Sam Mitchell as examples, but they are once in a generation players. The average tortoise doesn't have the ability / skill / footy brain to get away with lack of pace like those blokes.

Yes there is good.

Then there are blokes like Leigh Matthews, Gary Ablett Snr, Greg Williams and Sam Mitchell, a different ruler is needed to measure their performance!

Can Cripps get there, it doesn't seem impossible?

Fans expecting to rest of our plodders to make up for their lack of pure speed by playing like Lethal seems a tad unreasonable! I think this aspect of making us competitive is Teague's biggest test.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #113

Fans expecting to rest of our plodders to make up for their lack of pure speed by playing like Lethal seems a tad unreasonable! I think this aspect of making us competitive is Teague's biggest test.

Judging by the talk coming from the club (Judd, Teague, Harford), I'm guessing development is out the window, or on the back burner. I guessing it's wins all the way, and I'm guessing Teague will follow the current trends wrt game style as I outlined in my Scrapbook thread.

Reply #116
If nothing else we can probably see the overall list benefit and influence that recruiting some players with strong work ethics.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #117
Yes there is good.

Then there are blokes like Leigh Matthews, Gary Ablett Snr, Greg Williams and Sam Mitchell, a different ruler is needed to measure their performance!

Can Cripps get there, it doesn't seem impossible?

No one - giants aside perhaps - are slow....at senior AFL level.

Chuck, Harry, the Guv - pretty darn quick. Usain Bolt is 195cm (height not the inhibiting factor)

The gap between the Philps and the 'hacks' at the combine is perhaps 0.3 seconds over 20m.

And that's straight, point to point uninhibited speed.

A smart footy brain. one that can anticipate, covers that off easily.

Knowing and/or working out (learning) when to go - and where to go - far more telling.

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #118
No use being quick if you cant get the ball, Tom Mitchell isnt overated at all IMO, he won a brownlow and dumb coaches like Bolton let him run around on his own and get 45 possies a game and 3 brownlow votes. No 1 skill in football is to be able to win the ball, you need to be able to win contested footy on a consistent basis, if you dont have enough of those contested players you can have all the pace you like but you wont win games.

eg Essendon are quick and play pretty outside running football and have played that style for years but are carp.....we saw the Bulldogs come from nowhere to win a flag by forcing contests/gang tackling and making the game ugly.

Reply #119
No use being quick if you cant get the ball, Tom Mitchell isnt overated at all IMO, he won a brownlow and dumb coaches like Bolton let him run around on his own and get 45 possies a game and 3 brownlow votes. No 1 skill in football is to be able to win the ball, you need to be able to win contested footy on a consistent basis, if you dont have enough of those contested players you can have all the pace you like but you wont win games.

eg Essendon are quick and play pretty outside running football and have played that style for years but are carp.....we saw the Bulldogs come from nowhere to win a flag by forcing contests/gang tackling and making the game ugly.

The point is the successful teams have an appropriate balance that they can make use of accordingly, imbalance being the aspect I raised about the earlier team.

FWIW, I think Tom is great at winning the football but his disposal is not damaging like a Dusty or Shuey, some rounds Tom struggled to hit the side of a barn leaving more than 1/2 his efforts wasted!

But I'm not big on the Brownlow as a measure, look at Dangerfield, we know know an effective disposal is anything that goes 50m even if it goes straight to an opponent which is the majority of his disposals go to nobody or to the opposition! Similar to Tom Mitchell!

We aren't free of players like this, as good as he is in my opinion Cripps biggest issue is poor disposal efficiency.
The Force Awakens!