Skip to main content
Topic: Best 22 so far (Read 25514 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Best 22 so far

Reply #135
I don't think anyone's forgotten how good he was.  We are just tempering our expectations as the bloke has played 0 football for 2 seasons and just having him back out there and not getting hurt is a win for both him and the club.  He can save his career best form for finals.
If only the same could be said with people in regards to willo.
Has played about the same, but hadn't even cemented a spot in the side beforehand...unlike doc who was AA and best and fairest.

Reply #136
I
If only the same could be said with people in regards to willo.
Has played about the same, but hadn't even cemented a spot in the side beforehand...unlike doc who was AA and best and fairest.
No one is suggesting he was AA
His form was very good in 2017 for an 18 year old.
He is a good kick, fast and tough.
Carlton don’t have many like that so the enthusiasm in his ability is understandable

Reply #137
I No one is suggesting he was AA
His form was very good in 2017 for an 18 year old.
He is a good kick, fast and tough.
Carlton don’t have many like that so the enthusiasm in his ability is understandable

Agree, for a pick 60 odd you dont get much better, its been a real shame too see him struggle with his back as he is
a very decent player who is the complete package IMO and not the usual Von Trapp like kid we tend to recruit
who is skillful but lacks in the physical aspects of the game. Williamson impressed from day 1 and would be an automatic
in my best 22 if fit and firing.

Reply #138
Ang Christou was AA once upon a time.
Had back issues and never recovered.
Could barely get a game (in a better side, sure) and never recaptured his pre-injury form. Lucky to play half the games in any given year since.

He WAS AA, and couldn't recover.
Willo is still a kid, and as good as he might have been, never showed as much as Ang at the same age.....and will likely never reach his own potential.

IMO, Willo is more likely to be delisted than be a regular in a few years time.

I hope i'm wrong, but statistically, back injuries ruin careers more than just about any other injury i think.

Reply #139
Ang Christou was AA once upon a time.
Had back issues and never recovered.
Could barely get a game (in a better side, sure) and never recaptured his pre-injury form. Lucky to play half the games in any given year since.

He WAS AA, and couldn't recover.
Willo is still a kid, and as good as he might have been, never showed as much as Ang at the same age.....and will likely never reach his own potential.

IMO, Willo is more likely to be delisted than be a regular in a few years time.

I hope i'm wrong, but statistically, back injuries ruin careers more than just about any other injury i think.

I think the discussion was based on if everyone is fit and firing.
Fit and firing Willo is easy best 22

What may or may not happen injury wise is a completely different thing

And Willo has easily shown what Christou did at the same age when fit.

Reply #140

I'll agree to disagree that Willo has shown as much.

Point i am making is Willo will never be fit and firing....not to the same extent he was previously IMO.
Even if he was, who does he push out of our back 6?

I'd have him behind...
Jones
Weitering
Simpson
Docherty
Newman
SPS
Plowman

and have to fight for a spot with.....
Marchbank
Stocker

Reply #141

I agree.

It's not as simple as just naming a bunch of defenders because Williamson showed so much more when he fired up! I'm sure if he could have got his body right there would be no debates surrounding retaining Simmo, and we wouldn't have missed Doc so much, because Wiliamson's best is in that category!

I agree with Kruddler on the Stocker comparison, but let's face it Stocker is yet to fire to the same level that Williamson already showed.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #142
I'll agree to disagree that Willo has shown as much.

Point i am making is Willo will never be fit and firing....not to the same extent he was previously IMO.
Even if he was, who does he push out of our back 6?

I'd have him behind...
Jones
Weitering
Simpson
Docherty
Newman
SPS
Plowman

and have to fight for a spot with.....
Marchbank
Stocker

You don’t know what his injuries will do to him.
You don’t know what they will do to Doc.
You don’t know who will or won’t sustain injuries, and as a result the discussion was clearly if everyone was fit and firing

Reply #143
You don’t know what his injuries will do to him.
You don’t know what they will do to Doc.
You don’t know who will or won’t sustain injuries, and as a result the discussion was clearly if everyone was fit and firing

So as i said....assuming everyone is fit and firing....which players would you have him ahead from that list?

Reply #144
I agree.

It's not as simple as just naming a bunch of defenders because Williamson showed so much more when he fired up! I'm sure if he could have got his body right there would be no debates surrounding retaining Simmo, and we wouldn't have missed Doc so much, because Wiliamson's best is in that category!

I agree with Kruddler on the Stocker comparison, but let's face it Stocker is yet to fire to the same level that Williamson already showed.

His stigma is growing more and more by the day. In the same category as Simmo and Doc now? FFS.

I did some fact checking....
Willo played in 15 matches back in 2017.
The best and fairest votes for that year display players who got 5 or more votes in any given game. The amount of players who achieve that can vary from 4 to 15 or more and probably average about 9 or so players a game.
How many times from those 15 games did Willo make it in category of 5+ votes? Once.
He was 1 of 9 players who got votes.

....and what about his 2 games in 2019? Did not get a single vote in his 2 appearances.
In round 9, 19 of 22 players got votes, he was one of 3 players who did not.

So he has made it in the 'bests', once at best.

What parallel universe do i have to be in for him to be compared to Simmo who has played 300+ games, or Doc who is current (co)captain, former B+F winner and AA....or even a former premiership player and AA in Christou.

I wish nothing against the kid, but seriously, he has shown 3/5's of F*** all so far....and nothing to warrant the hype he seems to receive on here.

Reply #145
His stigma is growing more and more by the day. In the same category as Simmo and Doc now? FFS.

I did some fact checking....
Willo played in 15 matches back in 2017.
The best and fairest votes for that year display players who got 5 or more votes in any given game. The amount of players who achieve that can vary from 4 to 15 or more and probably average about 9 or so players a game.
How many times from those 15 games did Willo make it in category of 5+ votes? Once.
He was 1 of 9 players who got votes.

....and what about his 2 games in 2019? Did not get a single vote in his 2 appearances.
In round 9, 19 of 22 players got votes, he was one of 3 players who did not.

So he has made it in the 'bests', once at best.

What parallel universe do i have to be in for him to be compared to Simmo who has played 300+ games, or Doc who is current (co)captain, former B+F winner and AA....or even a former premiership player and AA in Christou.

I wish nothing against the kid, but seriously, he has shown 3/5's of F*** all so far....and nothing to warrant the hype he seems to receive on here.

Some players look the part from day 1...Williamson is one of those players...Stocker is another, they just have that intrinsic
quality that they can handle the step up to senior footy better than some other kids and mix it with senior players.
eg Dow and Obrien might have been higher draft pick wise for example but dont give you that same maturity or confidence.
Not sure if he will make it back to regular senior footy given his injuries but he is a serious footballer when fit and gives you that
mix of defense and attack. He is quick for a 190cm player and kicks the ball as well as anyone on the list plus can actually defend a man unlike a lot of our rebound defenders who are purely rebounders only. Sure he has only a small sample of work to go by but I have seen enough to know he has been a big loss IMHO.

Reply #147
Simpson, SPS, Plowman, Newman
 Maybe ahead of Simmo and Plowman, SPS is a different type and can play many roles while Newman is a mile ahead of the rest.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #148
Maybe ahead of Simmo and Plowman, SPS is a different type and can play many roles while Newman is a mile ahead of the rest.
SPS is a midfielder IMO and a waste on the HBF and he doesnt defend anyway and is purely a rebounder IMO, its given him some confidence etc but with Docherty back its time for him to return to the midfield.
Newman can be spasmodic with his defensive efforts, I like him as a player but his strengths are his distribution and intercept work
rather than pure one on one defending IMO and thats why I rate Williamson as he doesnt mind sticking to his man body on body
and being in their face. If fit I would also consider Williamson for a position on the wing given his attributes.

Reply #149
SPS is a midfielder IMO and a waste on the HBF and he doesnt defend anyway and is purely a rebounder IMO, its given him some confidence etc but with Docherty back its time for him to return to the midfield.
Newman can be spasmodic with his defensive efforts, I like him as a player but his strengths are his distribution and intercept work
rather than pure one on one defending IMO and thats why I rate Williamson as he doesnt mind sticking to his man body on body
and being in their face. If fit I would also consider Williamson for a position on the wing given his attributes.

Exactly as I see it.
SPS must be more of a mid.
Has all the attributes and we need mids.
Williamson, when fit will outperform the others as he is tough, and can defend properly.
His kicking is a weapon