Skip to main content
Topic: VFL Rd 19: Northern Blues vs Box Hill (Read 9477 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL Rd 19: Northern Blues vs Box Hill

Reply #30
Gave all those who work do hard in community radio to present a genuine service, a really bad name.

Although their humour was very, very sad I am grateful that they gave up their time to broadcast the game... better than nothing and saved me a trip to Box Hill to endure another capitulation. You're so right to point out the hard work and great service of folks in community radio.  :)
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #31
Need to revisit the NB's association, not sure playing with those NB's bananas is helping our young players develop...rather a standalone team and pay some better VFL players to cross to us and have a stronger team.

Agree. I know you and I have been particularly vocal on this fro a number of years now. I hope we go with a stand alone team very soon!

Reply #32
Agree. I know you and I have been particularly vocal on this fro a number of years now. I hope we go with a stand alone team very soon!

This little black duck has also been singing that tune... this compromise with Preston aint working and we definitely need a stand alone VFL team - definitely!
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #33
Need to revisit the NB's association, not sure playing with those NB's bananas is helping our young players develop...rather a standalone team and pay some better VFL players to cross to us and have a stronger team.
I have no idea how things are going to work for us or for the other aligned teams: having no Development side guts the whole concept of 'alignment'.
Whatever it is called next year, it WILL be a Carlton team with a few extras.
It means that the AFL have decided to waste all of the work we've put in over the last decade or more.

I think a stand alone team is probably best for Carlton, but I want the choice. We were forced together, granted, but we were together and working about as well as we could.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #34
Thanks for the updates Baggers. Today and throughout the season.  :)

As for NB's. It was another, dare I say it, another mirror performance to our seniors. How often that happens!

I hope those AFL listed players feel satisfied with their efforts. D day is looming and their fate will soon be revealed.

Did we finish a bit higher on the ladder than last year? That was one of my "signs of progress".
Yes, thanks to Baggers and all the others who have given us some coverage. I wish I could have been at more games.

The relatively poor performers of today will not be with us next year.
I know Sumner has been told. I don't know about Gorringe or Jaksch, but they will be. And soon. That is disappointing, as I really had hopes for all 3. And it makes the trade with GWS look pretty ordinary.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #35
How is it the box Hill Hawks can make it work but we can't??

Why aren't we investing more into that team??
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #36
Because Preston can't attract any decent players and if they do develop anybody they get poached by the likes of Willy's etc.

Considering that the Cannons and the Knights U18's, plus the "Northern League" (the old Diamond Valley e.g. Heidelberg (s), St. Mary's, MacLeod, Reservoir, West Preston-Lakeside, etc etc) and some strong ammo clubs (Banyule, Old Ivanhoe etc) feed into Preston I could never understand why they don't have first-class non-listed talent.

I suspect it's because everybody knows that the set up stank down there (and is probably still on the nose) so you are better off playing elsewhere if you are good enough to play state league.

Carlton needs to spend some coin and get some good second tier talent (such as O'Shea this year) in to kick-start the Preston set up and assist development, as playing with numpties and getting flogged each week isn't going to develop the listed kids.

DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #37
Because Preston can't attract any decent players and if they do develop anybody they get poached by the likes of Willy's etc.

Considering that the Cannons and the Knights U18's, plus the "Northern League" (the old Diamond Valley e.g. Heidelberg (s), St. Mary's, MacLeod, Reservoir, West Preston-Lakeside, etc etc) and some strong ammo clubs (Banyule, Old Ivanhoe etc) feed into Preston I could never understand why they don't have first-class non-listed talent.

I suspect it's because everybody knows that the set up stank down there (and is probably still on the nose) so you are better off playing elsewhere if you are good enough to play state league.

Carlton needs to spend some coin and get some good second tier talent (such as O'Shea this year) in to kick-start the Preston set up and assist development, as playing with numpties and getting flogged each week isn't going to develop the listed kids.

x10....Been poor since Teague left and core players like Marcon, Lambert, Meese etc moved on and we have struggled to attract talent since....needs more money put into the setup and some hope sold for players to be drafted or rookied....burns me a bit seeing Lambert doing well for Richmond and offered another contract.

Reply #38

Good question Thry!

I think that the "stand alone VFL team" advocates like to forget the success that Hawthorn has had with the former Mustangs.

As others have suggested, part of the solution is putting more money into the NBs.  However, another part of the story is promoting the NBs as a possible pathway to AFL for those who weren't drafted.  Then there's encouraging retired AFL players to go around again in the VFL.  While you don't want "list cloggers" in the VFL, blokes like Dennis Armfield would be ideal role models for both AFL listed and NBs players.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #39

It's a very different setup to the NB partnership, the Dawks basically run Box Hill.

I think the shortfall this season says more about our AFL list depth than it does the formal relationship between Carlton and Preston. Look at our Carlton injury list and put half those guys back into a rotation and NBs would be flying like earlier in the season!

Losing the Dev league will hurt our International Rookie system, but overall I happy with what Fraser has been doing at VFL level.

One thing of note, when the Dawks or Nthmond players are not required for VFL they go back to VAFA or local football to play as the standard of football is well above the Dev league. But I don't see many or any NBs players in the VAFA on a regular basis, were do they go?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #40
It's a very different setup to the NB partnership, the Dawks basically run Box Hill.

I think the shortfall this season says more about our AFL list depth than it does the formal relationship between Carlton and Preston. Look at our Carlton injury list and put half those guys back into a rotation and NBs would be flying like earlier in the season!

Losing the Dev league will hurt our International Rookie system, but overall I happy with what Fraser has been doing at VFL level.

One thing of note, when the Dawks or Nthmond players are not required for VFL they go back to VAFA or local football to play as the standard of football is well above the Dev league. But I don't see many or any NBs players in the VAFA on a regular basis, were do they go?

That's a nice excuse,  but it's exactly that, an excuse.

If we wanted to run Preston we could, but given where our AFL team has been in the past there is nothing to say we could get that setup right until recently.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #41
x10....Been poor since Teague left and core players like Marcon, Lambert, Meese etc moved on and we have struggled to attract talent since....needs more money put into the setup and some hope sold for players to be drafted or rookied....burns me a bit seeing Lambert doing well for Richmond and offered another contract.

Teague looked a really good coach. Reckon he could do well with a senior gig somewhere.

Reply #42
Teague looked a really good coach. Reckon he could do well with a senior gig somewhere.

If Barker goes then Teague would be a good replacement IMO...thought he was great at the NB's..

Reply #43
If Barker goes then Teague would be a good replacement IMO...thought he was great at the NB's..

Does that mean you don't rate Fraser? :o

It's only a couple of months ago everyone was raving about how well the NBs were going!

Must we keep hanging coaches whenever injuries decimate our lists, is this Ratten all over again, how about we try building some depth first?

I think we've a pretty good development crew compared to recent seasons, we'd be foolish to dismantle it.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #44
Used to be that if you were at the knights and weren't drafted you went to Preston.  That isnt happening ATM.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?