Skip to main content
Topic: Northern Blues vs North Ballarat Practice match (Read 2204 times) previous topic - next topic

Northern Blues vs North Ballarat Practice match

I wish I could write a better report, but....
Unlike about 95% of the crowd, I waited around after the game to watch the Baby Blues play their practice match. It was quite a strange affair under the (lack of) lights at Eureka Stadium. The first quarter lasted only 14 minutes (although the time clock was working for this game, even though it was not working during the main game. I have no intention of explaining that one.) and I gather that was the way of things for the rest of the night. (You can also gather I did not stay for the whole game).
I hope RR or some of the others may be able to shine a little light (pun intended) on what happened.

Why did I NOT stay? I had no idea who the players were. There was no record or team sheet provided and there were few players I recognized from last year. There may have been a few Carlton players running around, but I found it difficult to recognize them. I am pretty sure Simon White was playing across half back (and was one of our better players).

Basically the Blues lacked a lot of cohesion and a lot of class. Our disposal was ordinary, which made our game plan hard to determine. However, I was very pleased with the tackling pressure on a team that had a lot more class and cohesion (the Roosters). The closer the Blues could manage to keep it, the better for the Blues it was; when the ball broke free, the Roosters' better skills usually allowed them to move the ball around the ground fairly well.

Anyone who could shred more light on proceedings (OK, I'll stop the light puns) would be appreciated.
Live Long and Prosper!