Skip to main content
Topic: New Skipper? (Read 79266 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: New Skipper?

Reply #15
They'll look at it as Bolton said, but I reckon Murphy will be the skipper again.

What jumped out at me was:

"We're a club in a hurry. The club finished on the bottom of the ladder, we needed to make some bold decisions and we have, and that's exciting."

No hanging around at the bottom of the ladder for us!
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #16
Not out of the question given Nick Maxwell and Tom Harley were appointed more for political/factional reasons than being outstanding footballers.....

Cmon EB1. We are talking about two AA Premiership Captains......and then Simon White. 50 games in 8 or so years and got most of his games in a very poor side.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #17
Double post  :-[
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #18
I think our club has selected captains on marketability .

I couldn't care if it's Tutt or Jones, as long as it's for the right reasons.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #19
I personally have no issue with Cripps taking it over. Already the best player on the list and seems level headed enough to lead and develop. Could have it for 10 years no problem.

Way too early to appoint Cripps as captain role, he could be made DVC as part of his overall development but anything more than that would be incredibly silly. He's got enough to worry about just as a player, he doesn't need the additional burden right now.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #20
If there is to be a change, it will look something like :

(c) Simpson or Kreuzer
(vc) White
(dvc) Cripps
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #21
If we are going to change the skipper I don't think it would be for another of the "old guard". It would more likely be as part of the culture change that we are currently seeing and I think SOS is out the move on as many of the old boys as he can reasonably do over the next couple of years.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #22
If there is to be a change, it will look something like :

(c) Simpson or Kreuzer
(vc) White
(dvc) Cripps

Captaincy is 50% media. Kreuz doesn't do media, Simpson doesn't seem to like it, Cripps has a stutter and is a kid.

I think Murphy and Gibbs will have the acid put on them to earn leadership roles.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #23
Cmon EB1. We are talking about two AA Premiership Captains......and then Simon White. 50 games in 8 or so years and got most of his games in a very poor side.

Harley was a bit player from Port until made captain and that was because Geelong had a couple factions who each wanted one of their own and Harley was seen as a neutral
who both groups would agree to..

Its probably not going to happen anyway with White as you suggest as we tend to go with Blue Chip players as a skipper, all I am saying is that  White could be in the frame if
we have some factional issues or the players are not happy with Murphy, Cripps etc...White appears a popular player within the group and while no star is one of our senior players..

Reply #24
It's so refreshing listening to someone like BB after the crap we had to put up from MM during interviews. I think we will review it and Murphy will prove to be the best candidate.

Reply #25
In among the wreckage of last year was one bright spot for me - post-Judd, I think Murphy did a great job as captain.  Led from the front despite the depleted playing list.

With no other obvious replacement, I think it would be a big mistake to change right now.

I think the story in the papers is more about BB saying "anything from the past is changeable" as opposed to "we need a new captain".

This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #26
If you can look at the games after Malthouse was sacked and tell me that Murphy wasn't leading, then I'd suggest you're an idiot. ???

Murphy is the obvious choice to hold the captaincy until, Cripps or Weitering is ready. The work captains have to do with meetings alone would double the captain work load overnight. Give him a seat at the leadership table, get used to making decisions at a club level, but let them develop their games before loading up with the responsibility of captaincy. Both Cripps and Weitering have the weight of Carlton supporters already on their shoulders, leave it at that.

Murphy - Captain.
Simspon Kruezer - VC
Gibbs, White, Cripps - Leadership

Reply #27
Hopefully the next Skipper, if it isn't Murph, will pick himself by his leadership and deeds over the next 8 or so weeks. Cripps might demand it; Kerridge might demand it, someone we're not focussed on might demand it. It's almost a new club so changing Skipper is not the issue it might normally be. There might be a natural Skipper in this group eager to show his wares.

At this stage you'd have to believe Murph is leading any group of possible Skippers. A lot can change in the next coupla months though. In some respects it would be nice to see Murph unencumbered by the captaincy as he's a brilliant small mid/forward and if that was all he had to focus on he just might produce a season or 3 to remember, though you'd really still want him in the leadership group.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #28
Stick with Murph for the next 2 seasons, then Cripps will be ready.

Murph will relish playing his last few seasons without the responsibility.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #29
I should add that I think that there is nothing wrong with reviewing all leadership positions at the end of each season and making changes where appropriate. 

We should really have three or four blokes who are more than capable of taking on the captaincy and there's no reason why it can't be assigned to different leaders each season.