Skip to main content
Topic: New Skipper? (Read 79531 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: New Skipper?

Reply #60
This is just my own personal view but I reckon a "Judd" type leader is exactly what we need with this new group. Firstly, by Judd like, I mean one who lets his footy do the talking. He brought players with him through his behavior and actions during the week and on game day. I think the new crop that has been brought in seem to be self motivated and professional enough that they dont need the Johnathan Brown type of booming voice constantly in their ears. They all seem talented and driven enough to warrant and respond best to the Judd style of leadership. This is why I reckon if Murphy just focuses on footy again and can get back to the way we all know he can play, he will bring these guys with him ala Judd. Hope this makes sense.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #61
Murphy has hardly delivered on the field since he was captain.

I would make Gibbs, Murphy and Kreuzer co captains until Weitering is ready.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #62
Murphy has hardly delivered on the field since he was captain.

I would make Gibbs, Murphy and Kreuzer co captains until Weitering is ready.

I'm hoping that under the new coach we won't see the captain or other stars abandoned and sacrificed like we did in the past. I hope the team sticks fat and defends each other with a one-in all-in attitude!

If Murphy gets half the protection that someone like Mitchell or Hodge gets we see him starring week in and week out! ;)

Perhaps Gorringe or even a fit Wood working in tandem with Kreuzer can change the attitudes.

Plowman also looks to have a bit of aggro about him, Kerridge hopefully the same.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #64
If Murphy gets half the protection that someone like Mitchell or Hodge gets we see him starring week in and week out! ;)

Those guys stand up for themselves. You don't see them fall over and get up real slow when they get pushed around.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #65
Those guys stand up for themselves. You don't see them fall over and get up real slow when they get pushed around.

If Hodge gets hit the offender is surrounded by Hodge's team-mates in seconds. If either Mitchell or Hodge get put down one of their team-mates will pick them up just as quickly.

Our blokes run on by Murphy, but not just Murphy, Judd, Carrazzo, etc., etc..

They run on by anyone who is put down, so much so the TAC should consider using a clip of Carlton playing as a message to embarrass the gutless people who flee the scene of an accident!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #66
If Hodge gets hit the offender is surrounded by Hodge's team-mates in seconds. If either Mitchell or Hodge get put down one of their team-mates will pick them up just as quickly.

Our blokes run on by Murphy, but not just Murphy, Judd, Carrazzo, etc., etc..

They run on by anyone who is put down, so much so the TAC should consider using a clip of Carlton playing as a message to embarrass the gutless people who flee the scene of an accident!

I expect that may be one of the deficiencies Bolton addresses first up.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #67

....amen.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #68

Yes - I hope the whole "get around him" mentality isn't just for those that score goals.

EDIT : in fact, if Bolton is as good a teacher as they say, I hope he can teach Simon White a thing or two about protecting teammates without attracting unfavorable attention. He could be very handy keeping Murph and Cripps company around the packs.

Reply #69

You can see it's the first thing he is addressing. "united" is his Catch cry and I suspect he means that to the board as well. He and SOS are leading from the front working together and the first 3 weeks have been dedicated to this.

I mean we have seen it as supporters for nearly 7 years, doesn't take a genius to realise we have failed to address it on the field.

Some of those players that were shipped out of the club were all "me first" Players when you think about it.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #70
No to co-captains can't stand that stuff personally.

Give it to Simpson, already the real leader out there and deserves it also. Has it for a year or two and then off to Cripps or Weitering whoever is right at the time.

At least have a vote again, if Murphy is made captain again by a player vote I would seriously be gob smacked but fair enough.

Reply #71
Murphy is a good player and all that but isn't a very good captain in my view.

He get's beaten up physically on the field. Now seems like a pretty good time to sort this out.

Kreuzer is the man... straight-lines the ball, always gives 100%. Never gives up.

Hand over to Cripps in a few years.

Reply #72
This is just my own personal view but I reckon a "Judd" type leader is exactly what we need with this new group. Firstly, by Judd like, I mean one who lets his footy do the talking. He brought players with him through his behavior and actions during the week and on game day. I think the new crop that has been brought in seem to be self motivated and professional enough that they dont need the Johnathan Brown type of booming voice constantly in their ears. They all seem talented and driven enough to warrant and respond best to the Judd style of leadership. This is why I reckon if Murphy just focuses on footy again and can get back to the way we all know he can play, he will bring these guys with him ala Judd. Hope this makes sense.

It makes sense. Your basically saying actions speak louder than words and if Murphy can lead by example with his actions, he doesn't need to say much to inspire players to perform. I hope we have a skipper picked over the next few seasons that will help us get some score on the board with victories. Kreuzer doesn't sound like a bad option if he can stay on the park with maybe Simpson as VC. If Murphy doesn't get the gig.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #73
It makes sense. Your basically saying actions speak louder than words and if Murphy can lead by example with his actions, he doesn't need to say much to inspire players to perform. I hope we have a skipper picked over the next few seasons that will help us get some score on the board with victories. Kreuzer doesn't sound like a bad option if he can stay on the park with maybe Simpson as VC. If Murphy doesn't get the gig.

In fact, Murphy is a quite vocal leader on and off the field, but in a very measured way.  The players seem to respond well to him if the game he was miked up in is any guide.  I don't think Kreuzer would have the same ability to communicate with team mates, but you never know.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #74
Stick with Murph, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone like 2E got the gig.